SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my Megan Racing coilovers on my AWD combined with the 27mm rear bar. However, some of the roads around here are F#! $ ED up. Especially downtown where I work. I have found that setting #2 almost full soft is nearly perfect for soaking up the rough stufff. But, when I get to the highway speeds above 70mph can be too much for the soft setting. I really need a 12 to 16 on the front to make things feel really stable.

So, I have been doing some searching and it appears the nissan guys are retrofitting TIEN EDFC systems to work on other coilovers. It doesn't look too difficult but I dont know if the servos will clear the hood. Has anyone used this system on a C30, S40, V50?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is the unit I am talking about

·
Registered
92 Posts
Looks like a really cool system. I think the servos will clear, but you might want to do a provisional check with cardboard boxes or something.

Another question: you altered the rear coilovers to fit AWD right? Was that difficult?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would love to check the clearance of the servos but I cant find the dimensions of the actuator anywhere. Also the hood has some bracing right in that area. I would prefer not to cut that since it will look ugly with the hood open. I know, I know, because racecar makes it ok. If anyone has access to one of these sercos I would love x, y, z mesurements of the unit.

Yes, I had to narrow the bottom bushing of the strut by 2mm each side. Just used an angle grinder. It took about two minutes per side. Super easy. Make sure you set the length of the strut equal to the free hanging hub when you have your spring height set. If you dont, the strut may be too long or short and cause a nasty ride.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just bid on a set of servos I think will work. I also contacted Tien in Japan. My Japanese is a little rusty but I think I explained the dimensions I need propperly. I doubt the hex adjustment pin is the same size and length as the Megan but hopefully I can find out what servos have the correct mounting diameter. Then all I need to do is make an adapter pin that goes in between the servo pin and the adjustment socket on the strut like the Nissan guys are doing.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wholly crap the ebay seller accepted my offer for $100 shipped for the EDFC controller, cables and four servos! I guess if I break something or the number of turns are not compatible its no big loss. Ill find out if it fits under the hood in 6 days.

·
Registered
92 Posts
$100?! Nice find. The full-kit on their website is $253. Where are you going to mount the controller?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, IF it works I am planning on pulling the controller appart and tapping the P1,2,3 push buttons. This is a 1990's technology so the buttons should be micro switches. If thats the case once I set the three programmable set points I will run wires to dash push buttons and just hide the unit in the dash or under a seat. I want as little showing as possible so I can park the car anywhere. Not a fan of crackheads smashing my window when i park downtown Houston. Hence the stock wheels for now ;)

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update incase anyone is interested.

TIEN does make adapters for different struts. These are made to order and I have no idea what dimensions are needed for the volvo. Also found the dimensions of the servos in both Japanese and English if anyone wants them to confirm if the kits will work with your coilovers.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Wholly crap the ebay seller accepted my offer for $100 shipped for the EDFC controller, cables and four servos! I guess if I break something or the number of turns are not compatible its no big loss. Ill find out if it fits under the hood in 6 days.
WHOA. I'm jealous. Keep updating!

I loved the EDFC on my old Supra. I think a better question is whether or not they degree of movement matches that of your dampers....

Also, sedan guys couldn't use these in the rear without mounting them to the remote adjusters.

You'll probably want this too: http://www.rallysportdirect.com/shop/product/tei-edk06-k4474-tein-edfc-strut-kit

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
TIEN makes a remote adjustment cable for that. Also, no need for brackets on this particular coilover. May need to unplug the rears if I change the strut length though.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was thinking about the movement issue too. The system is supposed to "auto detect" the end stops. If it doesn't have enough range I will go on the low side. The dampers are impossibly hard beyond 20 so I dont think I will ever use them that high even on tbe track.

I think the controller runs the adjustment all the way out to full soft mesures the delta in current when it hits the stop then reverses and does the same thing. Once the cycle is complete the controller divides the total sweep servo pulses by 32 to get the required step change. In theory it should work. Again, Japanese tech manuals are not my friend.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Man they shipped quick. I bought these yesterday and the tracking didn't even show the pickup until this afternoon! Anyway, the threads are compatible and I have PLENTY of clearance under the hood of the V50. Its almost like Megan copied the TIEN coiovers (sarcasm). I was worried for nothing. It does look like I need to make an extender for the Allen head adjustment. Should be REALLY easy. Also picked up some fluids, flanges and general prep parts for some fabrication I plan to do soon.

The rears are going to be a challange and I may need to remove the strut just to get the mesurements for the extender right but It looks like those may thread on since the smaller thread size size of the rear struts matches the smaller threads on the servos for the rear units.... I think :/

Pay no attention to the shiny metal thing ;)

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update:

I have been having a tough time finding a purchaseable solution to adapting the servos. So, it looks like im working with metal. The hex on the servo amrature is close to an m4..... close. So I was able to find a small allen head screw that it will fit in. I am going to have to cut the shaft off of the fastener and tig an M4 allen key shaft to it. Then since the hex head wont fit physically inside the adjustment tube I am going to need a spacer to raise up the servo by about 1/2". It looks like there is just barely enough room to do this. Photos coming soon.

On another note the system had some damaged wires that I repaired. Tested everything out and it all appears to work electrically. The memory and resume functions work fine too. FWIW if the sweep is more or less than the struts it will be ok as long as I set the memory set points at positions they can actually reach. Since the system only initializes once at power on it is possible to dial in an offset when the power is off. That would allow you to use these on a strut with more or less turns for full range.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts