SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 3.2 and it has the new design of the gearshift that is illuminated. Which years do or did get the illuminated gear shifter? I am seeing a lot of later models having the non-illuminated gear shifters.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Our 2012 S80 was manufactured in June of that year and it has the older style shifter.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
2013 comes with the illuminated shifter

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
That's probably what it was. Take GM for example. My dad has a 2003 trailblazer. in 2002 there was a glove box light and an under-hood light. 2003 onwards, both taken out. And I can't imaging it costing more than $3-4 to have them both in there. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
No glove-box light? That does sound a bit cheap by GM. The engine bay illumination I can sort of understand. There's not really a lot of maintenance on the fly you can do if your car stops unexpectedly anyway. It makes a lot more sense on older cars, at least to me. I've never missed engine bay illumination on my S80 at least.

As for the illuminated shifter, the one with the green LED's were only fitted model year 2013. I think Volvo start manufacturing next model year around late May every year, meaning that benbow's S80 manufactured in june 2012 is a MY13 = has the illuminated model.

MY14 got the solid black with solid backlight (if that makes any sense. LED-less, as the LED's were moved to the dashboard).

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah, my 2013 was manufactured on 5/24/2012 and was "green ok:ed" on 10/2012 (Volvo terms). I used to work at Torslanda for 3 years.I have the lit up LED's

·
Registered
347 Posts
Our 2012 S80 has the old style shifter....leather knob and manual mode is away from the driver. It was an OSD delivery so it could have been assembled a few months before our factory delivery in late June. I am guessing they they hold up vehicle documentation and do adds-ons (mud flaps etc.) just before OSD delivery.

·
3,391 Posts
2013 is the ONLY year to get the illuminated shifter in the USA. It can be retrofitted to any year of P3. I sell a retrofit kit. I have one installed in my 2008.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have a 2016 S80 and my shifter is illuminated.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
That MY14 isn't the illuminated style.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
The MY14+ is indeed illuminated as in backlit, only the gear indicators were moved from the knob to the dash.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Do any of the lights work? There's a very thin ribbon cable that goes from the shifter body to the gear selector. The cable is replacable, but I haven't found a replacement anywhere online. Volvo sells the knob with the cable as one PN

·
Registered
19 Posts
Do any of the lights work? There's a very thin ribbon cable that goes from the shifter body to the gear selector. The cable is replacable, but I haven't found a replacement anywhere online. Volvo sells the knob with the cable as one PN
Not even one led will light up...

i was wondering if it could only be the cable/ribbon (as it is a little smashed where leather meets the plastic) i will take it out and check the electrical continuity with an electric tester.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Not even one led will light up...

i was wondering if it could only be the cable/ribbon (as it is a little smashed where leather meets the plastic) i will take it out and check the electrical continuity with an electric tester.
Mine was smashed there as well, nothing would light up :( Still looking for a replacement cable. Will let you know if I ever find one

1 - 20 of 34 Posts