SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Against my better judgement decided to make the drive to my family's an hour away last night in my XC60. Lots of freezing drizzle and light snow in Colorado front range and very cold temps for freezing rain (low 20s). My cousin lives up a pretty steep hill on the west side on Colorado Springs. Well I left last night knowing it would be tough but thinking once I get to interstate it would be fine. And then had the harrowing experience of sliding down a about 300 ft hill with zero ability to stop. That was in first gear and tapping breaks. Just slow mow and heart pounding waiting to see where I could stop. Was driving very cautiously. I jumped a curb, took out a mailbox and came to a stop on a boulder about 3 feet shy of a retaining wall with a 8 foot drop and a house below it. Lesson learned...if I scrape freezing rain off my car, probably means I don't need to drive, at least not on untreated hills. Mind you I had no delusions about my 4 wheel drive Volvo being invincible.

Car took it like a champ though. Not even a scratch from the mailbox. Was a little worried the rocks may have hurt something but the clearance looked to be high enough to have cleared em. I left it over night and walked back up and my cuz helped me push it loose this AM. Volvo on call said 2 hrs for a tow last night And couldn't see enough last night to fool with it. Car drove fine this morning so guess it didn't hurt it.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
that sucks. Yeah out here in douglas county, It was very cold and there was lots of snow and ice underneath it. Get yourself some snow/winter tires.. or something called the 'auto-sock' because 4 wheel drive doesnt help you stop or keep you from sliding sideways-- but the right tires will. the hills can be ridiculous around here.

last night...

·
Registered
534 Posts
Famous last words..oh I got a four wheel drive..ha!
Went to see my mom in n.new mexico,had a 1/4 of snow,nice flat road,wind blowing white out conditions
I was running 35 on 55 mph hiway..these yahoos 4 wheel drive and all passing us left and right,5 mins.up the road,they're in ditches,100 yards out in a field on on their sides in a ditch..moral of the story,use some sense,don't pressure yourself to have to be somewhere when a phone call will ease tensions on all sides..glad you are OK,and hey lesson learned,doesn't matter what tires you have either..ice don't give a ****!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts