SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To make a long story short, my R was towed from my private parking space and now I have slight damage (scrapes and scratches) to the car's body and all of my rims are scraped up. Needless to say, I am fuming.

According to the towing company they elevated the car from the front using a wheel lift type tow truck and they "claim" they used dollies. I have not had time to review our security footage to verify this. I brought it to my mechanic and we couldn't find any noticeable damage under the car. However, there is still the cosmetic damage to deal with. The manager claims that there equipment would not have caused the scrapes and that I caused them myself. I find this hard to believe considering that they were not there before, or at least, not to the magnitude that they are now. I have an appointment with him this evening to discuss the matter. Its obvious how the body got scratched up, but does anyone have any suggestions on how the rims could have gotten so messed up?

My guess is they rubbed against the dollies or whatever they used while in transit

Thanks for the input

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
.......... =(

Hope they used dollies...

·
Registered
352 Posts
The big question is " private parking space"? Why towed and sue em for everything...

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Re: I was towed (zodiac0)

Sorry to hear this but lession learned. Ask no im sorry TELLLL THEM!!! you need a flat bed!!! thats the olny way your sopes to toe a volvo any ways. even with the dollies it cauld still mess up the AWD and rip the rims appart
Hope it workmoutnfor you thow my friend.90% of toe truck driver are re res any ways

·
Registered
1,712 Posts

Get the exact tow truck used and operator that towed your car. Then, ask for a demo of how they (or him) tow a car using that truck...

Get the security tape ASAP.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Re: I was towed (S60R1)

Quote »
The big question is " private parking space"? Why towed and sue em for everything....

+1

and all the rest is good advice too

·
Registered
4,563 Posts

Quote, originally posted by zodiac0 »
my R was towed from my private parking space

If it's your space, is there any way to find out who had you towed? I would hold them ultimately responsible.

Modified by mad matt at 12:32 PM 6-2-2009

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
unfortunately many (or most) towing guys do not care if they cause damage. My friend got his 09 Benz towed and not only they scratched the wheels but were very rude he came to pickup his car.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Re: (s140s)

Quote, originally posted by s140s »
unfortunately many (or most) towing guys do not care if they cause damage. My friend got his 09 Benz towed and not only they scratched the wheels but were very rude he came to pickup his car.

"So many a**holes...so few bullets..."

Andrew Dice Clay

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: (s140s)

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll post an update after my meeting tonight.

So it got towed from our apt building's small (25-30 spots) gated parking lot. We all have assigned parking spaces and I have been a resident there for about a year with my car parked in my assigned spot EVERY single night. Apparently there have been problems where other residents letting their non-resident friends use the parking lot and they steal spaces. Hence the building has a contract with a towing company to tow these people. Furthermore, due to a building manager getting his car towed!!!, the towing company is supposed to call the building manager to confirm the tow prior to taking action. However, this only applies during office hours, and seeing as how they towed me @2am this was not an option for them. very sneaky!

Anyways, we are also supposed to display a parking permit on our car and because the permit does not fit on the R's review mirror I leave in the center console when driving and then throw it on the dash when I park. I was in a rush and I forgot to throw it on the dash when I parked my car and the rest is history.

So yes I forgot to display the permit, but considering I park there every day you would think that common sense would kick in. Or, they would at least try to contact someone prior to taking action.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Re: I was towed (VolvokidS60R)

Quote, originally posted by VolvokidS60R »
Sorry to hear this but lession learned. Ask no im sorry TELLLL THEM!!! you need a flat bed!!! thats the olny way your sopes to toe a volvo any ways. even with the dollies it cauld still mess up the AWD and rip the rims appart
Hope it workmoutnfor you thow my friend.90% of toe truck driver are re res any ways

By chance are you related to this guy?

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
absolutely worth reviewing the surveillance footage - if it is on a digital system it will jump to the times there were motions - if not, play it at 4x till you hit the tow.

·
Registered
352 Posts
"permit does not fit on the R's review mirror" I use the Plastic Clip in the windshield... Or trim the permit

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: (mjaffe)

falls out of the plastic clip and the permit is too small to trim. Just tried sticking it in the dash and it almost blew out my window on the way home...

Apparently I am not the only one with this issue and the building is looking into a different type of parking permit.

Not looking for sympathy on the reason for why the car was towed. I am not contesting the fee that I paid to get it back. My problem is the damage they inflicted upon it.

UPDATE

Was unable to review the security footage today. Doing so first thing in the morning.

Went to see the manager of the towing company and discussed the damage. Manager claimed that the equipment used could not have inflicted the damage and it was my fault. When I told him that I am very anal about my car and that I know what damage was there and what was not, he made it clear that he thought I was full of it.

He then showed me the photos that were taken prior to the car being towed. IMO the pictures confirmed all of my complaints, but his opinion was the exact opposite. The flash washed out the car (it is silver) in almost every picture, but according to him "the flash" was damage that was already present on the car. He even went so far as to call a pixel of light on one of the rims prior damage. I think he knew his pictures were not that great because when I asked to see all of them he didn't want to and argued with me.

Anyways, we went back and forth for a bit longer, neither of us yielding and then he started to lose his temper and asked/told me to leave and that he didn't want to see me again until court. I thought it was odd that he was the one that suggested court.

So now I am gathering research for court. Its pretty much going to be my word against his, so I have no idea how well it will go. Wish me luck.

Modified by zodiac0 at 5:03 PM 6-2-2009

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Re: (zodiac0)

Is this reminding anyone else of the debacle on the 'Tex concerning the "Dolly Man"? You know, the one who got booted and is fighting I believe "Arizona Parking Solutions" or something like that?? The whole "I park there all the time, for a long time, they should know my car by now yet they are RETARDED" thing?? ....Just for clarification, NOT the OP is retarded, the towing company / booting company is...

-Steve

·
Registered
17 Posts
Also, you can tow the R from the front, as the haldex disconnects when the car is off. As long as your ebrake was off, you should have no mechanical damage to the car. This is in the owners manual.

·
Registered
16,979 Posts
Tech they stole your car ....
Sue them for all they got and then some.

Your much more level headed then I am

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Sucks about the damage, but it was your fault you got towed. Is there a sign posted about the towing in the lot? Hopefully there is no disclaimer about damage from towing or damage in general from parking in that lot. That probably wouldn't favor you much.

Off-topic: VolvokidS60R has stated he has a learning disability. He contributes a lot on this forum and is very knowledgeable. Please don't ridicule him for his posts. He helps out a lot, he could just sit back and not post at all, which would be the forums loss, IMO. I can decipher his posts, I'm sure most of you can figure them out as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: (SHIFT_S60R)

I agree about the towing, but they should be responsible for the damage. There is a sign and it just says "cars will be towed at owner's expense"

There is no mention of who is liable for damages.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.