SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently ordered an XC90 T8, and while I'm fairly happy with what I ordered, I would be much happier if I could have ordered things across trim lines. For example, I ordered an R-Design, but I wish I could get wood panels inside, instead of the metal or carbon fiber panels. Tying car color, seats, and options to trim levels seems needlessly restrictive. I know this is a common complaint, but I just had to vent.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
I agree especially with R-Design! Like offer leather dash, nappa leather in different colours without Nubuck, cooling seats, rear door sun shades, heated steering wheel with paddle shifters (with R-Design sport steering wheel), fog lights with T8, etc.!

·
Registered
496 Posts
If you want there all type of solutions.

The wood panels are available as accessories, so you can swap them afterwards. The originals you can sell via ebay.

Other parts, not available as accessories, you can order via the parts catalogue. In another threat we discussed to swap the grill. Please note that often these parts are in the part catalogues as an assembly of smaller pieces. It cost some time to figure it all out.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree especially with R-Design! Like offer leather dash, nappa leather in different colours without Nubuck, cooling seats, rear door sun shades, heated steering wheel with paddle shifters (with R-Design sport steering wheel), fog lights with T8, etc.!
I would have loved to order an R-Design exterior, an Inscription interior, with the R-design steering wheel. Or maybe just a Passion Red or Bursting Blue Inscription. Forcing a trim level based on car color seems pretty arbitrary.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The wood panels are available as accessories, so you can swap them afterwards.
Hmm… I haven't found these, I'll have to look closer. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I'm opposite - I don't like endless customization. It makes the process needlessly complicated.

If you try to build an Audi or BMW online - there's so many choices, so poorly explained that most consumer have no idea what they're ordering.

Volvo kept it simple - I think that's good for everyone.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
I'm opposite - I don't like endless customization. It makes the process needlessly complicated.

If you try to build an Audi or BMW online - there's so many choices, so poorly explained that most consumer have no idea what they're ordering.

Volvo kept it simple - I think that's good for everyone.
Keep it simple lol ok Well I still want to be able to choose not Volvo choosing for me! If it's available on Inscription make it available in R-Design as well.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Keep it simple lol ok Well I still want to be able to choose not Volvo choosing for me! If it's available on Inscription make it available in R-Design as well.
But it wouldn't be an R-Design then, would it? The R-Design seems to exist as a "special" design package. If you could pick and choose the pieces you want of it, it wouldn't be an R-Design anymore. It'd be a Brutus-Design and they don't seem interested in that...

·
Registered
218 Posts
The option packages make it way easier to find a car with your ideal options without special ordering. Also, I think they are a relatively good deal:

Park Assist, Homelink, Adaptive Cruise, Lane Keeping, Compass, Grocery Bag Holder, 12V Power Outlet for $1800

BLIS, 360 camera, Auto Dimmed Mirrors, Retractable rear views for $1800

Heated Rear Seats, Heated Windshield, Heated Windshield nozzles for $800

The ala carte options are appropriately more specific features which not everybody would want: Air suspension, rear booster, HUD.

Even the R design does have choice of inlays though they go a sportier direction. I do agree it would be nice to get an Inscription in either bursting blue or passion red. You should really check out the Porsche website for customization options... I priced out a Cayenne base equivalent with equivalent options to my R design build. (20" wheels, air suspension, lane assist, 14 way leather seats, etc.) It was $84K.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have less problem with the "Packages" bundles and "Options" bundles than I do with the "Trims" bundles. The Trims just pull too much stuff along with it, IMO. Why are some paint colors only available on some Trims? Why isn't there more choice about what seats I can get? You can customize your panels on some Trims, but not others, and there are different choices available on different Trims. Etc.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I have less problem with the "Packages" bundles and "Options" bundles than I do with the "Trims" bundles. The Trims just pull too much stuff along with it, IMO. Why are some paint colors only available on some Trims? Why isn't there more choice about what seats I can get? You can customize your panels on some Trims, but not others, and there are different choices available on different Trims. Etc.
Simple Answer: SKU rationalization.

The more options, the more potential combinations. You lose operational efficiency when you allow your SKU's to run wild.\

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Simple Answer: SKU rationalization.

The more options, the more potential combinations. You lose operational efficiency when you allow your SKU's to run wild.\
I get why they might want that, but they already allow more customization options on OSD orders. They have more options in other countries than they allow in the US, as well.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Maybe Volvo's marketing team read this book:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/00...x of choice&qid=1448309824&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Like Thoreau and the band Devo, psychology professor Schwartz provides ample evidence that we are faced with far too many choices on a daily basis, providing an illusion of a multitude of options when few honestly different ones actually exist. The conclusions Schwartz draws will be familiar to anyone who has flipped through 900 eerily similar channels of cable television only to find that nothing good is on. Whether choosing a health-care plan, choosing a college class or even buying a pair of jeans, Schwartz, drawing extensively on his own work in the social sciences, shows that a bewildering array of choices floods our exhausted brains, ultimately restricting instead of freeing us. We normally assume in America that more options ("easy fit" or "relaxed fit"?) will make us happier, but Schwartz shows the opposite is true, arguing that having all these choices actually goes so far as to erode our psychological well-being. Part research summary, part introductory social sciences tutorial, part self-help guide, this book offers concrete steps on how to reduce stress in decision making. Some will find Schwartz's conclusions too obvious, and others may disagree with his points or find them too repetitive, but to the average lay reader, Schwartz's accessible style and helpful tone is likely to aid the quietly desperate.
(full disclosure -- I haven't read the book, just heard about it. And I've copy-pasted the review from publisher's weekly posted on the amazon page).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts