SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if Volvo is planning to have a Customer Delivery Center at their new South Carolina factory? BMW, who also has a factory in South Carolina, has a very cool Delivery Center at that factory. They build all the X-models for the entire world in SC (except the X1), but customers can order any other BMW model and take delivery at the Delivery Center here. It wouldn't be as cool as the Overseas Delivery program and going to Sweden, but if most of our Volvos are being built at the SC factory, Overseas Delivery wouldn't be an option any longer. After all, they wouldn't build it in South Carolina, ship it to Sweden for you to take delivery only to ship it back to the U.S.

·
Registered
14,004 Posts
Boy I would hope so - that would be great.

·
Registered
615 Posts
A US Volvo delivery center experience ala BMW would be a great PR and brand loyalty builder at little cost to Volvo. Maybe Volvo could have a safety demo exhibit included also.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
if volvo eliminates the delivery charges it would be a very good idea.

if they credited or gave some travel remuneration as well as the basic discounts of the osd experience it would be a great idea and deal!

·
Registered
559 Posts
A US Volvo delivery center experience ala BMW would be a great PR and brand loyalty builder at little cost to Volvo. Maybe Volvo could have a safety demo exhibit included also.
Haha, i could just imagine this.

"Be your own crash test dummy and hop into our small overlap collision simulator! See what run-off road protection is all about and try out our 'airborne', 'ditch' and 'rough terrain' experiences. Step in front of a moving volvo and see our revolutionary City Safety technology at work!"

But more seriously, if the Run-Off Road simulator was actually inspired by a ride at LegoLand, couldn't a reversal of that idea mean that you could design some type of amusement park style rides based on the simulations the car is put through? http://trafficsafe.org/index.php/test-robot-simulates-occupant-dynamics-rough-terrain-9143/

Something safe but fun to put people through (kids especially) while the parents look through the Accessories catalog!

·
Registered
'15.5 Volvo V60 Cross Country
442 Posts

if they credited or gave some travel remuneration as well as the basic discounts of the osd experience it would be a great idea and deal!
Just f.y.i.; if you order a new BMW and specify delivery at their Spartanburg Factory Delivery Center, you DO pay the standard vehicle delivery charge. But after you pay your way to Spartanburg, then you also get a complimentary hotel night stay, dinner, transport to the factory, factory tour, lunch and 1/2 day driving school in vehicle similar to your car. If Volvo did something like that, it'd be great!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

If I'm not mistaken, the OSD (Overseas Delivery) cars don't include the Destination Charge included on other Volvos. If Volvo builds most of the vehicles to be sold in North America at the new South Carolina factory, they will effectively eliminate the OSD program for those models. They pay for two round trip airline tickets and a night in a 1st class hotel among other items as part of the OSD experience, so it would cost much less to offer the same in South Carolina.

Charleston, South Carolina certainly isn't Sweden...but you would get to take the car home with you when you left the factory!

·
Registered
856 Posts
Either way,they are into your pocket.It's just business to make you feel good.Like you saved yourself a bunch of dough,BS

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Either way,they are into your pocket.It's just business to make you feel good.Like you saved yourself a bunch of dough,BS
I had a great time on our OSD trip. When you add in the price of tickets it really is a deal. It is a delivery experience like Saturn promised but really didn't deliver (since the employees at Saturn didn't seem to really feel it, they often came off fake -- I know I'm generalizing but still...). The folks at FDC really care and are there to help you out.

Of course Volvo is getting money for this. I don't expect a car for free. But they facilitated a wonderful experience for me and my wife.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts