SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
76,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering replacing the sump o-rings to see if that resolves an intermittent sticky lifter. Since the pan will be off, are there other things that could get some maintenance refreshing?

As a first step, I'm trying some 20/50 oil this weekend to see if additional viscosity helps.

·
Premium Member
5,856 Posts
Re: If dropping oil pan, what maintenance could be performed? ([email protected])

Chris,
There isn't really much else to do whilst replacing the sump o-rings. In the process of doing so, you're already replacing the oil cooler rectangular o-ring, turbo oil return gasket, sump o-rings, etc..
Good luck, and call me if you have any questions.
G

·
Registered
63,542 Posts
Re: If dropping oil pan, what maintenance could be performed? (gdogg16)

..and clean the gunk/crap out the pan.
I'm sure the Seafoam doesn't get anywhere near all of it

·
Registered
492 Posts
Re: If dropping oil pan, what maintenance could be performed? ([email protected])

Very doubtful a heavy viscosity oil you are going to try willl do anything. Maybe your thinking is that a heavy oil will stay up there in the lifter area after the car sits for awhile. That just masks the problem.

If it was my car, I would try AutoRX first to see if it can clean the gunk around the seals and o rings with the intention of getting oil to lubricate the seals. And clean out the oil passages somewhat.

You will know if it is going to help in the first 500 miles or so. If no change in lifter noise, then proceed to the pan o ring fix.

·
Registered
63,542 Posts
Re: If dropping oil pan, what maintenance could be performed? (fredmc)

Quote, originally posted by fredmc »

If it was my car, I would try AutoRX first to see if it can clean the gunk around the seals and o rings ...

I Seafoamed this car just before Chris bought it.
I think it's just a time and mileage deal (160+K miles)!

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts
Re: If dropping oil pan, what maintenance could be performed? (fredmc)

Quote, originally posted by fredmc »
Very doubtful a heavy viscosity oil you are going to try willl do anything. Maybe your thinking is that a heavy oil will stay up there in the lifter area after the car sits for awhile. That just masks the problem.

If it was my car, I would try AutoRX first to see if it can clean the gunk around the seals and o rings with the intention of getting oil to lubricate the seals. And clean out the oil passages somewhat.

You will know if it is going to help in the first 500 miles or so. If no change in lifter noise, then proceed to the pan o ring fix.

+1 on doing the Auto-Rx cycle. It can actually do great things on sludgy engines, so for a subtle case like this it may be just the ticket. I think then instead of the heavy viscosity, I would go the opposite direction and get some lighter stuff in a very high quality synthetic (that would have the most Group V ester content), and so would do the best job knocking loose deposits. I'd drive it for a while, change it again and see if it improves before I did any surgery on it.

·
Administrator
76,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: If dropping oil pan, what maintenance could be performed? (Bearclaw)

I've been running a 10/30 Mobil 1 for the past two oil changes and it still seemed to tap every so often. Hot, cold, didn't seem to matter. It has started while sitting at idle after a 40min highway drive and also on an overnight cold start - its not constant, but it does seem to do it at some point during the time the engine is on.

I dropped in 20/50 Mobil 1 today to see how it does. I'll also look for the Auto-Rx.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts

Quote, originally posted by [email protected] »
... I'll also look for the Auto-Rx.

FWIW, the lifters on my NA started making (constant) noise at around 150k.

I picked up some Rislone engine treatment, since the bottle said it "quiets noisy lifters". This stuff worked very well, almost immediately. The noise started up again at around 160k, so I did another treatment with Rislone, and the noise stopped. The car now has 173k, and so far...no more noise.

Good luck, whatever route you choose...

·
Registered
63,542 Posts
Re: If dropping oil pan, what maintenance could be performed? (Taleof2Bricks2)

Lucas engine (valve) treatment is also very good

·
Registered
16,996 Posts
agreeed drop the pan replace rings and be estatic

·
Administrator
76,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: If dropping oil pan, what maintenance could be performed? (gdogg16)

it has been quiet since the 20/50 went in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.