SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wondering what you all would do first on your 850 turbos if you could start all over again- minus the Stage 0 of course. What mods or choices would you put at the top of your list?

·
Registered
319 Posts
^^What they said along with bigger intake and downpipe on that larger turbo, a performance exhaust and IPD sways. My 96 didn't even have a rear sway and what a difference it made!

·
Registered
921 Posts
#1) Manual swap. Huge amount of work but SO much worth it. The bigger turbo, intercooler, whatever, all that can wait.

#2) Fresh shocks, bushings, and shock/strut mounts all the way around. Lowering springs and/or coilovers and/or sway bars while you're in there, if you want to do them. Most 850s have blown out original suspension. Even just new OEM/stock parts are a massive improvement.

That will get you a car that is fun to actually DRIVE instead of just bench race on a forum or brag to your friends about. Too many people just put a giant turbo on it (often one that won't spool until 6500 rpm, but that's another problem) and then call it good. Great for bragging rights, but pointless without a manual transmission (ideally with limited slip) and a good suspension setup.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Agreed. I put suspension and bushing work at the top of my list for any car.

·
Registered
319 Posts
fivealive;2889097 #2) Fresh shocks said:
Agreed, but I'd consider that part of stage 0. A replaced suspension makes the car feel new again. The road manners of the 850 is a big part of my enjoyment of the car.

I've never bragged about the 18t with RIP, etc. in my 99 (So many here have done so much more.), but it does make the original 15g in my 96 feel like just a hint of turbo. It quits too early. That extra torque and acceleration in a car that behaves as a well sorted P80 does is just simply fun and impressive.

When it comes to horsepower these cars will never compare to the big block Chevys and Fords my father had when I was a kid, but one crack in the asphalt would send the back wheels of those cars 4" sideways in a curve. They were not as enjoyable to drive; thrilling, but not as enjoyable.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I would not have sold my white on black '96 855R with M56 swap about a year and a half ago. I am starting to look for another, but will settle for the right 854R. I will build the next one just like my last one except it will get rods and a bigger turbo.

·
Registered
560 Posts
This is a tough question! It's pretty hard not to include stage 0 though because I'm still chasing it. I don't think there has been a "fun modification" that I have done that didn't include some stage 0 efforts.

My car already had a manual and a 3" downpipe/ exhaust, but if it didn't those would be my vote for the best smiles per mile upgrade and the first thing I'd recommend!

Next would be suspension for sure - lowering and anti sway bars absolutely transform the car into a great handler.

Next will be Porsche / R brakes, some cosmetics, and then the bigger turbo and tune. I wouldn't change the order of my ever-progressing car actually, I'm quite happy with how it's going, but I'd say do everything and then the turbo last.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
good stuff guys, thanks. I knew about the PCV and slightly weak rods...didn't know gloveboxes tend to break on these!

·
Registered
25 Posts
My newly purchased 850 came with what I believe to be a k&n short air intake, if it hadn't I would've opted for the ipd setup to get the aluminum mounting box...

Currently the airfilter is just resting in the vacant spot left by removal of the original intake haha

1 - 11 of 11 Posts