SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know to get at least an 03 or newer. It would be higher mileage. closer to 150k...all these snow pics make me want the awd...plus I drove a new 2015.5 XC70 in a foot of snow without issue on all-seasons. That car is in the family and has shown me why I should get one....Basically what maintenance should I be looking at?

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
Same basic suspension as your current V70 so strut mounts/lcas/etc... What you are looking for engine wise is PCV, excessive oil in the intake hoses, obvious oil leaks. AWD wise make all of the tires match... Make sure the angle gear spins freely with no noise and not a lot of backlash, no in-out pinion play, and make sure the haldex coupling is actually well coupling--scan it with vida for any DEM codes. Make sure the transmission shifts well. When you test drive it hit redline... I'm dead serious. Check all of the obvious mounts. VIDA is your friend on an 03+ car because of the AOC. Otherwise its pretty much the same as you NA--just faster and more capable in the snow.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Almost the same as the NA. The NA is a manual which I'd lose. But the XC AWD is so much fun to drive with. I just know that the Haldex is better than the older viscous diffs. Other than that I'm more or less clueless on the AWD maintenance and care. Never owned an AWD in the family. My father is a RWD fan so he has his car that he doesn't drive when it snows. And it was awesome driving my grandfathers new XC70. It was so tankish.

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
03-04 are ok
05 is better
06-07 is best

...but most of all you'd want one with maintenance records and a clean bill of health. Besides the normal checks, 30min test drive on highway to get the tranny up to temp (you can follow the adaption procedure to test shift quality), redline, find a slick surface test the AWD, and VIDA scan.

As for AWD maintance, go ahead and change the fluids, angle gear and rear diff are 75w90 GL-5, haldex is special fluid. I wouldn't worry about the haldex filter on a higher milage vehicle just because it's likely the pump will go soon and they are much easier to service at the same time. After purchase I'd take it to a dealer to make sure all the software is up to date, Total CAN reload, or something like that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts