SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was outside today using Maquiars Ultimate Compound - Color and Clarity Restore.....Trying to get scratches out of my car and lessening the very long, annoying one that some JACKASS put on my rear passenger door...Didn't do too much there, but was pleased with the rest of the job.

Anyway, it dawned on me after I was finished just how harsh the road is on a vehicle. I am a majority (75%) highway driver... and Dear Lord, those rock chips on the bumper and hood make your car look like a moon crater....

So to answer my own question...I see why people get Xpel now. The road is very unforgiving.....

I'd probably would have also gone with a 15.5 AWD vs. FWD. Still kick myself a bit on that one. Never considered AWD at purchase, but having driven a 2016 V60 AWD, the vehicle definitely felt very evened, balanced, and planeted (heavier). It's not to say 95%of the time I have gotten by just fine with FWD... Had about 4 or 5 incidences where I have said, AWD would have helped me about now!

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Pretty happy with my S60 as is... I’m really happy it has AWD: I had never driven AWD in conditions that made it useful prior to the bit of slushy snow we got a week or so after buying my S... it was almost too sure footed - totally stable in conditions that made driving the C70 far too much of an adventure.

I do wish the original owner had sprung for the Nav - the center console screen is kind of superfluous without it... I already know the names of the songs on myiPod ;)

I thought the 12v socket in my c70 was in the stupidest place possible, but I was wrong, the S60 totally beats it.

What’s totally driving me crazy is switching between one car with keyless and the other without.

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pretty happy with my S60 as is... I’m really happy it has AWD: I had never driven AWD in conditions that made it useful prior to the bit of slushy snow we got a week or so after buying my S... it was almost too sure footed - totally stable in conditions that made driving the C70 far too much of an adventure.

I do wish the original owner had sprung for the Nav - the center console screen is kind of superfluous without it... I already know the names of the songs on myiPod ;)

I thought the 12v socket in my c70 was in the stupidest place possible, but I was wrong, the S60 totally beats it.

What’s totally driving me crazy is switching between one car with keyless and the other without.
Man dealer had some 2015 loaners (not 15.5) with the screen and No Nav that it uses. Man that drove me nuts to just operate the radio and nothing else! Having to mount a GPS on the windshield and fidget with it when my 15.5 has built it Nav.

I feel your pain on that one!

Far as the 12V plug, the one in the center console isn't that bad? Guess depends upon what you're plugging in though. If your phone, no big deal. If you are trying to hang a Dash Camera using that 12V, the wiring would be annoying.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
We had our '13 XC60 special ordered and selected just about every option (including Polestar tune) except for the Technology package. At the time, I didn't realize the lane departure, adaptive cruise control where the first steps of semi-autonomous driving so I didn't get it, plus I thought why would I need the vehicle to tell me I'm not centered in the lane. In addition, I wanted to save $2-3K. I regretted it a few years later and even asked the dealer if the could add it and they said no.

I'm an IT guy so what I would really want to see in future Volvos are the ability to upgrade the software on the vehicles (as long as the hardware onboard can handle it especially with advances in semi-autonomous driving), just like Tesla does but I'm sure that's something Volvo would never do.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I made the mistake of dropping a balled-up foil gum wrapper into the 12V outlet. I realized, after shocking myself, that I needed to pull it out when the car was turned off. Now I just leave my phone charger plugged in to keep liquids and other debris from getting in there.

Sent from my Galaxy S7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
My issue with the power socket is two-fold: one, it is perfectly placed to get filled up with coffee; two, you can’t close the cupholder shutter if you have something plugged in.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I had the choice of black and red at the same price when I purchased mine. Sometimes I wish I went red, but then I can't imagine the styling/cross country kit looking good with red.

If I had my time again, I would have kept my RenaultSport instead of trading it in. Then I would have had a daily (Volvo) and a fun car.

Alternatively I should have saved a bit more and went for a V40 cross country with polestar tune. It would have been lighter and quicker, but $15k more.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
my 2017 s60 AWD r design

So I was outside today using Maquiars Ultimate Compound - Color and Clarity Restore.....Trying to get scratches out of my car and lessening the very long, annoying one that some JACKASS put on my rear passenger door...Didn't do too much there, but was pleased with the rest of the job.

Anyway, it dawned on me after I was finished just how harsh the road is on a vehicle. I am a majority (75%) highway driver... and Dear Lord, those rock chips on the bumper and hood make your car look like a moon crater....

So to answer my own question...I see why people get Xpel now. The road is very unforgiving.....

I'd probably would have also gone with a 15.5 AWD vs. FWD. Still kick myself a bit on that one. Never considered AWD at purchase, but having driven a 2016 V60 AWD, the vehicle definitely felt very evened, balanced, and planeted (heavier). It's not to say 95%of the time I have gotten by just fine with FWD... Had about 4 or 5 incidences where I have said, AWD would have helped me about now!
I had a little uncertainty whether to go with the basic T5, FWD model - I test drove both - my impressions were that the FWD had noticeable torque steer - more so than my previous Saab 9-3, whereas the T6 AWD had no torque steer. The T6 also had noticeably more acceleration, due to the supercharger and higher hp.

Having said that, the 15 mpg I have been averaging on my daily commute - not using freeways in Los Angeles, has been disappointing. I believe that the awd decreases mileage due to the greater weight of the system. There is no snow here obviously, but it is good to know that the awd will be useful on ski trips, etc. did fine in the recent rain - although no one in LA knows how to drive in rain - but that is not the s60's fault.

·
Registered
60 Posts
obviously, you have never had a Saab - with the ignition right between the seats, underneath the console - and more importantly the cupholder - 2x ignition switches replaced to gf's spilling coffee

·
Registered
390 Posts
My pet peeve is the outside temperature reading is usually 8-10 deg F over ambient whenever it's warm and sunny out, which in the Arizona desert is quite often. it's fine when it's snowing out so it must be a Swedish thing.

And the 112 mph speed limiter on a car that came with Z-rated 150 mph tires and a sport suspension is number 2 on the list. And yes, there are many places in the desert where this can be a factor, especially when trying to keep up with the wife in her 155 mph limited car.

·
Registered
95 Posts
If I could change anything about how I personally bought my Volvo, I would have negotiated a Polestar tune into the purchase price. I bought the car as a 3 year old CPO. I still may splurge for the tune at some point, but man that is a chunk of change to dump into an 8 year old car.

If I could change one thing about my actual car I think it would be the transmission tuning. I would make Drive more of a happy medium between Sport and Drive while kicking up the aggressiveness of Sport. The way it is now normal Drive mode is so numb and lazy its nearly useless.

·
Registered
697 Posts
...snip...
If I could change one thing about my actual car I think it would be the transmission tuning. I would make Drive more of a happy medium between Sport and Drive while kicking up the aggressiveness of Sport. The way it is now normal Drive mode is so numb and lazy its nearly useless.
The trans is adaptive so the harder you drive it, the more aggressive it becomes. For example, if you approach a turn at WOT, even in drive, the trans will hold the lower gear through the turn rather than up shifting when you get out of the throttle...at least ours does.

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We had our '13 XC60 special ordered and selected just about every option (including Polestar tune) except for the Technology package. At the time, I didn't realize the lane departure, adaptive cruise control where the first steps of semi-autonomous driving so I didn't get it, plus I thought why would I need the vehicle to tell me I'm not centered in the lane. In addition, I wanted to save $2-3K. I regretted it a few years later and even asked the dealer if the could add it and they said no.

I'm an IT guy so what I would really want to see in future Volvos are the ability to upgrade the software on the vehicles (as long as the hardware onboard can handle it especially with advances in semi-autonomous driving), just like Tesla does but I'm sure that's something Volvo would never do.
Sadly, retrofitting options is cost prohibitive, and often a disaster. There's a thread here where an swedespeeder wanted to retrofit Front / Rear Park Sensors + Park Assist. The dealer botched the job so bad, the OP got a new car out of it.

I think with all the adaptations that must be made software updates can only permit so much. Because if the necessary wiring and modules are installed at time of manufacture, you're out of luck!

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I made the mistake of dropping a balled-up foil gum wrapper into the 12V outlet. I realized, after shocking myself, that I needed to pull it out when the car was turned off. Now I just leave my phone charger plugged in to keep liquids and other debris from getting in there.

Sent from my Galaxy S7 using Tapatalk
Woops! Well that'll teach you, huh?

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My issue with the power socket is two-fold: one, it is perfectly placed to get filled up with coffee; two, you can’t close the cupholder shutter if you have something plugged in.
The 12V socket is elevated in the cup holder, but I agree. It's in a spot where spills are likely. And yes you can't close the cover and use the 12V socket!

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had the choice of black and red at the same price when I purchased mine. Sometimes I wish I went red, but then I can't imagine the styling/cross country kit looking good with red.

If I had my time again, I would have kept my RenaultSport instead of trading it in. Then I would have had a daily (Volvo) and a fun car.

Alternatively I should have saved a bit more and went for a V40 cross country with polestar tune. It would have been lighter and quicker, but $15k more.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk
I miss my V40 really bad. Got totaled in a car accident. That thing could haul so much. Plus with dogs, I could have used it to haul them, too. But it got killed before I had them. So now I have an S60 without that added cargo space. I love the vehicle, but miss the station wagon!

15K isn't a bit more! Pretty large investment.

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had a little uncertainty whether to go with the basic T5, FWD model - I test drove both - my impressions were that the FWD had noticeable torque steer - more so than my previous Saab 9-3, whereas the T6 AWD had no torque steer. The T6 also had noticeably more acceleration, due to the supercharger and higher hp.

Having said that, the 15 mpg I have been averaging on my daily commute - not using freeways in Los Angeles, has been disappointing. I believe that the awd decreases mileage due to the greater weight of the system. There is no snow here obviously, but it is good to know that the awd will be useful on ski trips, etc. did fTaine in the recent rain - although no one in LA knows how to drive in rain - but that is not the s60's fault.
Trade off I guess on Gas Mileage Vs. More Planted and Sure Footed.. I get snow and ice here. I have managed to get my S60 stuck twice. Once when the snow plow plowed in my driveway and I didn't see the huge pile at night. Rear wheels made it over but front where's couldn't get traction. Had to push the car out with the help of a neighbor.

Second time, was when Chicago had -18 Degrees and -50 wind chills. Tried to get up the parking garage and literally got stuck half way up. With no more than 6 inches on either side of car before hitting the wall. Hated that garage. None the less, I had to very slowly and carefully back down, and gun it to get all the way up.

I run Nokian Hakka 3s so they help a lot, but AWD would definitely have been useful in those and a few other situations where snow tires weren't enough!

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
obviously, you have never had a Saab - with the ignition right between the seats, underneath the console - and more importantly the cupholder - 2x ignition switches replaced to gf's spilling coffee
Googled that one. Holy hell, that was a very big design flaw on the part of the swedes. Putting the ignition switch below the cup holder!

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Did any of you get your car Xpel'ed or Opticoated? Or do you just let the vehicle get normal wear and tear?

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
1) I would have purchased one with the Technology Package. I have everything but that, and it's very difficult to retrofit.

2) I might have gone with my second choice instead. It was a '12 Passion Red R-Design with 19" Portias. It was in CT so it was too far to go see to kick the tires. I love my car, but I spent a lot of time and money on "R" things like the Polestar tune, valence, wing...

3) A V60 would have been nice. I wanted a SI6 though, and they weren't cheap. However, seeing everyone's T5's on Bor wheels makes me regret not looking at them more closely.

1 - 20 of 132 Posts