SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've been lurking on here for awhile and now I know I want a xc90. I've always been a VW lover and I currently have a 2000 Passat 4motion Wagon with 250k+ miles. When I was looking for something bigger I found the xc90 and fell in love with it! I've been stuck on going between a 2006 2.5T or a 2008 3.2L. It seems everyone leads more towards the 2.5T but I don't know if I want to deal with a turbo engine again. Plus a timing chain seems to be a nice bonus. In my area they seem to both go for around the same price (3k). Thanks for taking the time to read this post and I hope to own a xc90 soon! :)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hi everyone,

I've been lurking on here for awhile and now I know I want a xc90. I've always been a VW lover and I currently have a 2000 Passat 4motion Wagon with 250k+ miles. When I was looking for something bigger I found the xc90 and fell in love with it! I've been stuck on going between a 2006 2.5T or a 2008 3.2L. It seems everyone leads more towards the 2.5T but I don't know if I want to deal with a turbo engine again. Plus a timing chain seems to be a nice bonus. In my area they seem to both go for around the same price (3k). Thanks for taking the time to read this post and I hope to own a xc90 soon! :)
welcome welcome! I originally was looking for a Volvo touring but after lurking here for a year it grew into a xc90 v8.... so this is a scary place be warned!

·
Registered
879 Posts
2.5 > 3.2

3.2 has/will have oil consumption issues and the 2.5 is the best engine volvo made.

The 3.2 is also dog slow

Yamaha V8 > everything

·
Registered
285 Posts
2.5 > 3.2

3.2 has/will have oil consumption issues and the 2.5 is the best engine volvo made.

The 3.2 is also dog slow

Yamaha V8 > everything
OK - and yet I have 200k trouble free miles on my 3.2 and don't find it dog slow for the type of vehicle it is attached to. Maybe I just got lucky. That said, there's a very well known track record of the GM transmission equipped 2.5s to suffer multiple transmission failures and the V8 has its own issues that are well documented here.

-- DavidV :D

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
the 2.4 and the 2.5's in my s40, C30 and s60 all had or have oil consumption issues. The 3.2 did not. i would go through a qt over the 7500 mile OCI. Also, I wouldn't call the 3.2 dog slow either. It holds its own.

·
Registered
251 Posts
OK - and yet I have 200k trouble free miles on my 3.2 and don't find it dog slow for the type of vehicle it is attached to. Maybe I just got lucky. That said, there's a very well known track record of the GM transmission equipped 2.5s to suffer multiple transmission failures and the V8 has its own issues that are well documented here.

The 2.5T doesn't have a GM transmission.

OP: I'd go with the 2.5T, there's relatively tons of room in the bay to work on them and it's a really solid power train overall. The '06 is definitely the best of the bunch. I think the 3.2 is fine from '08 on, some trans. solenoid problems reported. I've also seen reports of problems with the aux. belt rollers/tensioners snapping off the timing cover and failures in the aux. drive at the rear of the engine, costly repair as I understand it. Maybe those problems are anecdotal, but I'd go with the 2.5T just the same.

·
Registered
285 Posts

OP: I'd go with the 2.5T, there's relatively tons of room in the bay to work on them and it's a really solid power train overall. The '06 is definitely the best of the bunch. I think the 3.2 is fine from '08 on, some trans. solenoid problems reported. I've also seen reports of problems with the aux. belt rollers/tensioners snapping off the timing cover and failures in the aux. drive at the rear of the engine, costly repair as I understand it. Maybe those problems are anecdotal, but I'd go with the 2.5T just the same.
I stand corrected, that was the T6.

·
Registered
98 S70 Base, 06 S40 T5 M66 FWD, 08 C70 M66, 11 XC90 V8, 13 C70 P*
1,005 Posts

+1. (Although I agree with gunshow re: the V8. I miss my 2.5T, but this V8 is lights out better. Just not looking forward to the day I actually have to do any serious work inside the engine bay!)

BD

'06 S40 M66 T5 FWD, '08 C70 M66 T5 Premier Plus, '11 XC90 V8 AWD, '13 C70 T5 Platinum P* ('94 854T, '05 S60 2.5T FWD, & '04 XC90 2.5T AWD R.I.P.)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone! I love the body of the 2008 better but I probably will go with the 2.5T! I know the V8 is superior but I haven't seen any for sale around here at all!

·
Registered
879 Posts

No GM trans.
The 3.2 is probably the slowest accelerating car/engine combo we have since the 240.
You are lucky as I have done dozens of piston replacements on the 3.2 and there are quite a few TJ's regarding oil consumption. The pool of problems I see is larger than the one car you own (no rudeness intended).
V8 has the fewest problems out of all in my experience. Replaced belt pulleys and leaking cam covers is about it with an occasional alternator failure.

the 2.4 and the 2.5's in my s40, C30 and s60 all had or have oil consumption issues. The 3.2 did not. i would go through a qt over the 7500 mile OCI. Also, I wouldn't call the 3.2 dog slow either. It holds its own.
You are wrong twice.

The P1 cars you listed is a different engine than what he is asking about. The older 2.5 has NO oil consumption problems or TJ's related BUT the 3.2 has a couple and I have repaired dozens. Please know before posting.

I stand corrected, that was the T6.

Fair enough.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
No GM trans.

You are wrong twice.

The P1 cars you listed is a different engine than what he is asking about. The older 2.5 has NO oil consumption problems or TJ's related BUT the 3.2 has a couple and I have repaired dozens. Please know before posting.
I'm not saying the 3.2 does not, I am saying in MY experience, that is the one that hasn't had any consumption for me so far. I think that forums make it a bigger deal than it is as there are quite a few 3.2's out there across multiple models and not all of them blow oil. Just like the READ issue where there is an advisory for. There have been a few failures but forums push that and drive people away from this particular engine. The 3.2 is a perfectly fine drivetrain. I put 180k miles on mine in just over 4 years. At the end I had to replace the Haldex pump and the rear diff because of the pinion bearing.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I'm not saying the 3.2 does not, I am saying in MY experience, that is the one that hasn't had any consumption for me so far. I think that forums make it a bigger deal than it is as there are quite a few 3.2's out there across multiple models and not all of them blow oil. Just like the READ issue where there is an advisory for. There have been a few failures but forums push that and drive people away from this particular engine. The 3.2 is a perfectly fine drivetrain. I put 180k miles on mine in just over 4 years. At the end I had to replace the Haldex pump and the rear diff because of the pinion bearing.
Absolutely nothing wrong with a 3.2 for long term but its more common than not to burn oil and is (in my opinion) a dog.

Read issues are far more scarce than oil consumption in my market.

Land Rover uses the 3.2 and had the same oil consumption issues.

Volvo says it is normal to use 2-3 quarts between 7500 services but I have seen consumption well beyond that on over a dozen cases.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Absolutely nothing wrong with a 3.2 for long term but its more common than not to burn oil and is (in my opinion) a dog.
"Dogness" is subjective. I've had cars with 400+ hp and others with 32 hp. I would not call an XC90 3.2 a dog, especially considering its weight and capabilities.

Volvo says it is normal to use 2-3 quarts between 7500 services but I have seen consumption well beyond that on over a dozen cases.
Mine started suddenly; one day I could say I'd never seen the oil minder come on between oil changes and the next day I was looking at a quart every 1200-1500 miles (5-6 quarts added between changes and a quart down when I drain it.) It's like all the oil control rings failed at the same time. Still, oil is cheap compared to car payments, taxes and insurance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ok, I need to add my 2-cents. I have owned three XC90s over the years: 2004 w/2.5T I5, 2005 w/V8, and my current one a 2008 w/3.2 I6. Never had the T6.

I would rank them in overall quickness from best to lowest as:
V8
3.2 I6
2.5T I5

The V8 definitely the quickest. That being said, the 3.2 and the 2.5T are definitely not Dogs.

The 3.2 beats the 2.5T in low and mid-range RPMs and thus feels quicker around town. Somewhat because of turbo lag.
The 2.5T MIGHT be better at higher RPMs as it spools out.

The only one I had any issues with was the transmission on the V8. Had to have it rebuilt after I had it for a year or two.

My 2008 3.2 has 145,000 miles on it. Doesn't burn an ounce of oil.

Any of the three would be good. The 2.5T was the least desirable for towing, but still not bad.

·
Registered
238 Posts
RIP v8 gearbox... knowing how close the engine torque output is to the upper limit of tolerance I don't dare to stomp on mine that often; definitely fun though!

·
Registered
92 Posts
i bought a V8 with 99,000 miles on it. It's up to 225,000 now....I don't do a lot of standing-start launches, but aside from that I tend to drive it hard, and it seems to be holding up just fine (engine & trans-wise, anyway). Only thing I would do differently is buy VIDA/DICE immediately.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was reading the used buying guide on here and it says most models below year 2007 have transmission issues except the 2.5T. So does that mean a 2008 V8 is okay? Found one for sale today. V8 would be awesome since I live in the mountains.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Yah, most issues were ironed out by 2008.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I was reading the used buying guide on here and it says most models below year 2007 have transmission issues except the 2.5T. So does that mean a 2008 V8 is okay? Found one for sale today. V8 would be awesome since I live in the mountains.
Look at it very closely for oil leaks. Even better, get a pre-purchase inspection from a qualified shop. The V8 is a good engine with one bad design flaw (counter balance shaft bearing), but the tight packaging in the XC90 makes repairs costly. Catalytic converters for example can be extremely expensive to replace. Oil leaks are hard to repair. And the countershaft bearing repair is very labor intensive. Having a later engine serial number with the drain hole doesn't mean the bearing doesn't wear out. If you love the V8 and are willing to deal with potential repair costs then fine. Otherwise a 3.2 FWD is going to be much more serviceable and cheaper to maintain. The 2.5T is a good engine too. Turbos usually do better in the mountains in terms of maintaining power output, but it's a lot of car to haul around.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.