SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a used Phuz FMIC and drove it around the block a couple of times to test it out. Car seemed ok, but had a code displayed. "Engine System Service Required" (I think). I pulled over an plugged the MAF back in and drove home hoping the code would clear. I also noticed a burning plastic smell. I let the car sit while I put away my tools hoping that the code would clear after another test drive. I let the car idle in the driveway and looked for the source of the smell. It went away.

So, I went for another test drive. I drove a little farther this time, about a half mile away and up a hill. I noticed the smell again and turned around and headed home. Half a block from home the car sputtered, made a popping/backfiring sound and died. The car will start, but won't stay running.

I left it somewhat parked and went home for a beer. I need to go back and pull the codes to figure out what's going on. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am tempted to call AAA and have it towed to my mechanic with my credit card taped to the dashboard

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I would bet a hose popped off in the intake tract between the air filter and the throttle. If you've lived a good life and have decent karma, it'll be where the turbo and the OTE pipe mate. If you've lived an evil life and regularly run over kittens, it'll be the inlet to the throttle or to the turbo. Both are annoying. The plastic smell was probably just manufacturing oils burning off. Double check every joint and do a smoke test if you have to.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for the replies. I will go back and check for boost leaks tomorrow morning. I had to take a break. What a PITA!

·
Registered
536 Posts
We'll expect an update

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
Yeah don't worry, I'm sure it was just a hose.

·
Registered
745 Posts
When I put in my FMIC I blew off the hose to the throttle body on the test drive. The car sputtered and died. I walked home. Upon seeing me leave with a car and arrive back home on food my wife said, "Test drive went that well huh?" But once I put the hose back on and tightened it properly all was fine.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
99 percent chance of just a blown off coupler, the throttle body hose is especially prone to blowing off if you don't get the OE clamp on it just right, or like me try to use a T Bolt clamp, and it just won't work on that spot because the lip on the throttle body is too close to the actual body of the throttle not giving the T Bolt clamp enough space to tuck down in, so it stays on top of the lip then pops off when you get into boost.

We have all been there before. I have had to do emergency surgery on the side of road to get IC piping back on in several different cars.

If the car has made you extremely mad some times it's better to just take a break and come back to the car tomorrow when your not pissed off at it, and can hit the problem from a fresh angle.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Myself, I make sure the connections are clean and free of oil, and I apply a tacking agent (hairspray). No issues, unless the wife finds out.

I use hairspray on dirt bike and mountain bike handles, man does it stay put.

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
I've found WD40 does the same thing. I used to use it for all my bmx grips back in the day.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I live in San Mateo, CA. Let me know if you need help finding the problem. PM your number if you like. It must be a popped hose somewhere.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UPDATE: Thanks guys for all of the very helpful replies! You guys helped a ton. It was a blown coupler. It was right below the Airbox. The kit that I bought used is an early version off Phuz' FMIC that uses the plastic Throttle Body tube (cut) and coupled to a short pipe with the TBS mount and nipple welded to it. I ordered a proper FMIC Throttle body tube from Phuz:http://phuzzymotorsports.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_2&products_id=7

We've had 2-3 days of 95-100 degree heat. This FMIC has really surprised me. I wish I did this mod sooner. The car is noticeably more responsive and pulls harder. I am one happy camper:)

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Nice job. I absolutely felt the difference a FMIC can make living down here in FL. In the summer it at least feels OK and once we get into the chilly 70's, it really wakes up.

·
Premium Member
3,745 Posts
UPDATE: Thanks guys for all of the very helpful replies! You guys helped a ton. It was a blown coupler. It was right below the Airbox. The kit that I bought used is an early version off Phuz' FMIC that uses the plastic Throttle Body tube (cut) and coupled to a short pipe with the TBS mount and nipple welded to it. I ordered a proper FMIC Throttle body tube from Phuz:http://phuzzymotorsports.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_2&products_id=7

We've had 2-3 days of 95-100 degree heat. This FMIC has really surprised me. I wish I did this mod sooner. The car is noticeably more responsive and pulls harder. I am one happy camper:)
Oh yeah. That plastic pipe makes it very difficult. Until I got a metal TB pipe in, I just used a ~2.5 or 3" exhaust coupler crammed inside of the plastic pipe. That gave me something solid to clamp down on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts