SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right side idler arm is way loose- steering pulls to the left. Does this need replacement or can it be re-bushed?

thanks,
Cliff

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
It can be rebushed using a press. Bushings are readily available.

When you reinstall it, tighten the nut just far enough that you start to feel a little bit of drag on the arm, and no further. Many times they come into my shop over-tightened, and then people complain of heavy steering.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How tough is it to re-bush? It looks in Haynes like you need a special tool- "distance piece".

thanks,
Cliff

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rebush made a HUGE difference. Car running GREAT! Now I need new tires and a seat belt in the back. Anybody know where to find these items?

thanks,
Cliff

·
Registered
857 Posts
Awesome! When I rebuilt my front end in all poly the idler arms were the only ones I didn't do...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
328 Posts
Phil---a quick question...the alignment on my 122 seems fine and travels straight down the road, however, when I encounter irregularities in the pavement or heavy grooves like we have here in the PNW, my car wants to pull and 'roadwalk' quite a bit. Is this typical, or do I need to re-bush or adjust the front end? Car has poly bushings and sway bars.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

John

·
Registered
328 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
John, I would check the toe-in setting. You want just a little bit, probably less that 1/10 inch difference between the front and rear ends of the tires. But yeah, I've driven on the Vancouver / Portland freeways a lot, and in places there are shallow ruts from cars running studded tires. The 122's track is narrower than the space between the ruts, so it does tend to drop one or the other side into them.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
John- thanks for the link... now about those Beetle tires- anybody bought any lately? A quick Google showed a couple of possibilities.

Cliff

·
Registered
61 Posts
If you're looking for stock size (165R15) tires there aren't many choices any more. Lots of people have spoken highly of Vredestein Sprints. Coker Tire has them, as well as several others including Michelin ($$$). I used to run Pirellis on my '66 1800 (long gone, alas), but they're no longer available.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I had bought a set of these tires from discount tire a while back, may be 3 years back. These tires went to my 67 ipd with 4.5" wheels. The tires do a very good job on the dry, the car has very good cornering limits, and it is reasonably predictable in the drift, when you push too far. Good ride too, considering ... But they are not so good on the wet. Probably because they are cheaply made somewhere in South America (?). If I bought tires for this car again, I would probably try the 185/65R15 (since I don't drive this car on the freeway much, the loss of mph/rpm is not of high consequence, plus the car can use a bit more acceleration capability).

But if you have a good budget for this, may be its worth trying the Michelens.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Hunt down a set of Vredestein Sprint Classic 165R15 tires. Your local tire shop should be able to order them. Not cheap, but worth it (and definitely less expensive than the Michelins or anything from Coker).

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
... a little pricy on the Vredesteins considering I paid $200 for the whole car. May do it though. It came with Firestones with good tread that hold air but now that I'm driving it they're developing cracks on the sidewall.

thanks,
Cliff

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
... a little pricy on the Vredesteins considering I paid $200 for the whole car. May do it though. It came with Firestones with good tread that hold air but now that I'm driving it they're developing cracks on the sidewall.

thanks,
Cliff
Cheap tires are out there.

George Dill

1 - 18 of 18 Posts