SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the timing belt replaced at 107K at my local Indy shop yesterday. They had a list of items to address next including tires, PCV breather, and L/F tie rod end (the fun and maintenance seems to never end).
I planned the timing belt repair for 3 months and money is tight right now for me. Picked it up and drove home last night. I was secretly celebrating the caR didn't break the timing belt on the way to the shop knowing my luck.

This morning on my way to work going about 30 MPH on a back road, I swerve to avoid a big deer. My right two wheels go off the road and I SLAM something like a drain or rock harder than ever before. I pulled over, and find somehow the front tire and rim appear fine. The rear rim however has a huge chip out of it and the tire is gashed. I have the 17" Pegs. I was literally not even a half mile from my house.

Towing the car back to the shop 12 hours after I picked it up. I am only sharing for those with crappier luck than me, because I'm so embarrassed and pissed off at myself.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Still better than breaking a timing belt on an R, lol. Glad to hear it wasn't too bad, a snafu like that could have easily been so much worse, especially if you had lost control and left the road.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Hey Lucky, at least you saw the deer and swerved. R headlights are WAAAY more expensive than a 17" wheel and tire!

·
Registered
550 Posts
Call your car insurance as they may cover your damages. Hope that helps. God Bless :)

·
Registered
602 Posts
Had the same thing happen to me this summer as I took a backroad corner too tight and went off the road just enough to catch a pothole. Rear right needed new 18 peg and tire. That hurt the pocket book! Sucks, I feel ya!

·
Super Moderator
8,701 Posts
Got the timing belt replaced at 107K at my local Indy shop yesterday. They had a list of items to address next including tires, PCV breather, and L/F tie rod end (the fun and maintenance seems to never end).
I planned the timing belt repair for 3 months and money is tight right now for me. Picked it up and drove home last night. I was secretly celebrating the caR didn't break the timing belt on the way to the shop knowing my luck.

This morning on my way to work going about 30 MPH on a back road, I swerve to avoid a big deer. My right two wheels go off the road and I SLAM something like a drain or rock harder than ever before. I pulled over, and find somehow the front tire and rim appear fine. The rear rim however has a huge chip out of it and the tire is gashed. I have the 17" Pegs. I was literally not even a half mile from my house.

Towing the car back to the shop 12 hours after I picked it up. I am only sharing for those with crappier luck than me, because I'm so embarrassed and pissed off at myself.
Check out Rock Auto for reconditioned 17" OEM Pegs.

·
Registered
91 Posts
And if you need tire, would it be necessary to change all 4 since it's AWD? My local firestone told me that although I didn't need to replace mine.

·
Registered
432 Posts
That could have been much worse, gald you didn't hit the deer. I took a traffic circle too fast and clipped my front right rim, destroyed the rim and bent my subframe. Was not a fun couple of days and hurt my walet pretty badly. I have 17in pegs and I got mine from Erie Volvo, I paid $175 shipped for a used one. It wasn't in perfect condition but not bad at all. Just light wear, I don't mind tho considering my car is a my DD and not a show car. More things are eventually doomed to happen to it.

·
Registered
432 Posts
And if you need tire, would it be necessary to change all 4 since it's AWD? My local firestone told me that although I didn't need to replace mine.
You'll need to replace it with a tire with the same tread length. You dont have to replace all 4. Personally when I destroyed a tire on my old SR I bought a new one and had the tread cut to match the rest of the car, was that needed... Probably not but I was anal about it.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
See if you can find one or a pair of used ones with about the same wear as the others - that what I did last time to get me to the next tire replacement.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Going the insurance route, but even that isn't great. I need a new rim, one tire and a 4-wheel alignment is all they'll cover. I'm not putting one new tire on, so the other 3 are on me. Not as bad as I originally thought and at least none of the suspension was damaged.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Going the insurance route, but even that isn't great. I need a new rim, one tire and a 4-wheel alignment is all they'll cover. I'm not putting one new tire on, so the other 3 are on me. Not as bad as I originally thought and at least none of the suspension was damaged.
Just be careful on the insurance route. A mishap like yours left me in need of a new headlight and I decided to go through insurance. Turns out, it caused my premiums to go up 30% and they will remain that way for 6 years until the claim drops off. Even though I was the only car involved, it still triggered the increase as part of the "Safe Driver Insurance Program" here in MA and counted as an accident. I should have just paid the $1000 or so, as I'm paying way more than that in additional premiums. I've learned that the only time it makes sense to go through insurance is for a comprehensive claim or something serious like if your car is totaled or you really injured someone else.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Yeppers, a 'single car accident' like that is hated by insurance companies since there is no one to go after for the loss but the person that filed the claim. One of many reasons I'd never file a claim for something small since you are likely to pay for it many times over via increased rates.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Hey Steathly, about how big a difference do you think is okay? I know with the old viscous coupling system it would make sense that it would put a lot of undue pressure on the system, but with the computer controlled Haldex, it almost seems like it would be fine up to the point where the light comes on in the dash, but maybe that happens long after the system is doing it's thing.

·
Super Moderator
8,701 Posts
Hey Steathly, about how big a difference do you think is okay? I know with the old viscous coupling system it would make sense that it would put a lot of undue pressure on the system, but with the computer controlled Haldex, it almost seems like it would be fine up to the point where the light comes on in the dash, but maybe that happens long after the system is doing it's thing.
If it was me, I wouldn't risk it, but that's based on nothing but opinion.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
It's not even a big deal, as places like Tire Rack will shave down you one new tire to match the tread depth of the other 3 tires.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts