SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have an interesting one for you guys. My car developed a rough idle yesterday when i came back from school. The revs shake and jump up and down but no more then 200 revs. the whole car shakes like crazy and it sounds like i have a blown exhaust. That got me thinking could it be o2 sensor? Or the ETM? I do have a check engine light on but idk if its anything new because in california i can't go to auto zone to check it because its illegal and i had the check engine light on before because of an evap leak so idk if i have new codes. It sound like a misfire but when u rev it its smooth as butter and has tons of power. But this is the interesting part. When i disconnected the battery and did hard reset everything went back to normal for about 5 min. and then started again. I did it again today and same result. Any thought? thanks a lot

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Yep you need to scan it, but I bet you have a bad coil pack.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok ill will be able to read the codes most likely on tuesday and i will let you guys know. The car is most likely on its second ETM because it has a yellow sticker. And if it was a coil pack would it still be so smooth under driving and acceleration?

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
ok ill will be able to read the codes most likely on tuesday and i will let you guys know. The car is most likely on its second ETM because it has a yellow sticker. And if it was a coil pack would it still be so smooth under driving and acceleration?
Yes they can be intermittent and fail under load.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i took this video so you guys can see and hear it.

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
Dude you gotta get codes, a video is useless aside from telling us that it's missing.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok here are the 2 codes that i pooped up. P0014, P0030. Now the timing being over advanced i understand but i don't at the same time. I changed the cam shaft seals and so when i went to lock the cams together i noticed that the exhaust one was not inline with the head and the intake. It was slightly turned to the left, looking a from the rear of the engine, kinda like - / this is over exaggerated but just so you get the idea. So i thought that i probably messed up the timing a little during the many times i took the timing belt of. So when i made them both straight and locked together and changed the seals and put it back together, everything was pefect. It ran amazing and even improved on mpg. So i don't really understand why its saying over advanced since i only changed it to the proper position. The o2 sensor though i have no idea. Could that be the problem?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey guys so i have one more question. When putting the VVT back on again. Should you put the mechanism so it loads up to the proper position or should you install it unloaded? because I'm still confused with the timing being over advanced. I installed the VVT little off to the left so i loaded up into the correct marking position. was that wrong?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts