SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello i am new to this forum i have browsed on here for a while. i have undertook a project about 2 years ago my dad owned my current car and my wife fell in love with it the first generation of v70 she would not trade or sell this car for a Lamborghini. i was a mechanic 3 years ago for the better part of a decade so i am mechanically capable. but did not realize the amount of work i was facing. okay so up to this point here it goes..
1 replaced bad turbocharger with a salvage yard one was not producing boost tons of shaft play...
2 tune up plugs wires cap rotor
3 replaced all rubber hoses and degenerating fittings
4 replaced entire pcv system after blew rear cam seals
5 replaced all struts ball joints control arms sway bar links and bushings
6 drive axles in the front and axle seals
7 currently replacing alternator low voltage..serp belt tensioner and idler all were trash
8 the drivers door does not open latch is broken.....lol my wife refuses to drive the newer car till its fixed and climbs out the window dukes of hazzard style

somehow this car has grown on me as well from a mechanical standpoint this car was ahead of its time and it seems to be well built i still have a way to go and currently share my wives vision of keeping this car for a very long time. i have plans for performance mods in future but cant seem to reach stage zero due to the complete lack of maintenance. however currently this car still runs strong and my car with 90k thats 15 years newer has a bad trans go figure....lol
so for starters has anyone else had a door not open at all is is not the lock it is the actual latch how do you remove latch without damaging door pannel or door...
and my next maintenance item is the timing set after door of course.
in the near future i would like to go 19t and get close to a 300 hp mark is tuning yourself the only option for those power levels.
and does anyone else have experience in those power levels and how serious the modifications would be. and also if the ptu and trans can even handle that level on a daily driver basis we dont drive our cars hard but i like to have it when i want to have a little fun. thanks in advance im sure i will have many questions in the future and look forward to posting the progress here.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Car getting new tires today. And now it does not hold boost...lol back to drawing board cant wait for that crossover point when things don't break faster than getting fixed ordered trans and oil line seal kits from ipd today thinking about flushing trans shifts good in sport mode but in economy shifts sluggish but does not slip....198k on eng/trans to my knowledge everything but the timing belt appears to have not been touched until me on this car

·
Registered
965 Posts
Replace the TCV if your having boost issues $35. part new

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think that is the issue I just got access to a scan tool p0300 p0302 p0303 p0304 p0305 coolant temp sensor code just started reading erratic on gauge today after tire shop on way home SAS system code that one is a broken hose not to worried about it valve is unhooked evap code.......it already has brand new plugs wires cap rotor I think its seeing misfire and pulling boost it has original coil....but normally don't they just quit

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will check fuel pressure soon do not want to just throw parts at it the o2 sensors are original so is maf I am getting ostrich 2.0 for future plans so I can data log and tune but stage zero has been elusive...lol everytime something gets replaced 2 more issues show up

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
The coolant temp sensor can cause some rough running issues. Make sure to use only an OE Volvo sensor.

Other common causes of a multiple cylinder misfire include the crankshaft position sensor and the cam position sensor.

As far as the boost issue, check for vacuum/boost leaks before replacing anything. Make sure all of the intercooler piping is nice and tight.

For your mention of tuning in the first post, there are a few tuners out there for these cars. Being a M4.4 car, look into Vast. http://vasttuning.com/

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Waiting on parts found oil around plugs already did Pcv system. Debating new wires I used oriellys wires cap and rotor then later I saw a thread that these cars are picky on ignition I found a tear in blow off valve diaphragm only getting 2lbs on gauge got a new oil cap seal from ipd and trans flush kit and oil and trans line reseal kit and a fuel filter because I have not done one yet I already have silicone charge air connectors and after that moving on to brakes any suggestions for brand or any easy/budget friendly upgrades on braking system want to do hoses calipers pads and rotors 20+years on calipers and hoses I'm sure

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Yeah, the Bosch cap and rotor are best for these cars.

Stainless brake hoses are a nice cheap upgrade. They improve braking feel and they are more durable than rubber. You can upgrade to the 302mm rotors as well, all you'll need are the caliper brackets and rotors. You'd also need the extended 302mm brake hoses. The one thing to keep in mind though it that you'll need large enough wheels to clear those.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Yeah, the Bosch cap and rotor are best for these cars.

Stainless brake hoses are a nice cheap upgrade. They improve braking feel and they are more durable than rubber. You can upgrade to the 302mm rotors as well, all you'll need are the caliper brackets and rotors. You'd also need the extended 302mm brake hoses. The one thing to keep in mind though it that you'll need large enough wheels to clear those.
Hopefully oil cleaned of spark area and leaks on engine repaired will take care of misfire if not I will suspect poor quality ignition components I had never seen an oil cap leak like it does on this car I got the better gasket from ipd hopefully that helps I thought after doing cam seals and full pcv system the leaks were behind me installed new radiator. then oil cooler and trans lines about a month later began leaking at radiator I'm exited it should be a leak free 20+ year old car to me that's somewhat of an achievement

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Coolant temp sensor fixed hard start issue thank you for your input still have p0300 but car is not running as bad now.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The coolant temp sensor can cause some rough running issues. Make sure to use only an OE Volvo sensor.

Other common causes of a multiple cylinder misfire include the crankshaft position sensor and the cam position sensor.

As far as the boost issue, check for vacuum/boost leaks before replacing anything. Make sure all of the intercooler piping is nice and tight.

For your mention of tuning in the first post, there are a few tuners out there for these cars. Being a M4.4 car, look into Vast. http://vasttuning.com/
Have you used this tuning company before first time I have heard of them I know it being a lpt block detionation is very easy to obtain at higher than stock boost levels.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Also another snag I have ran into I have been looking at exhaust options as the stock downpipe appears to be the bottleneck for performance in future not finding many options due to the car being daily driven down time with custom made is not ideal i have no issue swapping to angle flange when changing turbo but I would like to be able to install both at once with minimal down time are there any awd pipes that don't require lots of modification to make work I am also not concerned with maintaining SAS emissions testing does not happen in my area.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Have you used this tuning company before first time I have heard of them I know it being a lpt block detionation is very easy to obtain at higher than stock boost levels.

I have not, but I know of many people who have had great results with a tune from Vast. Aaron knows what he's doing with M4.4, and I would trust his work.
Also another snag I have ran into I have been looking at exhaust options as the stock downpipe appears to be the bottleneck for performance in future not finding many options due to the car being daily driven down time with custom made is not ideal i have no issue swapping to angle flange when changing turbo but I would like to be able to install both at once with minimal down time are there any awd pipes that don't require lots of modification to make work I am also not concerned with maintaining SAS emissions testing does not happen in my area.

Downpipes are available from many sources for these cars including ipdusa.com and vivaperformance.com. You also have to keep in mind that with AWD, the downpipe is a little different due to clearance issues with the angle gear and prop shaft.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have not, but I know of many people who have had great results with a tune from Vast. Aaron knows what he's doing with M4.4, and I would trust his work.

Downpipes are available from many sources for these cars including ipdusa.com and vivaperformance.com. You also have to keep in mind that with AWD, the downpipe is a little different due to clearance issues with the angle gear and prop shaft.
Ipd said they don't have anything that fits my car for downpipe they essentially told me to have one custom made $$$$

1 - 16 of 16 Posts