SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This yellow car has been sitting in my driveway for over two years now. My father purchased it new in '82 and kept it up until about the 300,000 mile mark then gave it to his niece who didn't really take care of it but it got her through college. It was given to me and it now has 432 thousand and some change on it. It's had synthetic oil most of it's life and had the oil changed religiously. In fact he installed a valve in place of the oil drain plug to make it easier to drain the oil!<p>I had dreams of restoring it and sporting it out but I realize now that I not only don't have the time but don't have the funds to do it either. So I'm looking for some advice on what the best thing to do with it would be. Should I part it out? Sell it? I heard that this model is desired for fixing up. Is anyone here interested in this car? I'll post some pictures if anyone responds.<p>Thanks

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Re: Ideas for my 82 242 DL? (IRoll4me)

Donating it to charity will also get you a small tax break.<p>George Dill

·
Registered
1,305 Posts

The donating it to charity idea is great - I dontated a 17' boat that had dry rot (floor was lifting up), and I thought it to be worthless.<p>40 days later, it was sold at a local car lot (run by the charity), and I received a $1700 tax credit! Who knew?!!!<p>Still, if you want to pass it on to an enthusiast, try also over at Turbobricks. Those guys pick up cars that others have tossed out & do some remarkable (& not so remarkable) things to them...<br>

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Ideas for my 82 242 DL? (Taleof2Bricks2)

Two really great ideas I had not thought of. <p>I guess it would make me feel better if it went to someone that was going to restore it. Ill take your advice and post in on Turbobricks.<p>Thanks mucho.<p>

·
Registered
2 Posts

Yes, go to Turbobricks. While you may not get any more than you would on your taxes, the car will find a good home with someone who will put some love into the car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts