SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
Every-time I park my car and turn the engine off, the key won't release from the lock, it won't turn to position 0 to allow me to remove it, the only time I can remove it is when I push the shifter a bit then I hear a click and the key will then be released from the lock, sometimes while the engine is off I have to press the brake and change the shifter position and then put it back to the P position and the key will get released.

I was told it's a broken plastic piece of on the shifter assembly but don't know the part name or number.
Has anyone had this problem before? What am I looking at here?

Thanks
2004 XC90 2.5T AWD

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Hi guys,
Every-time I park my car and turn the engine off, the key won't release from the lock, it won't turn to position 0 to allow me to remove it, the only time I can remove it is when I push the shifter a bit then I hear a click and the key will then be released from the lock, sometimes while the engine is off I have to press the brake and change the shifter position and then put it back to the P position and the key will get released.

I was told it's a broken plastic piece of on the shifter assembly but don't know the part name or number.
Has anyone had this problem before? What am I looking at here?

Thanks
2004 XC90 2.5T AWD

Better be careful with it, we had a similar event with our 2004 and the ignition key assembly had to be replaced, and I think it was something like $600.............a price I did not want to pay so I tried hard to forget about it. I would suggest squirting in some key lock oil that is impregnated with graphite (you might be able to find it at American Ace Hardware, but last time I asked for it at Home Depot the guy looked at me like someone just popped a paper bag behind his head......never heard of it.)

regards,

good luck,

P

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ouch, I thought it was something simple in the shifter assembly since I need to push the shifter a bit everytime I need to remove the key. There must be a wire that connects the shifter to the key assembly which releases the key when shifter placed in P position?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Ouch, I thought it was something simple in the shifter assembly since I need to push the shifter a bit everytime I need to remove the key. There must be a wire that connects the shifter to the key assembly which releases the key when shifter placed in P position?
No, you're on the right track. Mr P's problem sounds like a tumblr issue or a physical issue with the ignition switch whereas something external to the ignition is preventing yours from working properly. It sounds like you're not engaging the relay that tells the car the shifter has been placed in park. In the park position this relay will free the cylinder lock, allowing you to turn it to the off position and remove the key. The Volvo might also have a cable that does this and sometimes these cables get gummed up.

If you can mess with the shifter and eventually get the relay to click then that's good news because it means most likely the relay still works. Since someone told you it's a broken piece of plastic I'm going to go out on a limb and say that what broke off is a part of the piece that hits the switch to engage the relay and release the key. If you're handy your fix can be as simple as removing the console, see how the shifter interacts with the switch and then rigging something up so that the shifter once again hits the switch in the park position. It sounds more difficult than it is. It really should be a simple fix assuming the broken piece of plastic isn't super complex.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'll go out and play with mine in a few to see if it's a relay or a cable. I would imagine it's an electric lock on the XC90.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, you're on the right track. Mr P's problem sounds like a tumblr issue or a physical issue with the ignition switch whereas something external to the ignition is preventing yours from working properly. It sounds like you're not engaging the relay that tells the car the shifter has been placed in park. In the park position this relay will free the cylinder lock, allowing you to turn it to the off position and remove the key. The Volvo might also have a cable that does this and sometimes these cables get gummed up.

If you can mess with the shifter and eventually get the relay to click then that's good news because it means most likely the relay still works. Since someone told you it's a broken piece of plastic I'm going to go out on a limb and say that what broke off is a part of the piece that hits the switch to engage the relay and release the key. If you're handy your fix can be as simple as removing the console, see how the shifter interacts with the switch and then rigging something up so that the shifter once again hits the switch in the park position. It sounds more difficult than it is. It really should be a simple fix assuming the broken piece of plastic isn't super complex.
Hey these Volvos scare me to death...lol
Very complicated, but I can have my local garage look at it since I know exactly what might be causing the issue

Let me know if you can find the part # or part name

Thanks

·
Registered
102 Posts
Ok, so when I said Mr P's post about having to replace the ignition switch was similar but unrelated I was assuming that the Volvo used a switch and a relay to free the key, not a cable. And I was wrong. :)

I went out to my wife's car and sure enough, it's a physical connection. The good news is that it appears to be a relatively common problem and also relatively easy to fix. Try this on for size:

http://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-xc90-9/help-my-xc90s-key-stuck-doesnt-shift-24908/

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, so when I said Mr P's post about having to replace the ignition switch was similar but unrelated I was assuming that the Volvo used a switch and a relay to free the key, not a cable. And I was wrong. :)

I went out to my wife's car and sure enough, it's a physical connection. The good news is that it appears to be a relatively common problem and also relatively easy to fix. Try this on for size:

http://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-xc90-9/help-my-xc90s-key-stuck-doesnt-shift-24908/
I love that link, very useful. I guess I would need to replace that Yellow Locking Sleeve showing in the diagram.
my car started to do this more frequent when the weather started to be colder...

Thanks alot

·
Registered
102 Posts
my car started to do this more frequent when the weather started to be colder...

Thanks alot
Which is a good sign as far as troubleshooting goes because that's when all the liquids and crap that have gotten down there over the years start to gum up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts