SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have this yet? They mount on the back of the front seats and don't appear to be removable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
702 Posts
We use iPads in the car for the kids, so these look interesting. However at $640 per, I thought the price might be a mistake.

At that price, I'll stick with these (https://griffintechnology.com/us/cinemaseat-for-ipad-air) which have worked will for us. Usually available for less than $20 via Amazon.

·
Registered
157 Posts
At $600+ for 1 setup Ill go buy a new ipad air and a few of these adaptable velcro/elastic type mounts.
I understand Volvo doesnt want your ipad or tablet to become a flying liability in an accident but used correctly these $20-30 mounts work just as well.
The only upside to their mount is the fact it is hardwired and has 2 usb charge plugs. (Something I wish they would have included in the center consul)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow that is a considerable cost. It seems so ironic that with the level of technology built into the XC90, and at this price point, someone wouldn't have raised their hand and added more charge points.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
At $600+ for 1 setup Ill go buy a new ipad air and a few of these adaptable velcro/elastic type mounts.
I understand Volvo doesnt want your ipad or tablet to become a flying liability in an accident but used correctly these $20-30 mounts work just as well.
The only upside to their mount is the fact it is hardwired and has 2 usb charge plugs. (Something I wish they would have included in the center consul)
These $20 or $30 have never been crash-tested or put in a situation where a rolloever occurs...That is why they cost $20 or $30.

Each year, more than 12,500 children are injured by something loose in the car.

·
Registered
702 Posts
These $20 or $30 have never been crash-tested or put in a situation where a rolloever occurs...That is why they cost $20 or $30.
True, but good luck selling that at $640. Tell the people willing to part with an additional $1,280 for iPad holders that I have a bridge to sell them.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Wow that is a considerable cost. It seems so ironic that with the level of technology built into the XC90, and at this price point, someone wouldn't have raised their hand and added more charge points.

As I was shopping for my latest car, I found that to be an irony across the entire luxury segment. Consistently the prestige brands (not counting Tesla) had at most one 120V socket and 1-2 USB ports. By comparison, the latest Honda Pilot has at least 3 120V plus and up to 5 USB chargers, at least 3 of which carry the higher voltage necessary to adequately charge larger devices like tablets (as opposed to just phones). It's baffling how behind the times they are. Even the Pilot's more luxury counter-part the Acura MDX has far fewer charging options than the Pilot.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
True, but good luck selling that at $640. Tell the people willing to part with an additional $1,280 for iPad holders that I have a bridge to sell them.
It is not for everyone. People used to pay (and some still do) over $1,800 for rear sear entertainment systems; cost is about the same, if you factor in two iPads.

·
Registered
602 Posts
It is not for everyone. People used to pay (and some still do) over $1,800 for rear sear entertainment systems; cost is about the same, if you factor in two iPads.
Yes and I still shake my head at that.
Though I would have liked usb ports instead of the cig power adapters. Why they didn't keep the 2 USB in the center consol and put in the AUX is beyond me.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts

Each year, more than 12,500 children are injured by something loose in the car.
And think how many expensive Ipad are broken by flying children! Oh, wait...

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
The $20 tablet holder COULD have been crash tested for all I know. But no crash test costs $600+ for every holder sold. Volvo are gouging here, which in fairness is rare for them in regard to extras and accessories.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The best part is when Apple upgrades the iPad to a new size / shape / thickness / cable and then these $1200 holders become totally worthless.

Just crazy really

·
Registered
3 Posts
We have one on the passenger rear seat.
When you put your I-pad in the holder ,the fit is so tight you cant get it back out! It took us several minutes to get our I-Pad out of the holder and it was not easy so we quit using it.
Its not user friendly!!! I would not buy it again. We do use the charger option on it but thats a lot of money for an extra charger.

·
Registered
541 Posts
We have one on the passenger rear seat.
When you put your I-pad in the holder ,the fit is so tight you cant get it back out! It took us several minutes to get our I-Pad out of the holder and it was not easy so we quit using it.
Its not user friendly!!! I would not buy it again. We do use the charger option on it but thats a lot of money for an extra charger.
Can you post a picture? I'm interested to see what one of these things look like.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We installed two i-pad holders ( Europe ) ... and were very disappointed :
as Budbuzz mentionned : not userfriendly to use at all --> you have to slide the ipads sideways in the holder and click in the headrest fixers... if it does not charge , you still need to charge it with the usb cables from ipad to holder ...understandable from Volvo .see pictures +
it is clear Volvo has designed it for adults : installation is positioned too high enabling kids from 8 and 10 to watch the screens ...another waste of money in Europe , price including installation and VAT was € 655 in us $ € 743 .

·
Registered
91 Posts
As I was shopping for my latest car, I found that to be an irony across the entire luxury segment. Consistently the prestige brands (not counting Tesla) had at most one 120V socket and 1-2 USB ports. By comparison, the latest Honda Pilot has at least 3 120V plus and up to 5 USB chargers, at least 3 of which carry the higher voltage necessary to adequately charge larger devices like tablets (as opposed to just phones). It's baffling how behind the times they are. Even the Pilot's more luxury counter-part the Acura MDX has far fewer charging options than the Pilot.
I have a feeling Civitas that the XC90 once had more than one usb port, but the system was locking up when too many devices were connected. As the instrument panel is digital, this became a major issue as some have written about it going dark and restarting while driving. The designers were scratching their heads: if they kept more than one port and designated some for charging and one for plug and play, it would come off as an error in design. It also puts to light the reports of sensus restarting when multiple devices are connected via Bluetooth.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Thanks to A'der, here are some pics of his iPad holder...
(sorry, don't know why some of them posted upside down!)

1 - 20 of 107 Posts