SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... well partially at least. I was attempting to replace the incandescent bulbs with some LEDs in situ in the dark with the igntion on and of course I shorted the bulb circuit with some tweezers. I now have no power to any of the serviceable bulbs :angryfire: The unit is still working fine. all the on board LEDs are too, just no night time illumination. Cracked open an old faulty climate control unit to see if there happened to be a fuse in circuit but nothing. Probably fried a transistor or 5! Anybody ever do something similar? Can this be saved?

·
Registered
2007 V70 2.5T FWD
106 Posts
I've been tolerating lights winking out over the years, and finding some buttons and switches in the dark is becoming a PITA. I bought new tiny lamps and installed them, without disconnecting the unit, but they did not light up.

Is it possible to simply swap in a used climate control unit? I recall reading years ago that pulling the plugs on the back of the unit will require involvement of a VIDA in some fashion (which I don't have) when reconnected.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can swap in a like unit - mine was out of a same year v70. You need to disconnect the battery while swapping to avoid generating the ABS Service message.

·
Registered
2007 V70 2.5T FWD
106 Posts
The climate control unit in my '07 V70 T5 FWD is doing it again.

BUT, everything seems to function except for the fan's intermittent running (and some lamps). The fan does not make a worn bearing noise; it's either working or not working.

Used ECC units from a same year donor V70 are ~$45, so a swap seems the simplest way to go. Are there any other cautions I should be aware of beyond disconnecting the battery?

TIA

·
Registered
2007 V70 2.5T FWD
106 Posts
You may loose a compartment afterblow function (if you had it previously).
I have afterblow in my '07 V70. In the event afterblow doesn't engage with the replacement ECC, my understanding is my mechanic can enable it through his VIDA.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I have afterblow in my '07 V70. In the event afterblow doesn't engage with the replacement ECC, my understanding is my mechanic can enable it through his VIDA.
He needs to officially reprogram it with a new software for CEM and CCM, $70-somethinng in VIDA Online.

·
Registered
2007 V70 2.5T FWD
106 Posts
I reviewed all the available used ECC units for the P2 cars, and realized from YouTube videos that I better stick with a unit from the the same year and model car and with the same array of switches across the bottom. (My '07 V70 has one switch plus two blanks.) There was only one that matched, and I snagged it.

Today I did the swap, and all switches and lights worked on the display, a nice improvement. The heated seats worked as well. But the fan did not blow! It worked (albeit intermittently) with the defective original ECC. Fuse was good. Blender solenoids were functioning. I drove the car for 8 miles to warm the coolant, but that had no effect.

I had get going to my independent Volvo/Saab mechanic for an exhaust pipe (I don't do exhausts!) and I was going to have him connect his Volvo computer to diagnose the fan. About 15 miles into the journey with the ECC on Auto, the fan starts up. Everything is working! I run it through the override manual modes and they work. The mechanic's computer detected no codes. I suppose the replacement unit had to get used to its new home before it would cooperate.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Hah, that’s a great tale!

2002 V70XC, 2003 V40, 2004 S60, 2010 V70

·
Registered
2007 V70 2.5T FWD
106 Posts
Uh oh. All was well until this morning in upper 30F weather. The unit would not respond on auto or manual fan with A/C on or off, until about 20 minutes into a drive, when it all just began to work normally. The original unit did the same!

Does the regulator on the fan have a role in controlling the climate control system?

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Define "would not respond"? The flaps would move, but no fan blowing? It can be the resistor, right. Or the fan's motor. The resistor often blows and pushes the motor at 100%, though.

·
Registered
2007 V70 2.5T FWD
106 Posts
Define "would not respond"? The flaps would move, but no fan blowing? It can be the resistor, right. Or the fan's motor. The resistor often blows and pushes the motor at 100%, though.
The fan did not blow until about 20 minutes into the drive, not in auto set at 80F, not on manual with A/C on or off. But the green LED indicators around the radial fan knob did light up throughout the range.

The “flaps” that direct the route of air through the duct have not been a problem with either the original or replacement climate control unit. I hear them move when I press the center buttons on the control unit.

So in effect, it was just the heater fan motor that wasn’t running...until it did about 20 minutes into the drive after starting the car cold. Fuse is okay. My gut says it is something that is impacted by warmth, outside the replaced climate control unit (i.e., not the thermistor). Loose/open circuit connection that closes with heat? The cast regulator unit ("resistor"?) attached to the fan? On top of that, this does not happen every drive.

Edited to add: It’s the next morning at 34F and same symptom. No air blowing from fan. Temperature knobs set all the way up above 80F. Set on Auto. Drove for 45 minutes. Outside temp up to 38F. Ignition turned off twice. Fan rotary switch turned high. Still no fan after 45 minutes.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'm having a similar problem with my 07 XC70. In the summer, the problem started with the fan not responding immediately to provide A/C after getting into and starting the engine. Both the temperature sensor and fan were replaced and the system was calibrated more than once. Thereafter, with the temperature calling for cooling the system blew very hot air for about 20 minutes into a drive before calling for cold air which should have happened immediately after staring the car. Now, after sitting overnight in freezing temperatures the fan does not blow on high speed once the system calls for heat after the engine temperature is off the "cold line". Then, during the day, if I turn off the engine and then re-start while the engine is still warm I get the extreme heat again for about 20 minutes before everything settles down.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
My gut says it is something that is impacted by warmth, outside the replaced climate control unit (i.e., not the thermistor). Loose/open circuit connection that closes with heat? The cast unit (resistor?) attached to the fan?
Regulator is like $25 on ebay, $60 for Behr (OE IIRC). Fan is easy to check while it's out: attach it to a +12v briefly.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
In case you haven't figured this out yet,IT'S COLD OUTSIDE!
I would not worry about it at this point, until it warms up.
If it works EXACTLY the same, on the day at the end of next week when it becomes 60-70 degrees outside, then worry.

·
Registered
2007 V70 2.5T FWD
106 Posts
The fan didn’t blow at all today. I watched the R&R video and I really don’t want to take everything apart without replacements ready to go in, even if there’s a chance the motor or regulator tests out okay, so I’ll order $145 of motor and regulator from IPD. It’ll be a “parts replacement” style of diagnosis that’s so popular these days.

·
Registered
192 Posts
In case you haven't figured this out yet,IT'S COLD OUTSIDE!
I would not worry about it at this point, until it warms up.
If it works EXACTLY the same, on the day at the end of next week when it becomes 60-70 degrees outside, then worry.
Believe me I recognize that it's cold outside and I can't wait to get to Florida for January 1st. If my system holds true to what it was doing in the summer it will still blow HOT air when I'm in Florida.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts