SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still looking for a solution to connect the Ipod to the V50 (as what is coming out from Volvo is a simple FM transmitter, which will not work for sure in cities due to interference etc.)
Dension still does not deliver the Icelink:
http://www.dension4u.de/shop/p...d=423

But it sells now for 149 euro a FM modulator (Icelink FM for the Volvo) that taps into the antenna with a specific adapter for the Volvo antenna.

http://www.dension4u.de/shop/p...d=425

To my knowledge, this seems the only viable solution at the moment to connect decently the Ipod, provided that the antenna connection will eliminate other FM stations transmitting in the same range.

As anyone tried that?
Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot

·
Registered
444 Posts
From speaking with people in the industry there is currently no way to use an FM modulator on the S40/V50.
(Since I joined the site I have found one member mJrO who has integrated his iPod mini - LINK)

I have even considered the option of the Harmon Kardon Drive+Play but when I spoke with the HK guys at MacWorld this year they were adamant that the FM Mod version of their system would NOT work with the V50.

When I raised this issue in a podcast I got some unofficial "feedback" that Volvo was looking at solving this issue but it would be a long time coming.

So far I have asked Scosche, DICE, Dension, Neo Car Audio, Harman Kardon...

·
Registered
77 Posts
THe Harman Kardon Drive+Play will certainly work with the V50. It includes a wireless FM modulator, just like the Volvo iPod adapter.

I ought to know, I work there. Who at HK did you speak to?

Oh. Oops. You're in the UK. The Euro version doesn't include the wireless FM. Oops.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Re: (Andy Wehmeyer)

Wireless FM modulator? Does that mean it works a bit different from the normal FM transmitter like Griffin iTrip? Does it also mean this wireless modulator delivers better quality of sounds ?

·
Registered
444 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Andy Wehmeyer »
THe Harman Kardon Drive+Play will certainly work with the V50. It includes a wireless FM modulator, just like the Volvo iPod adapter.

I ought to know, I work there. Who at HK did you speak to?

Oh. Oops. You're in the UK. The Euro version doesn't include the wireless FM. Oops.

Andy,
Yeah, UKLand here!
They are in the process of changing the laws for FM transmitters in Europe, but they are stipulating the power output of the FM TXs are LESS than the ones you use in the US.

Now, looking over shoulder for any lurking OfCom agents, I have
tried the US spec Griffin iTrip (purely as an experiment of course) and if they are going to use a weaker FM TXs then it will be as much use as a chocolate fireguard, especially for vehicles with the antenna situated at the rear of the vehicle (as is the case in a lot of modern vehicles).

Does the wireless FM Modulator get affected by interference from FM stations? I know the wired FM Mod basically shuts off the antenna from outside broadcasts (?) so is not affected by transmissions on the chosen frequency, but is that the same for wireless?

·
Registered
444 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Andy Wehmeyer »
Hey Bob,
NO, it isn't the same for wireless. Basically, it's just a low-powered FM station in your car. Why can't you use the wired FM in the V50?

Andy,
Main problem being the MOST system used in the S40/V50/XC90 - until now I have been told it cannot be integrated into the MOST bus. From reading posts in the V50 forum several owners have done this so it's just finding someone to do it for me (I gave up fiddling with car wiring several cars ago).

I'd still like to have a system where the iPod menu is mirrored on the head unit, and is controlled via wheel controls, but I guess that will be a Volvo solution.

Meanwhile I am breaking the law and using a US sourced FM transmitter.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts