SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Obviously, online forums like this and every other car board emphasize the complaints. Who wants to post about normal operation of their vehicle? People with problems look for answers, so it's only natural for those kinds of posts to dominate all activity.

Because of this, it's really hard to get a handle on just how reliable any given vehicle really is. Regarding the S60, all the news I can find indicates it should be a reasonably reliable vehicle. CR still rates it as average to above average in reliability. My own S60, which I've now owned for well over a year, has been 100% reliable with only one routine maintenance trip to my dealer, plus another to get the Sensus 3.0 update done. I have seen none of the issues reported here. No water leaks around the sunroof, no rattles from anywhere, no starting or battery issues, no odd noises or vibrations.

Is my car, and its trouble free operation, the exception to the rule? Are we all just responding to the few with serious issues and ignoring the vast majority who have enjoyed a trouble-free ownership experience?

How many of us have had no real issues with our cars? I am really curious.

Aside from service issues, I remain very positive about the S60 and the job Volvo has done with it. Unlike the majority of auto writers and testers out there, I find the S60 to be highly competitive with both BMW and Audi. I've owned, and lived with, those other brands and am still impressed with the overall competence of this little car. The upcoming 2014 "refresh" can only make a good car better.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Purchased my 2011 just under one year ago, it had 9,000 miles on it and almost all of those were in dealer loaner service. Being a first year of the new model I was not expecting it to be perfect. By and large my experience has been trouble free.

Only issues so far (query if they are "real?"), most of which resolved early in my ownership:
-Leaking driver's side door seal with water pooling by the tweeter/BLIS cover. Took two dealer visits, but the issue was resolved.
-Wind whistle from mirrors and body - fixed per the Service Bulletin.
-There are some very minor rattles and squeaks, but I turn up the radio and mostly don't pay attention to them anymore. I test drove a brand new IS-F before buying my T6, and that car had more rattles than my 98 S70.
-Sensus issues - fixed with 3.0 update (which was admittedly difficult to have done).
-TCM update fixed jerky shifts (although, as with 3.0, it was like pulling teeth to have the software flash performed at the dealer).

Overall I am very satisfied with the car and the ownership experience. Service could be better but other than Lexus/Acura I don't know which brand really emphasizes the service experience any more.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Add me to the list of lucky ones saholz. I picked mine up OSD April 2012, put 3000 miles on in Europe, and have put another 8000 miles on since then in the US.

No service problems. I didn't have any of the pre-Sensus 3.0 issues people mentioned (but got the upgrade anyway). I've been to the dealer one time: 7500 service and Sensus upgrade. I changed the oil after 11,000 miles (3500 interval to have it tested) and rotated the tires shortly after the dealer service.

Noise issues: passenger seatbelt buckle rattles against B-pillar on occassion (so what), seat leather makes rubbing noise against seat belt receptical in certain positions (only with belt off, only when getting out of car), GPS bracket (aftermarket) rattles on rough road (my fault, I didn't use sticky pad), and Ham radio in trunk rattles (have to tighten down).

I only mention the "noise issues" to have something to list.

Car was solid at 130MPH on Autobahn. Equally solid at legal-limit in my area. Tows trailer load of firewood without a complaint. I have more than enough power to deal with local (and local highway) traffic in some of the worst driving-behavior parts of the US (Philadlephia, NJ, NYC). It also handles unpaved (but fairly flat) roads in undeveloped areas too.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ham radio? KS1S here...active on 80 through 2 meters.

·
Registered
338 Posts
2012 T5 with about 48,000 miles on it. Trouble free so far as well.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Ham radio? KS1S here...active on 80 through 2 meters.

KB3RIJ. Really only active on VHF/UHF and then when mobile. I have a nice Kenwood 830 but don't have an antenna set up yet.

I have the FTM-350, radio in trunk, remote head attached to the dash with my portable nav unit. I posted pictures somewhere on SS -- the trunk install and head unit.

·
Registered
176 Posts
My V60 has been trouble free also. Only little nag are the creaking doors over un-even surfaces, which I know a lot of people have the same issue. I´ll take it to the dealer but want to wait til service time to do so. Other than this, 100% trouble free.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Almost 15,000 on my 2012 T5. Other than iPhone BT issues which have all been fixed with software upgrades and the rough downshift, also fixed with a software upgrade, the car has been perfect. Quiet, comfortable, good gas milage, good looking. I only wish they had the AWD T5 last year. I really really really miss having AWD (came from XC70). Oh well, only 2 years left on the lease...

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a 2012 T5 with about 17,000 miles. No issues so far and this was a loner car when I purchased it (12/11). Perhaps the dealer fixed the initial issues before I took delivery. The car history shows several updates and recalls were addressed before 12/11

·
Registered
147 Posts
My S60 T5 delivered to me May, 2011. I currently have just over 29K miles on the clock. No issues except for a "worn" rubber seal on lower body at bottom of driver's door - on order now. At each FREE regular maintenance interval, I have had no complaints. I have always received latest software updates including Sensus 3.0 upgrade and "hard downshift" experienced early (I never complained about it, they just fixed it).

I am a previous Acura driver (3 TL's over 9 years) and I can testify this car compares very favorably. My wife especially likes the safety features on this car and i like using regular gas instead of required premium on Acura.

So.......bottom line - we have no regrets whatsoever.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Really no issues to talk about besides the usual software updates that everyone else has mentioned. Still have some problems with my bluetooth via my phone works when it wants and doesn't other times. Mine is most probably one of the earliest builds - 11/10. However, purchased it new in 6/12. Currently have 8,000 miles and hope to drive it for the next 7 years and then give it to my son to take to college and then buy another one to drive until my next son goes to college and give the next one to him :) Then I will be broke and most probably will be driving a 10 year old Kia with over inflated fuel economy figures.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Unlike the majority of auto writers and testers out there, I find the S60 to be highly competitive with both BMW and Audi.

Who says the S60 isn't competitive? IT got second place only to the BMW 328i in a MotorTrend review and that car was fitted with optional sport suspension and bigger wheels while the S60 was fitted with the optional softer "Touring" suspension. I imagine the S60 with the Dynamic suspension would have been an even closer call between the two.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
October 2010 build date on my T6 which I purchased in august 2011. Has 18K miles now.
Only issues are interior rattles and Sensus has frozen up once. Other Volvos purchased
new are a 1995 855 GLT and 1998 S70 T5M (both solid cars and the 1998 is a very
good year for the first gen FWD models). My T6 beats them in first year issues: The
T5 had an engine oil leak and the 855 had a no start condition - both within the first
couple thousand miles of purchase.

By the way, adjusted for inflation (using CPI), my old 98 S70 would list today for $44,525 (original sticker
was about $32K). So I think reliability, safety and especially value have increased with the latest
models from Volvo.

Our Xc90 has been pretty good with only the turn signal stalk failing. Purchased used with 35K miles three
years ago and now has 65K miles. It does eat tires, though.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Who says the S60 isn't competitive? IT got second place only to the BMW 328i in a MotorTrend review and that car was fitted with optional sport suspension and bigger wheels while the S60 was fitted with the optional softer "Touring" suspension. I imagine the S60 with the Dynamic suspension would have been an even closer call between the two.
Here is a follow-up after the above tests where the comments reflect your observation about
the Dynamic suspension and other options:

http://blogs.motortrend.com/swede-s...a-lasting-impression-22019.html#axzz2DNUiVFhm

"After having driven the eight sedans, and knowing the BMW was the clear winner, the Buick the clear caboose, and the Audi, Lexus, and Acura the obvious 4 through 7 takers, it came down to Mercedes and Volvo for next best. My notes said Volvo. Unlike the C250, the S60 felt more special, not only offering a high fun factor and stellar performance, but also standout style."

·
Registered
14,004 Posts
No real issues after 15k - I have owned it for 9 months after six months as a loaner car.

Car is very solid with no rattles whatsoever.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Not too competitive at all from a performance point of view. I find my S70 is more fun to drive than the S60, so..... But from a comfort point of view, then yes it's very competitive. I met an Audi owner a few months ago who took delivery of a 2012 A4, and he hates the seats. Maybe he didn't adjust them properly or something? Audi generally has very good seats from what I hear. Of course, nothing comes close to the Volvo.

Anyways back on topic: For those with no problems, take your car to the high pressure car wash and see if your sunroof leaks. That seems to be the easiest method to determine build quality, around the sunroof anyways. Bothering me again as winter is approaching. Yes I can prevent it by closing the sunshade, but it doesn't change the fact that the sunroof is leaking. See my thread for details.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Love my S60..........no problems except slight moisture from sunroof when washed at a high pressure carwash......love the Dynamic suspension too!!!

·
Registered
989 Posts
Who wants to post about normal operation of their vehicle?
Congratulations on getting a jewel. I too love my car and will soon write a full review. More + than - right now with two months and 1500 miles on the ODO. This cabin is whisper quiet and the road handling is exactly what I was looking for. Great manners. One major complaint that others have noticed too but time should tell if there's an adjustment on the way.

As well, my '05 has been 86,000 miles of fun, next to no drivetrain issues and it's one of the biggest reasons I bought a second Volvo.

Thanks for the balance to the rants we throw down. We're human and like to vent. This forum is our outlet.

Your only complaint is that you might be left out of our rants. :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
My first post and I'm happy to say no issues except a/c compressor recall in first 6 months 4k miles. I really like this car.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts