SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two weeks ago, I had new tires installed and a four wheel alignment performed.

Today, the weather was nice and I serviced the AOC.

Like many others here, I was confused about where to lift with my floor jack.

I drove the front tires onto ramps and then tried to lift on the designated spot on the rear passenger side. I could not get it high enough. It also seemed to place a lot of strain on the right rear wheel. The angle looked weird. So I gave up on that approach.

Since the how to video showed a jack stand between then two rear control arms, I thought that would be safe place to jack it.

I heard a pop as it was going up, but nothing that concerned me.

Anyway, on the follow up test ride, the car now pulls to the right when I let go of the wheel.

Think I only messed up the toe with that first attempt or was that pop something to be worried about after all?

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Does not sound good.

You can use something like a bubble level or a steel yardstick or piece of hardware store square tubing to perform a rough toe check. Hold the straightedge or whatever against the sidewalls of one tire and sight along it like you are aiming a rifle. From the rear of the car, you should see that your straightedge is aiming at the outside edge of the front tire. Compare the right side to the left side.

If your straightedge is aimed at a door, or if it misses the front tire by an inch or so, You have a toe problem.

If you are careful, have good light and good eyes, this method can be surprisingly accurate. If fact, I once saw AJ Foyt do it once in the middle of an Indy 500 after he brushed the wall. Hillarious, actually. A hammer was invlolved.

You can do something similar in the vertical direction to get a rough idea of camber.

I have a Craftsman level with a built-in laser pointer that works great for this.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Problem was identified as toe being out on the *front* wheels. Both were oriented towards the passenger side.

With the front tires on the car being on ramps, I can't explain how lifting the rear would cause the toe to shift on the front wheels. It may even be the case that the tie rod adjusters weren't torqued to spec and worked loose. Who knows.

Anyway, problem solved. But another issue was noted that warrants a different thread.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Did you get a "four wheel alignment"?

You want to make sure that the rear wheels are not trying to steer the car one way and you are just compensating for that by making the front wheels steer the other way.

If you have an alignment sheet from the shop, you should look for something called the rear thrust angle. This is a measure of where the rear wheels are pointing.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes. It was an AWD alignment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts