SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At 187K mi. was rebuilt at 139K mi by previous owner at local shop. It has been a really good up to this point and today, shifted great, no leaks etc. At a stop light, transmission wouldn't engage while in Drive until the revs came up to about 1500RPM. Then it kind of crawled. Pulled over, shifted over to manual mode; not much joy in First gear, Second and up worked and got home, was about 2 miles. Reverse works fine.

No messages on the dash, scanned and no codes in VIDA. Fluid level is full and still pink from over a year ago when I changed it and the filter.

So I have no clue on this, any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Is there anything I can test with VIDA? It has 2nd and 3rd when manually shifted, but not first. Doesn't engage at all in D. Reverse works normally

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Just triple edge the box out and enjoy the sweetness of the twin turbos...

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Looks like the rebuild kit is $750. Anyone know a ballpark figure on the shop cost on one of these for a rebuild?

·
Registered
294 Posts
I think I found a GM transmission shop that did it (using the Triple Edge kit) for $2,450.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I found a GM transmission shop that did it (using the Triple Edge kit) for $2,450.

Before the other forum went down (and I still can't get on there on my browser), there were a couple posts on there (now lost) that suggested it could be rebuilt in the vehicle. Judging by the price difference between the OP's rebuild, it's looking like that may be the case. Does anyone know if that is the case? Thanks

·
Registered
294 Posts
The issue with either of those routes is getting the transmission on and off. I believe it must come from the bottom of the car.

But, if you can do it...

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Photos from Konrad, the person who's noted in the first post (pg 3), does it all in the car- https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B7dUgU4y2GqrOXEtaS1sM1ZOOE0
Thanks ggleavitt, that helps a lot. I will likely not attempt this myself, but maybe I will. I was wanting something to document for the transmission that it can be done in the vehicle and now I have it.

The symptoms right now are that it has reverse. It will not engage in D, it engages and drives manual shifting in 2 and 3, but not in 1. I will likely give Triple Edge a call as this condition is not on their FAQ's.

Thanks

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wanted to add that when I shift the lever to D drive, the RPM's go up from what they are in N neutral, as if it's totally disengaged. Also, I was noodling around with VIDA/Dice on the parameters of the TCM. The reading for the "Current gear according to gear ratio reads:
1 in P
R in R
1 in N
1 in D

and 1(1),2(2),3 (3) in manual shifting.

Does it mean anything that it reads 1 in P,N and D?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Sorry, I see no answer.

But did you figure out the issue?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry, I see no answer.

But did you figure out the issue?

Yes, it is a broken forward apply band. Transmission needs a complete rebuild. Dave from Triple Edge was very helpful and stuck with me through all my questions. I didn't initially see the broken tab as it was just kind of hung up there, looked ok at first. I'm presently weighing trying to rebuild it myself and if I want to take the risk of getting it wrong, along with all the attendant work I'd need to do on the motor (timing belt, water pump etc.). At 190K mi. it's a bit of a gamble. I looked at this video and this is the method that I'm thinking about, given space constraints and a low ceiling in my garage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln4hcxqKQbM&t=997s and the rebuild here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDhqBosGGMA&t=335s

A question I have is that in the first video, he drills out spot welds in the bumper beam assembly in order to shepherd out the engine and trans to the front. Not sure I'm comfortable with that, but it would sure help as vertical space is limited. Any thoughts on that?

Otherwise, I'm considering just parting it to myself and finding a 2.5T as a replacement and scrapping what's left of the T6.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I was all for DIY on the transmission on my T6, but eventually just decided to pay a GM tranny expert to rebuild it using the Triple Edge Kit. Yeah it cost money but I got the XC90 for almost nothing.

I am 40k miles in and the tranny is strong.

Plus I hear the T6 is more fun to drive than the 2.5.

But, I'd say give it a try. The worst is you learn something and then part it out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts