SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

I noticed that the deadman in trunk is gone

1K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  mac 
#1 ·
I noticed that the deadman in trunck is gone

after driving constantly in advanced for 56000km it came to my attention that the rear has stopped making the sound we noticed back in 2003.

Remember I went back to the original SUM-sw after the 1st revision within a month (made a technical report about the sum-upgrade the next day after dl). Major dissapointment v2 was to me, softer ride, loose and even MORE sound. Never tried later versions, so can't give any comment (but I think I would've hated it also coz it was still softer as many mentioned).

See less See more
#3 ·
Re: I noticed that the deadman in trunck is gone (JARMO)

I never had any software revisions uploaded. Still on rev. 1, but the car feels awesome with the addition of sway bars and springs. Just as you mentioned, I have very, very little noise coming form the rear. I wish the car would have come this way....

Kevin

#4 ·
Re: I noticed that the deadman in trunck is gone (steamboatsig)

Quote, originally posted by steamboatsig »
How did you go back to the version 1? Did the service advisor give you any trouble? I would like to go back to version 1 also.

I was back then THE service advisor

Only trouble was that the local importer closed 1st my report ... so I made a complain directly to Sweden. Back then there was NO sw to get back the 1st SUM-sw.. so they had to connect my car directly to Sweden and download it manual into my car. Later there came that TNN in which this sw came available to use only in cars if they had it before.
You can only go back to v1 if the car came original with this SW.

#5 ·

Quote, originally posted by JARMO »

I was back then THE service advisor

You can only go back to v1 if the car came original with this SW.

Jarmo:

I know that Jim has said that it's possible to go back to earlier rev's but not easy. My car has a September '03 build date. What Rev would that give me? What can I tell my SM in order to get me back to my original revision? Even if it's 2, I don't like 4.

#7 ·

Both of you, there is NO TNN.
Car's that had Rev 1 were cars that were built before Aug. 2003, after that was Rev 2. That was on cars built until approx March 2004, After that was Rev 3 and 4 was about 4 months later.
YOU CANNOT PUT IN ANY REV THAT WAS NEVER IN YOUR CAR ORIGINALLY.
The process is tedious and has to be done by your service rep
Jarmo is probably the only R in the world left that has rev 1

#8 ·
Re: I noticed that the deadman in trunck is gone (JRL)

It is a normal SW download for 2004 car which came with Rev 1 and were updated at a later point but need to be reversed.
There must be a SW number somewhere.

It is a sort of one way situation. An update will always get you to the latest greatest SUM revision for your car. It's not that you can choose from a certain revision. The reversal or "downdate" will always bring it back to Rev 1.

Maybe Jarmo can find the SW number for it.

#9 ·

Quote, originally posted by JRL »
Both of you, there is NO TNN.
Car's that had Rev 1 were cars that were built before Aug. 2003, after that was Rev 2. That was on cars built until approx March 2004, After that was Rev 3 and 4 was about 4 months later.
YOU CANNOT PUT IN ANY REV THAT WAS NEVER IN YOUR CAR ORIGINALLY.
The process is tedious and has to be done by your service rep

I would be fine with Rev 2, which is what I should have according to your dates. Whatever I had before is better than I have now.

I know you've said it's a tedious process, but it is a process and not fairy dust so it can be done. I just need to know SW number or something as Johann mentioned, so that I can use to convince the SM that it can be done.

And no, it won't be at Hudson Valley Volvo either.

#11 ·

Same darn thing my servic rep said. "Once you have the NEW update there is no going back" I think he was full of sheite! So anyone that can help, PLEASE do. Calling the new asst. moderator....BEEP BEEP BEEP....R Salesman??????????

#12 ·
Re: I noticed that the deadman in trunck is gone (MASH)

I will repeat this, AS FAR AS I KNOW, THERE IS NO SPECIFIC SOFTWARE.
How it works is as follows: You have to have your service manager get in contact with the regional service rep.
He, in turn, has to contact Sweden
A specific code has to be written for YOUR VIN NUMBER, he will sownload it on his laptop and will enter it into your car to get the SUM back to what came with YOUR car.
Now this may have changed in the past year but when I did it (twice) this was the process that had to be followed.
Yes, it's been at least a year and a half and Volvo MAY have made this easier but what I posted WILL work.
I hope this is clear enough, if not, I can't help you anymore than this
Sometimes you may get resistence, you have to bitch and moan that you WANT WHAT CAME WITH YOUR CAR, NO MORE, NO LESS
JRL

#13 ·
Re: I noticed that the deadman in trunck is gone (MASH)

Quote, originally posted by MASH »
Same darn thing my servic rep said. "Once you have the NEW update there is no going back" I think he was full of sheite! So anyone that can help, PLEASE do. Calling the new asst. moderator....BEEP BEEP BEEP....R Salesman??????????

With the advent of VIDA (Volvo's vehicle communication software), software numbers pretty much ceased to exist.

Anytime you download software to any control module, VIDA automatically selects the latest software, and downloads it. To my knowledge, there is no way to input a specific software part number . . . I don't even know how to find a software part number anymore. I'll have to look and see how things work. Remember, I was a tech under VADIS, which was a different (but similar) communication program, so I'm not the "know-it-all" when it comes to VIDA.

Regardless, JRL's correct. If you want an older version, Volvo has to literally create that program for your specific VIN. So to get an older version, you will have to go through a process that will tick you off, tick your service advisor off, tick your service manager off, tick the Field Technical Supervisor off, etc.

Quite honestly, I think REV 4 is the best -- I would know, because I've driven them all. That being said, some of the differences between REV 2 and REV 4 can be altered somewhat by varying your tire pressures. I'd try fooling around with different tire pressure setups first and see if you can be happy.

#14 ·

Quote, originally posted by JARMO »
after driving constantly in advanced for 56000km it came to my attention that the rear has stopped making the sound we noticed back in 2003.

Lucky You!
My dead man is still alive and kicking
(just shy of the 20K mile mark)
Guess I'll have to pop a few more 'caps' in him.

#15 ·

Quote, originally posted by JRL »

Almost the only one... I still have kept it original since I recieved the car in March of '03.

I had one of the first R's available on from the West coast port. There has always been a slight clunk (dead small animal perhaps
) but not to bad as many have complained. Advanced is really stiff and impossible on a road surface less than perfect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.