SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I disassembled the heater, the heater core had a pad, like a belt, that went all around it. It came apart as we took it out. Where can I find another ? I think it just pads the core inside the housing.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Photo? Dimensions?

Since I've never taken my heater core apart, I don't know what you need. But would a piece of 1/8" thick hushmat work? Like a sponge on one side and glue on the other.

·
Registered
555 Posts
JW63;

Function of that (what 50 years ago was soft polimer) was to softmount and pad HC to enclosure, to prevent vibration wear and leaks, also to prevent air from bypassing the HC...I'd use self-adhesive weather stripping, in however many layers necessary, to do the same now. Don't forget to leave halves slightly open when installing into vehicle, so that temp sensing for Heater Control Valve can be reinstalled.

Cheers

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ron,

Don't forget to leave halves slightly open when installing into vehicle, so that temp sensing for Heater Control Valve can be reinstalled.
I probably would have forgotten that. I didn't remember removing it, when we pulled the unit apart.

What seal or sealant goes between the halves of the housing ? I haven't seen a seal for that in the diagrams, so I suspect it may be a sealant.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ron,

The temp sensor probe/tube or what ever it's officially called, looks to stay on the interior side of the firewall, not between the actual halves of the heater core housing, as far as I can see. It's coiled up under my dash, but in reach of the spot where the heater core bolts onto the car.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Ron,

The temp sensor probe/tube or what ever it's officially called, looks to stay on the interior side of the firewall, not between the actual halves of the heater core housing, as far as I can see. It's coiled up under my dash, but in reach of the spot where the heater core bolts onto the car.
You are correct. On PV series cars, the tube is usually poked through the duct on the passenger side of the firewall.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Follow-up question.

I took all the parts out and cleaned and painted them and got the proper coolent lines and installed the engine bay side of the heater, but as I had the nuts for the under dash part finger tight, I realized I could not see exactly what path the temp tube was supposed to take to sit in the unit and near the core. I can't just slide it between the underdash unit and the firewall, as that would crush it, when I tighten the nuts that hold the complete heater to the firewall. I thought it might go through the opening for the defroster hose and be covered by the hose, but I don't see evidence of that. Where DOES it go to get in the path of the air through the heater core ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts