SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after a rather long hiatus from volvo, I have returned with the purchase of a '98 S70 base automatic with 36k(!!) miles. Yes, that's the correct mileage, I'm not missing a number.

I had been shopping for an economical "beater" car to keep miles off my 135i when I came across this on craigs yesterday. I really had my heart set on a manual trans and cloth seats, but I couldn't help going to see a '98 S70 with these miles. Car runs great. Looks pretty good. Has some minor cosmetic needs to tend to and I'm sure I'll have to do a full tune-up, timing belt, fluids change... but that's about it. Seats are damned near perfect. I'll get pics up after I pick it up tomorrow night. I'm not sure what the color is called. Its a light-medium metallic blue with tan guts. Kind of odd option list, too. Just leather and memory driver's seat. No bun warmers and no moonroof.

Reason I buckled is that my '98 T5 was the best car I've ever owned to date and I've always had my eye out for another one. Hopefully I won't miss the turbo too much, and that's what the 1-series is for anyway. Since that '98, my wife had an XC90 2.5T for about 1.5 years and then I had an '01 V70 T5 for maybe 9 months before trading that for my GTI a little over 2 years ago (and the GTI was swapped for the 1'er about 8 months ago).

Plans for this one are slim at the moment. It is supposed to be a spare car, after all. Still, I can't help pondering the IPD sways and wider wheels. I have a DVD player and dual screens sitting on the shelf at home that will go in for the kids. I'll have to think about the stereo. Not sure I want to get into that because I know I'll want to install a navi touchscreen deal. ;)

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ah. I found the color. It is 431 Aqua Blue Metallic.

I don't think I've ever noticed another one in person this color.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks.

Here it is. Drove it home last night. ABS light wasn't on when I test drove it, but of course it comes on after I buy it. haha. Oh well, I had already anticipated that would need doing. Sorry for the crappy cellphone pics, but I snapped them real quick before heading to work this morn.

Not sure when I'll actually start driving it, as I want to fully service it beforehand. I went through the records and it has only had oil changes done. So I'll need to do timing belt service, trans, and coolant before relying on it.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Pretty
No heated seats, bah..........
Southern car?
Leather, wheels, auto climate control and an 816 but no climate :rolleyes:

·
Registered
168 Posts
After driving a mildly tuned/upgraded 135i that my coworker has, I lust after your garage, then I could retire my C70 to true "beater" status. I wish you could get the "1'er" without all the "nanny gear" and "gee-whiz tech", but the size and handling are nearly ideal.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
yeah, like I said, Jim, kinda oddly optioned. I can live without the bun warmers. Personally, I don't like moonroofs, but not having one on a Volvo is kind of a bigger sin, IMHO, than the lack of CWP. Anyway, it was registered in FL, but lived here in NJ.

Hey, Jim, let me ask you... with retaining resale value in mind (I know, silly for a low-priced car, but still..), would you keep the 816 or replace with a double-din touchscreen? Would that hurt, help, or not change the appeal of the car?

Thanks, Gnarsh. The 1 is definitely a blast. Mine is tuned, as well, with more mods on the way. Not sure what "nanny gear" means, but, as blasphemous as this may be, I've grown to appreciate the tech. On a roadcourse, I turn off the first level of the DTC and that provides me enough leeway to spin the tires and kick out the rear a bit, but not so much that I'll spin it. At autocross, however, fully off is definitely preferrable due to the quick left/right transitions that you go through.

·
Registered
168 Posts
By "Nanny Gear" - any added weight that takes away from my ability to control the car. if I could make my ideal car - it would be a new two door coupe with direct injection, rear wheel drive, six speed manual gearbox, no airbags, no TPMS, no traction control, no air conditioning. It would have crank windows, manual locks and a simple docking station for my Droid (which contains all the songs I need, plus Nav) with a couple speakers in the dash or door (I don't care which). Imagine how awesome your 135 would be if it weighed 1000 lbs less.

Anyways, I digress - good luck with the Volvo.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Q, the car looks great, and such low miles. you must be inverted with joy. i just picked up a 98 V70T5 and have to do the timing belt, tranny service, and turbo leak before i can take her out. i'm hoping she'll be done Friday--i've owned her since the 28th and still haven't had the chance to drive her, so i feel for you.

Good luck getting her all spiffy. Great find!

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
You're right, doesn't matter in the slightest.
If anything it will ADD to the value having a modern radio in it

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ah, now I understand, Gnarsh. I agree for the most part. The car is still too heavy.

Thanks to all for the comments.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
just to keep this in 1 tidy thread, I wanted to give an update on the stereo. I wound up with a JVC KW-AV70BT. Installation was pretty easy. Just had to cut out the plastic slide rails in the stock location and solder up the connections to the stock harness.

It is damned impressive for the money, IMHO. I love being able to stream music through the bluetooth. I also had 2 spare monitors sitting on the shelf, and this stereo has rear video outputs that will play from a different source than the main unit. So the kids can plug in their headphones into the monitors and watch movies while I listen to my iphone in the front of the car. It also has an SD card slot, so I loaded up a 32gb card with about 30 movies for them. Wish all my vehicles had this setup.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts