SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The R needs timing belt and tires before xmas. Plus the clutch is close, and shocks will be next. I figure I have $5,400 worth of repairs to make in the next 12 months on the R. My wife and kids dont really like the car. So these 3 are what I test drove today.

Staying with a "sporty" type car, and down sizing

............2012 VW Golf R 6 speed awd = $32k

Upgrading back to a 4 door luxo car like my Audi

............2013 VW CC Executive VR6 Auto AWD = $40k

Staying with a 4 door boy racer

.............2013 Ford SHO Turbo Auto AWD = $44k

All prices before my best "deal". Trading in the R. Figure $8-10K trade in (very optimistic)

I am leaning towards the Golf R. I dont know if I could be happy driving an automatic, even with the flappy paddle shifters. And I want to get smaller in size.

The wife wants the CC. It's closer to the Audi we used to have. FWIW, she hates the R.

If I dont get the Golf R, I want the SHO over the CC. Much more guts to the SHO but the CC is more LUX.

What say the internets?

·
6,436 Posts
I'd take the vdub with a 6 speed manual only because it's got a nice manual

however, the car is very heavy

you'll want to upgrade the rear haldex

oh and SHO is a boat!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Wouldn't you be losing just as much selling a car that needs all that work. Maybe even more?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Honestly, don't get a Golf R. Just buy a MK6 GTI 4-door and save yourself $10K. There is no extra speed in the R, the AWD is nice, but not noticeable unless you're tracking it, and with decent snow tires, the GTI will perform just as well in the snow.

I contemplated the Golf R, but after driving one, no thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Golf R as well for me; AWD, the additional power, nostalgia of the R emblem + haldex would probably curve my feelings of loss a bit.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Woha those are some crazy cars to cross shop. I just drove my neighbors new SHO and loved it but there's a whole lot of car there, but if you need space it's the way to go.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I thought I would be interested in the SHO, then I took one for a drive....

Felt like a fat, bloated pig on the road! Sure it can move at a decent pace....... As long as you go straight!

·
Registered
588 Posts
I personally would go with the Golf R over the GTI. But that's just me :)
Have you personally driven both? I have and I see almost no reason to buy an R over a GTI. AWD is mostly it...and for what? $10K extra? I loved the R32, but this new R does nothing for me.

Golf R as well for me; AWD, the additional power, nostalgia of the R emblem + haldex would probably curve my feelings of loss a bit.
Nostalgia of the R emblem? The R emblem has been around since 2004. The GTI emblem, on the other hand, defined a genre of cars.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I'm a VW guy, and in that genre, I'd be hard pressed not to look at the new Focus ST.

I suggest you cross shop that a bit. Same HP as the R, faster, better gas mileage, and WAY cheaper.

Oh, seats are better too. I was unimpressed with the Golf R's seats. That's sad, considering the MKIV R32 seats were among the best ever.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Nostalgia of the R emblem? The R emblem has been around since 2004. The GTI emblem, on the other hand, defined a genre of cars.
I think you misinterpreted. I meant if OP was moving from a S60 R to the Golf R, it'll give some sort of nostalgia. Secondly, The Volvo R line has been around since 1995 and several generations of R cars (850, S70,V70, S60).

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I personally would go with the Golf R over the GTI. But that's just me :)
Interior upgrades in the Golf R are what sell me more than the extra power.

AWD is a big plus for me though. The GTI's steering wheel will rip out of your hands if you are not paying attention.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Woha those are some crazy cars to cross shop. .
Agreed.

I want the small Golf R. AWD + small form factor + 6 spped will keep me a happy driver

The wife wants me to get the CC. more room for family road trips + she is tired of the boy racer cars I usually get.

If I had to get the 4 door family size car, the SHO is all that interests me right now.

·
Banned
3,517 Posts
You are an idiot if you go for an "unknown" car coz your ride needs some service.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
The Golf has always had a huge aftermarket scene which is a big plus over the other 2. The SHO while expensive and quick is like a really fast Mustang, something good going straight but don't try to take a quick turn :D at least in my experience.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Have you personally driven both? I have and I see almost no reason to buy an R over a GTI. AWD is mostly it...and for what? $10K extra? I loved the R32, but this new R does nothing for me.
No, I never driven one but I've been in my buddy's Golf R and liked it. I would buy it for the awd

·
Registered
337 Posts
Agreed.

I want the small Golf R. AWD + small form factor + 6 spped will keep me a happy driver

The wife wants me to get the CC. more room for family road trips + she is tired of the boy racer cars I usually get.

If I had to get the 4 door family size car, the SHO is all that interests me right now.
I think it's time for you to grow up and out of the boy racer cars. Get something your family will appreciate. You are only as happy as your wife and kids....

·
Registered
588 Posts
I think you misinterpreted. I meant if OP was moving from a S60 R to the Golf R, it'll give some sort of nostalgia. Secondly, The Volvo R line has been around since 1995 and several generations of R cars (850, S70,V70, S60).
That makes more sense...Kudos. GTI has still been around since the mid '70s though. Real nostalgia there.

Interior upgrades in the Golf R are what sell me more than the extra power.

AWD is a big plus for me though. The GTI's steering wheel will rip out of your hands if you are not paying attention.
The interior upgrades from the GTI to the R are minimal. Basically, leather seats.

You're right that the GTI has some serious torque steer, but for $10K in my pocket, I'd deal.

Agreed.

Again, look at the Focus ST. Not sure if it's got a diff or just some trick TCS, but it's $25K for one equipped comparably to the fully loaded Golf R 4-door.

Think about it this way, the A3 S-Line will only price you about $2K more than a Golf R, and that is a SERIOUS interior upgrade.

The Golf has always had a huge aftermarket scene which is a big plus over the other 2. The SHO while expensive and quick is like a really fast Mustang, something good going straight but don't try to take a quick turn :D at least in my experience.
Ironic, since the new Stang handles as well as my E46 did.

No, I never driven one but I've been in my buddy's Golf R and liked it. I would buy it for the awd
To each their own, but not worth the $10K to me. Doesn't feel fast either.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I think it's time for you to grow up and out of the boy racer cars. Get something your family will appreciate. You are only as happy as your wife and kids....
Ironic, this is why I got the S60R.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts