SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Remember this thread?

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?182408-Replacing-my-headlights-with-this...-Thoughts

Well, I pulled the trigger on the headlights and they arrived today :D

Had some other work being done on the car (the darn wire for the hood release kept failing, apparently got snagged on the IPD intercooler so they had to move it a little for it to work properly) so it was an ideal situation to install the new headlights.

And I know, pictures or it didn't happen, so here they are (beware, taken at night in the garage while it's poring down rain outside)

Nice huh? These are the V70 version. Why? Because that adds chrome to the interior of the headlight assembly making it match better with my electric silver :)

Another angle

Parking/walk-me-home light

Low beam

The money shot! High beam with the additional HID ... Yay! Saw a big improvement from the lame "no one needs high beams in the US" attitude of yesterday ;)

(with flash)

Only miscalculation on my part was that the wiper blade/motor assembly does not fit with the 2008 headlights, nor can I add the original high pressure jets since the bumper doesn't match (and I replaced it this year due to an accident, should have waited so I could have gotten right one :p ... Oh well).

All in all very pleased, only thing left to do is to obtain wiper hole covers, get them painted and put them in.

And for anyone wondering, this is a 1:1 replacement, no software changes are needed, you just swap out the headlights and enjoy a dramatically improved low/high beam. These lights are Valeo originals and as such have the correct connectors and everything. Even autoleveling as expected.

Highres versions (if needed) can be found here

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
That looks really cool, kind of unique considering no one else really has these on an R.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Any error messages with these lights?

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
OP kudos for doing something new :thumbup:

i'd be surprised if the answer was a no. It would be so nice to be able to turn headlight warnings off with a vida/dice setup.

There was a s60 posted a long ways back that had really really nice lights. I wonder if i can find the pic of it. They may have been these lights modified a bit though. It was a s60 with body kit and looked really really sharp. It was probably one of the sharpest regular s60's i've seen.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Those are the 2007+ HID's (with active cornering) that were available through the end of the P2's production. Think of how excited I was when I ordered my 2007 R and knew that these new lights were standard... then found out that they were only available on non R's.

What'd you do with your old headlamps?

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Those are the 2007+ HID's (with active cornering) that were available through the end of the P2's production. Think of how excited I was when I ordered my 2007 R and knew that these new lights were standard... then found out that they were only available on non R's.

that vertical section lights up iirc too, that'd be sweet as a drl. (i like drl's though some don't)

:(

parts hoarder... :D

if i could retrofit those and get around the dash warning (even if active cornering didn't work) i'd be all over it. I should keep my eyes out for a cheap pair and dump the spare set of R headlights i have.

·
Registered
533 Posts
So these aren't plug and pray? lol :)

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
put some xpel or lamin-x on them asap so they wont fog up on ya. The plastic ones weigh a LOT less dont they?

if i could retrofit those and get around the dash warning (even if active cornering didn't work) i'd be all over it. I should keep my eyes out for a cheap pair and dump the spare set of R headlights i have.
it would be way cheaper to do a projector retrofit on the 01-04 headlights if all you wanted was projectors and a high beam.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts

i'd be surprised if the answer was a no. It would be so nice to be able to turn headlight warnings off with a vida/dice setup.

There was a s60 posted a long ways back that had really really nice lights. I wonder if i can find the pic of it. They may have been these lights modified a bit though. It was a s60 with body kit and looked really really sharp. It was probably one of the sharpest regular s60's i've seen.

Exactly why I asked someone from overseas has these lights and I believe I remember there was an issue with error codes on the dash. If it isn't an issue and I can put these on my 04 I'm going to seriously think about it. My fiancee was making fun of how shiiitty my high beams are last weekend lol.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts

·
Registered
1,341 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Congratulations! Now you have a 2.5T. :D
I don't mind, I like having my car classified as a "sleeper" :) ... Also, no 2.5T S60 has these lights since they are from the 2008 V70 model so they have chromed housing instead of the black plastic of the S60.

None! Plug'n'play, I tried all the different light settings (you know, low beam, parking, off, fogs, high beams, etc) and no warnings or errors. My mechanic (Nordic Motors @ Redwood City) just swapped them in.

Be ready to be surprised, no warnings :) But, the lights you show here are the adaptive curve lights and they might throw warnings, but I'm not sure.

I'm actually thinking of eBay:ing them :) Maybe some 2.5T S60 owners might wanna look like an R? ;)

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
So will these work on an 04 or am I SOL?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That looks really cool, kind of unique considering no one else really has these on an R.
Thanks :) Not only that, now I'm able to see where I'm going when driving to Yosemite at night :D

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Well 04 iirc need a software update for European lights and can't just be configured in VIDA without software downloads like 05 plus.
I may very well be wrong tho. Either way the lights look great!

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
More pictures of the headlights! Not sure I like the look of them from the ones you posted. They look a little plain.

Also, anyone complaining about the stock headlights: have you adjusted them up slightly and are you using the D2S bulbs instead of D2R? Night and day difference.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
More pictures of the headlights! Not sure I like the look of them from the ones you posted. They look a little plain.

Also, anyone complaining about the stock headlights: have you adjusted them up slightly and are you using the D2S bulbs instead of D2R? Night and day difference.
I did the change (ie, adjust them up) and while it helped, the power was still insufficient and the cut-off was very abrupt and left me with guessing what was lurking just beyond. D2S instead of D2R I didn't try. Would they even fit?

·
Registered
293 Posts
I swapped in the ABL lights from an 2007+ vehicle into my 2004.

No error codes, but the Active Bending bit does not work.

Andres

1 - 20 of 40 Posts