SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It was $290. Pretty cool though.

1. With the remote, I can open/close all windows or open/close the top.
2. The top open/close button that is in the car can now be used as "one touch", meaning I don't have to hold it the entire time the top is in motion.
3. I can now open/close the top while moving (slowly). It is programmable to 4 different speeds, 25 mph being the fastest. I have it set to 20 mph.
4. The side mirrors dip down when I put the car in reverse, supposedly to aid in backing up but I can't quite figure out how this would help.
5. The door locks can be set to A) Unlock when ignition is turned off OR B) Unlock when key is pulled out OR C) Factory setting.

There's a few other things that it does but I can't think of them right now. Installation wasn't too bad. Took about an hour.

Next purchase? Polestar.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've got one in mine. R u sure you can put the windows UP and DOWN via the remote? It does not list that as a feature. Perhaps they made an update?

As a suggestion, I always keep the fastest speed programmed. Not that I use it, but it's nice to know it's there for those times that maybe I try to get that top up or down at a light...in the rain especially.

Actually, I try not to do it in motion at all as unlike in my Miata, as it's easy enough to start opening with the remote and just use the one touch after I walk away and have the top finish closing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
4. The passenger mirror dips down when I put the car in reverse, supposedly to aid in backing up but I can't quite figure out how this would help.
My ONLY issue with this feature is that my wife and I both drive the car, and have different seat/mirror configurations tied to each of our keys. The way this feature works is that when you shift into reverse, it moves both mirrors to preset #3, and then when you shift back into drive it goes back to preset #1. So I had it all set up for me, but when my wife would drive and back out of a parking space, the mirrors would end up set up for me rather than her. I eventually had to disable the feature as it was causing her to have to manually re-set the mirrors in the middle of parking lots.

Other than that though, my experience with the box has been great. My only wish is that it would lower all the windows after I put the top down (they always end up raised) but that's easy enough to fix with a long press on the unlock key (or the buttons on the driver's door.) I asked the makers if they could add the feature, but apparently there is a technical reason why it can't be done (although I don't know why the box can't just send the "all windows down" signal after it finishes stowing the roof.)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've got one in mine. R u sure you can put the windows UP and DOWN via the remote? It does not list that as a feature. Perhaps they made an update?

As a suggestion, I always keep the fastest speed programmed. Not that I use it, but it's nice to know it's there for those times that maybe I try to get that top up or down at a light...in the rain especially.

Actually, I try not to do it in motion at all as unlike in my Miata, as it's easy enough to start opening with the remote and just use the one touch after I walk away and have the top finish closing.
Yes, I am sure. Hold down the unlock button and they go down. Press the lock button twice and they go up. It could be an update, and if you go to their website, you can update yours. All you need is to plug the module into a USB port on a laptop with a wireless internet connection. I left the USB cable plugged into my module and the other end (the end that would plug into my laptop) is accessible by opening the taillight access panel.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
That's a pretty cool feature; although we're on our third Volvo convertible and have gotten used to the quirks.(Like windows UP after top is lowered???)

The all windows down feature is nice and we can't figure out why it's not on the XC60 in particular.

The mirrors tilting in reverse is something we 'got back' with the new RDX(our Lexus RX had it) and I think it would be a nice feature on the C70. On the RDX, you can choose right-left-off for mirror tilting(not both at once like the Lexus).

I know top operation while moving has been around since the '60s, but I'll 'settle' for being still while operating the top...old dog and all that :) . Being able to operate the top remotely is remotely interesting...hmmm.Congrats on the upgrade.

·
Registered
51 Posts
It was $290. Pretty cool though.

1. With the remote, I can open/close all windows or open/close the top.
2. The top open/close button that is in the car can now be used as "one touch", meaning I don't have to hold it the entire time the top is in motion.
3. I can now open/close the top while moving (slowly). It is programmable to 4 different speeds, 25 mph being the fastest. I have it set to 20 mph.
4. The side mirrors dip down when I put the car in reverse, supposedly to aid in backing up but I can't quite figure out how this would help.
5. The door locks can be set to A) Unlock when ignition is turned off OR B) Unlock when key is pulled out OR C) Factory setting.

There's a few other things that it does but I can't think of them right now. Installation wasn't too bad. Took about an hour.

Next purchase? Polestar.
Glad to hear it works well/as promised. Bought the module recently and now appears I am going to trading the C70 on a Lexus (long story--kids are bigger, backseat not working well etc). In any event, if anyone is interested I will be posting it over in the classified section. $299 new--mine is still in the factory box, hasn't even been opened. Will be listed for $200. Enjoy, I will miss my convertible!!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yes, I am sure. Hold down the unlock button and they go down. Press the lock button twice and they go up. It could be an update, and if you go to their website, you can update yours. All you need is to plug the module into a USB port on a laptop with a wireless internet connection. I left the USB cable plugged into my module and the other end (the end that would plug into my laptop) is accessible by opening the taillight access panel.
LOL. This worked on mine too. For some reason I had it stuck in my head that to putting them up only "worked" when the top was already up by finishing the cycle.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Glad to hear it works well/as promised. Bought the module recently and now appears I am going to trading the C70 on a Lexus (long story--kids are bigger, backseat not working well etc). In any event, if anyone is interested I will be posting it over in the classified section. $299 new--mine is still in the factory box, hasn't even been opened. Will be listed for $200. Enjoy, I will miss my convertible!!
Thanks for all the replies folks (wow!) Module is sold. Sorry to those who were not first to email.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
did you all install this yourself? i would love to add it to my 08 c70 but am not a great mechanic. plug and play i can do... what's involved? is there a video?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I installed it myself. There is no video but it comes with good instructions that have pictures. It took me about an hour. The hardest part is getting your hand in around the trunk carpet. I couldn't get power from where the instructions said I would find it so I just wired it to a hot 12 volt wire. So, I did use a multimeter. And the wire has to be hot whether the key is on or not. I would not take it somewhere to have it installed because they will probably charge you too much for what is a very easy job. If you need help, get a friend and a few beers. It's easy. And you will love the features of this thing. Being able to put the roof up or down while moving slowly is great.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
coo, thanks! you've got me really interested in getting it now. would love to have the top opening up as i walk towards it, or having it close as i'm walking away.

where did you end up finding the hot wire?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I can't remember exactly which wire was hot. What I did was sharpen one of my meter's probes and poke through the insulation of a few wires until I found a hot one. The ground was a wire screwed to the top of the fenderwell in the same area that the instructions tell you to be. Ground was very easy. I just loostened the screw and added the ground wire from the module to it. Speaking of instructions, here's what you'll get.

http://www.mods4cars.com/sms/db/smarttop/ext/support/manuals/volvo/STHFVO1/install/en.php

http://www.mods4cars.com/sms/db/smarttop/ext/support/manuals/volvo/STHFVO1/operation/en.php

The module itself is very small. Maybe 2" x 3" x 1".

·
Registered
169 Posts
Bud, do you happen to remember the color code on the Hot wire you used? i ordered the smart top module, should arrive in a week or so. planning to install once it gets here.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No. But I can tell you that any "always hot" wire will work. And the only reason I manually found one was because I couldn't get the one in the instructions to work. Maybe it will work fine for you.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I wouldn't mine installing but; I'm afraid to do something as that as car is under warranty.
Does anyone think it would be a problem?

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
well, i'm going for it. still have a little bit over a year on my factory warranty but why miss out on year's worth of enjoyment -- this smartop will increase my enjoyment of the car quite a lot i think. it's a pain to have to sit and wait for the top to come down.

really look forward to starting the process as i walk up to the car and being able to pull out slowly as it finishes if it's not done. or to 1 touch push should i decide once i'm already in the car. and i would appreciate seeing the parking space lines more easily when reversing so like the down tilting side mirrors ability.

can't wait! hope the install is as easy as everyone seems to suggest.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Well, jschinito, I am finally beating you to a mod! Bought this last week and just finished installing it. Two miracles- 1) it worked without having to redo anything and, 2) I did not injure myself during the installation. Have only operated it to ensure it works properly so will have to hold off for a while to describe how it has completely changed my life, but am certainly impressed that even I was able to install it so easily. My wife returns from an overseas trip in a few days and she doesn't know anything about it. Hope she appreciates how thoughtful I was to upgrade her car like this!

1 - 20 of 163 Posts