SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are they plastic or metal? I am at 104k and want to swap them out, but 55 bucks each is killing me when I can get the SKF bearing for >10 bucks all day.

What is the general consensus on just swapping the bearings?

·
Super Moderator
8,738 Posts
Are they plastic or metal? I am at 104k and want to swap them out, but 55 bucks each is killing me when I can get the SKF bearing for >10 bucks all day.

What is the general consensus on just swapping the bearings?
My understanding is that it's possible. In fact, there was a guy who wanted to start rebuilding them and selling them with new bushings, but I'm not sure that ever went anywhere. Overall, it's just not my cup of tea. lol

·
Registered
08V8XC90Sport, 06V8XC90OceanRace
3,462 Posts

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My thought is if they are plastic, I wouldn’t as I think they would be compromised by already have ones pressed in. But if metal, pressing seems like a decent option.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I got bearings at NAPA for the ‘08, and had the mechanic press them in while doing the alternator... the first time.

·
Registered
08V8XC90Sport, 06V8XC90OceanRace
3,462 Posts
Idlers are metal, sorry not to have answered up front.

·
Registered
879 Posts
REPLACE them asap due to your mileage because once the idler goes, it usually tears up the front cover and is EXPENSIVE to fix/replace. I have done three front covers in the past 7 months,

·
Registered
24 Posts
This is a little late, but the idlers are metal just like Gregg said. I just did the replacement and I’ll add to the diy thread when I get a chance. I put the idlers in a convection oven at 450 for about 90 seconds. Poured some water on the bearing to cool it slightly, turned it over and popped it out using a hammer and 24mm (I believe) socket on the inner race. The bearing OD is slightly larger than 27 mm, but it is pressed into a stop on the back side (can’t use a 27 mm). Removal is semi destructive as such but the bearing is replaced anyways. I did use the 27mm socket to tap the new one back into place (while the idlers was still warm/hot). Also put a little oil on the outer race and wiped it off (leaving a light film) before tapping in (went in fairly easy with a dead blow hammer). I’d say it’s 50/50 worth the cost of getting the complete pulley with bearing. I actually cracked a 10inch C-clamp trying a cold press out before coming up with the above solution on the fly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts