SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today on the way home I had a lull in my youtube playlist. For those that don't know, I commute 60 miles each way so I have plenty of time in my car.
While in the car stuck in traffic (thank you I-25 construction adding that 3rd express lane between here and Denver), I noticed an audible hum. It changed with RPM and it sounded basically like a middle octave mouth trumpet, constant hum sort of sound. When I got home, I popped the hood, and the hum continued. It sounded like it was coming from the PCV/Oil filter housing. However with the amount of sound in that area, it was difficult to pinpoint exactly, despite putting my head there.

I pulled the dipstick and checked for suction - still there, and still mild. Hum also did not change.

The only thing I have done to the car recently is:
Oil change - same as always, 0w-40 and a filter every 5k,
New LCAs.
Alignment today by the worst shop imagineable (however hum wasn't there on startup, drive back to office, or startup for drive home, so it's new towards the end of the drive home).
Car has 163k on it and I had the new PCV put on with the new engine at 117k, so almost 50k miles since then.

Is this the START of the PCV Howl? Has anyone ever identified it before it got to the Disptick pulling for relief stage?

Also, if you have some vent stank - I highly recommend ACPro's Vent Cleaner - toxic as all hell but following the directions and I swear by god I have never had vents that smelled as clean as they were afterwards.

Also when I take my "new" knuckle and bearing to the Ford dealership to have it pressed in for my "Ford Focus" I am telling them it is a 2009 or 2010 Ford Focus RS (mk2 I assume is unnecessary to mention?

Also, I have found some kits for our wheel bearings. General search criteria is 78mm and Gen2 and Bearing all in the same string. There are $149-$500 kits out there, and other than coming from China or the UK, you can't really tell the difference. I have not found a kit stateside yet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's an easy fix. You'll need to buy a new PCV cover. I paid $130.00 from IPD. Took about 45 mins start to finish. Lift off the big plastic cover covering most of the engine top. Its at the back held in place by ten or so bolts. Pretty dang easy to do.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Update:

Figured out what it was. I first bought the new PCV Diaphragm, and upon inspection was an exact duplicate of my current one. Apparently new PCV boxes come with the identical diaphragm from the factory, so good to know, replaced it, and howling was pretty much still there.

Turns out it was my alternator - this morning i was driving the kids to daycare and I got the power system service warning on the dash. Drove it to autozone, walked the tater tots across a field to daycare and then had them power test the battery - voltage with the car on was 12.0-12.2 V at idle according to my odb2 reader and battery tested good, so that means the bad rpm based thought it was PCV howl I had before was the alternator going bad. Yay. Either way a Denso 3Pin Reman is on it's way to me. If alternator is original it made it 166k. If not it made it 49k since I have had the car. What a way to start the day.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1 - 5 of 5 Posts