SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I despise taking it to a shop. I would rather buy a vida cable and figure this crap out myself. I can't be alone here. What's the point of this forum if everyone just takes the car to someone else to figure out what's wrong?

/rant off

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
If you can't handle reading advice that doesn't 100% align with your own opinions/preferences/situation, then the internet may not be for you.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Take it to a shop. Seriously though, R's aren't for the weak hatred. They require lots of love and attention much like a women. On the plus side there's always camrys.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I despise taking it to a shop. I would rather buy a vida cable and figure this crap out myself. I can't be alone here. What's the point of this forum if everyone just takes the car to someone else to figure out what's wrong?

/rant off

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk
I'm being honest here, so when I say maybe you should drop some bills on a vida system, I'm not being sarcastic. You look relatively new to the forum, which means you may or may not be new to your R. If you are planning on keeping your R for a while, I would say that there's a better chance than not that you may be able to recoup all of the money you spend on a vida system (there are plenty of imitations on ebay now that work just fine). You would probably be able to resell it to someone on the forum when you decide to sell your car as well.

I feel your pain, I hate taking my car to the shop but sometimes feel like I have to choice.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
To the OP

Depending on your skillset and tools available, there are only a few repairs that MUST be done at a shop. I have neither, but I have a decent knowledge of engines and a decent amount of determination. When a job is bigger than me, I call out here to see if someone will come help me. Two head and four hands make almost any job easier. Vida would help immensely as well.

However, the benefit of taking it to a shop is the insurance on big jobs. If the shop screws something up, they have to cover their butts and replace it with their time/money. If you screw up your own car on a big job, well, you're screwed. Some guys don't want to take that chance, hence, take it to a shop.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been messing with cars since i was old enough to turn a wrench. I just sold a '98 BMW 540i 6spd for my R. My 540i never rolled into a shop the entire time I owned it and it had 200k on it, 120k of which I put on it. Same goes for my wife's '01 C70 Coupe we've had for the past 4yrs, never once has it seen another pair of hands except mine during our ownership. I dunno, it just seems like every single thread I click into results in "take it to a shop or the dealer." Not trying to too my own horn here, not at all. I don't claim to know everything or be God's gift to the shadetree...but it gets annoying when the solution is to take it to a dealer/shop all the time. That's really deterring me from keeping the R. The Swedes are just upside down Germans, what gives?

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Honestly guys,

The VIDA system isn't even a must, the only time I take my car to the shop is for URGENT HIGH RISK items like the Timing Belt, Angle Gear, etc. Most of the crap that goes wrong with this car can be figured out with a simple code reader and some decent knowledge of the car itself.

Take some time to read up on the car, THERE IS PLENTY OF INFORMATION ON THE INTERNET. From videos to simple discussion board posts like some on this website I have been able to diagnose general issues from 4C to Headlights to Wheel Bearings.

If you love the car, it's worth the fight. As much as I want to kick and scream and most of the time I do on this website I still can't get over the purr of this beautiful inline 5 driving down the road.

Cheers,

Vio

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I always have taken my VR to the shop.

But I was also covered by VIP. Now I'm not, so there will be some wrench turning in my future.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
I've been messing with cars since i was old enough to turn a wrench. I just sold a '98 BMW 540i 6spd for my R. My 540i never rolled into a shop the entire time I owned it and it had 200k on it, 120k of which I put on it. Same goes for my wife's '01 C70 Coupe we've had for the past 4yrs, never once has it seen another pair of hands except mine during our ownership. I dunno, it just seems like every single thread I click into results in "take it to a shop or the dealer." Not trying to too my own horn here, not at all. I don't claim to know everything or be God's gift to the shadetree...but it gets annoying when the solution is to take it to a dealer/shop all the time. That's really deterring me from keeping the R. The Swedes are just upside down Germans, what gives?

Honestly, it's the latest insurge of new owners the past year or so giving mostly poor advice about indies or dealers. There were a lot more DIY long time R owners here 2 or more years ago which likely have left the platform. It takes a bit of searching to dig up those threads(or use google site:swedespeed.com), but my advice to you is to use the search and not worry about what others tell you, you'll soon figure out who's who and who's words really are worth a damn.

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
I always have taken my VR to the shop.

But I was also covered by VIP. Now I'm not, so there will be some wrench turning in my future.
^ You may also be seeing this.

Basically, there are no '98 bmws with warranties still, where as there are still some R's that are under warranty. That is a good reason to take your car to the shop. I don't do any job on my car that requires special tools that I don't have lying around. Why would I spend money on something I'll use once, maybe twice? There are plenty of instructions on this website for doing most stuff yourself, you just have to search around.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Honestly, it's the latest insurge of new owners the past year or so giving mostly poor advice about indies or dealers. There were a lot more DIY long time R owners here 2 or more years ago which likely have left the platform. It takes a bit of searching to dig up those threads(or use google site:swedespeed.com), but my advice to you is to use the search and not worry about what others tell you, you'll soon figure out who's who and who's words really are worth a damn.
This makes a lot more sense honestly. I've only had the car about 2-3wks, and so far i've been able to find what I need. It's more the recent pages of the forum that I keep seeing shop this and dealer that. It just made me sad I guess that people are giving up so easy :).

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
This makes a lot more sense honestly. I've only had the car about 2-3wks, and so far i've been able to find what I need. It's more the recent pages of the forum that I keep seeing shop this and dealer that. It just made me sad I guess that people are giving up so easy :).
Welcome to the club...three weeks belated :D. My 04 was bought back in November and had no warranty of any kind. Done all my work myself, and we did most of the work on our 98 s70 as well, with the help of some swedespeed members in the area. Since my garage is used for storage and not for cars [don't get me started], I don't have room for much beyond hand tools, fluids, and ramps. If a job requires more than that, either I'm calling on Swedespeed here or going to the indie. Thankfully, I have friends with lifts that occasionally let me borrow them for brake jobs. Makes life easier :D

Most of all, I'm a firm believer that preventative maintenance on these cars will prevent most major system failures. I'd rather put in a few hours in my car now and little money, sweat, blood, tears, anger, etc than pay some guy down the road big bucks to fix what I could have done.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Or, maybe you should stop and think about the fact that some people do NOT have the techincal know-how or confidence, or more importantly TIME to do repairs themself.

The DIY snobbery here is a pain in the ass. I agree that the general 'take it to the dealer' advice is pretty weak, especially when there are enough people to give good advice.

I can do basic maintenence to my R, but I certainly cannot do the stuff that I have had to have done. I am not going to replace a strut myself, I would be too concerned with screwing something up, and causing additional damage. I also cant sum-calibrate at home either :) BUT - I would never jump into a thread and tell someone to take it to the stealership when I know there are plenty of knowlegeable people here that would know the answer.

The far WORSE problem on this board are the people who turn their nose up to the new users because they may ask "stupid" questions. Search kinda sucks, and there are always going to be new car owners with old problems.

The increase in "take it to the dealer" messages are more likely due to a lack of positive & helpful input from the more knowlegable users.

/end rant

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Or, maybe you should stop and think about the fact that some people do NOT have the techincal know-how or confidence, or more importantly TIME to do repairs themself.

The DIY snobbery here is a pain in the ass. I agree that the general 'take it to the dealer' advice is pretty weak, especially when there are enough people to give good advice.

I can do basic maintenence to my R, but I certainly cannot do the stuff that I have had to have done. I am not going to replace a strut myself, I would be too concerned with screwing something up, and causing additional damage. I also cant sum-calibrate at home either :) BUT - I would never jump into a thread and tell someone to take it to the stealership when I know there are plenty of knowlegeable people here that would know the answer.

The far WORSE problem on this board are the people who turn their nose up to the new users because they may ask "stupid" questions. Search kinda sucks, and there are always going to be new car owners with old problems.

The increase in "take it to the dealer" messages are more likely due to a lack of positive & helpful input from the more knowlegable users.

/end rant
And that's exactly what I mean. I have no problem with people who lack the time/know-how to DIY. It's the people here who jump to the advice of "take it to dealer." That's not what these forums are for, if your response is that, why bother posting? The search function here does indeed suck in comparison with some other forum software, but it does function. Maybe I need to check out some of the other forums to see if the trend is the same. This Busch League psyche out stuff...laughable man.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
And that's exactly what I mean. I have no problem with people who lack the time/know-how to DIY. It's the people here who jump to the advice of "take it to dealer." That's not what these forums are for, if your response is that, why bother posting? The search function here does indeed suck in comparison with some other forum software, but it does function. Maybe I need to check out some of the other forums to see if the trend is the same. This Busch League psyche out stuff...laughable man.
Yeah im just giving you grief, you are pretty much on the money :) You should be happy, there used to be a user that made it a point to call everyone a moron. He is banned.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I think part of the issue is a lack of good resources (aside from forum posts here) on basic repairs and how-tos. If someone hasn't done it before and written a great write up, you're pretty much on your own.

Just out of curiosity, what DIY resources are out there aside from DIY posts here?

·
Registered
5,906 Posts

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
going to echo DevolvR on this. The forum has changed quite a bit in just the last year. There is lots of good info. and guides if you can find them. I always read a few threads on the particular topic to get a few for the general consensus to what an issue might be/or what a good place to start/fix if it's something i'm unfamiliar with. You do start to see who gives good advice and you can trust without needing a second opinion.

Myself, I so some myself and sometimes I take it to the dealer or an Indy. I just ask myself will I need new (tools that I will reuse :) ) Do I have the time to do it? If I do go to the dealer is their any benefit and how much will it hurt if i'm feeling lazy?

Timing belt or other engine sensitive repairs I'd rather take in and have it done quicker with little risk for myself. I save the more involved issues for my other cars at this point in time. Other things I do my self provided I have the time to do it on a timeline that i'm comfortable with. Thats just me though.. take it to a dealer doesn't apply to everyone, nor does just tell anyone saying diy. I wish people would get a better feel for the OP's comfort level before recommending one way or another instead of just shouting something out.

knowledgable users post when they can but have lives too so it's not always possible for every post to get a good look right away. New users do sometimes take some abuse which happens and probably shouldn't but many times just starting out and looking at the top of the forum and checking out the quick launch thread would solve a lot of issues. It is worth a read to get a good feel for issues in general.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...LAUNCH-THREAD-VIEW-HERE-PRIOR-TO-SEARCHING***

granted that doesn't have anything but does cover a lot. Even if you don't choose to do the repair yourself I suggest reading a guide or to make sure you understand what needs doing so you are more knowledgable when you take it someplace? You might be surprised what you pick up and what you will start to understand.

the take it to a shop, or diy suggestions don't bother me i guess. I get more upset when users want to pull prop shafts or skip other repairs because they don't want to pay for the repair letting a nice R slowly die. Sometimes things happen at bad times and you need to put things off a bit but it's hard to watch someone get a car they can't repair because they could 'afford' the car but not keep up with maint. and then bitch about it. This is becoming less of an issue as the price of these fall atleast.

/rant
:beer:

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
PLEASE READ THIS

If you make friends with the parts guy at your local volvo dealer, then they will typically print out and possibly even FAX or EMAIL you copies of whatever procedure you need in VIDA

This is what I've been doing for a while now. If you ask, the worst they can say is NO, but this way you're not spending $$$$ on the system yourself.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts