SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
so who else is there?

Private Swedish investors led by Pehr Gyllenhammar and Hans Olsson?? Proud Swedish Volvo employees ensuring the companies future? A good long term move in terms of funding etc to be able to compete with larger corporations?

Seems it is the swedish investor route or the chinese. No one else seems to have the cash or the interest.....

Ford 'forced' to keep volvo?

S

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
And to think we might all welcome just that outcome...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Re: (rfkuehn)

Quote, originally posted by rfkuehn »
And to think we might all welcome just that outcome...

Kind of like two parents staying together who would have been divorced a long time ago if not for the children.

Here's a practical question; if Ford does keep Volvo then what do you think what happens? Obviously they are going to have to change the way they are doing things. But what do you think that might mean?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Re: (CaptainHarlock)

I think Volvo can stand on its own feet just fine, but Ford might be a around for a bit.
Short term they have common platform cars which helps both brands and keep costs down, Volvo has a solid brand and some exciting new premium cars, I am not sure how Ford is in europe only in the states, they sell a lot of trucks which is it's bread and butter.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Re: I new It..Chinese Too Small To take over Volvo (philisophe)

Well if I remember correctly Ford has to put Volvo up for sale so as to be prepared to receive Government bailout money. If GM and Chrysler survive then Ford will not need to rely on a handout loan and Volvo will stay within the Ford family. Going through the motions of selling Volvo is quite simply good business practice.

Modified by stev vanveit at 4:04 AM 4-23-2009

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Re: I new It..Chinese Too Small To take over Volvo (VolvoD)

Well I did my thing with the Ferrari rumor a while back. Woke up a few heads. Now look what's happening - Fiat is the new knight for Chrysler.

Looks like the CDN auto workers are about to settle a new deal over hourly pay. They are about $2.00 off from the $19.00 dollars placed on the table by Fiat.

Also BNN talking heads just said that Ford is targeting end of 2011 to break even. I almost spilled my coffee. I can see a return too profitability when all their current stock has been sold. Ford has reached bottom and we are now seeing a slight up swing. Good for Ford http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

In addition Fords image in the market is starting to shine nicely as consumers are looking to Fords stability and smart business since. They would rather buy a Ford then GM & Chrysler as they know Ford will be there for them down the road in 3 or 4 years. The mentality of why would I want to buy a car when a company is preceived as going bust is playing out nicely for Ford.

Ford needs to continue ramping up their message. Take advantage of the situation regardless of the fact that they just burnt through $3.7 billion.

·
Premium Member
12,052 Posts
Re: I new It..Chinese Too Small To take over Volvo (stev vanveit)

At one point in time (@ 2 yrs ago), I would have told you that the sale of Volvo was a "sure thing". Since then, I have moved my position gradually, and....since Ford has added new top mgmt to the Volvo brand over the last 6-8 months...I would say that the chances of Ford selling Volvo are probably slim and none...and Slim just left town on the bus.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Re: I new It..Chinese Too Small To take over Volvo (universityvolvoOSD)

Staying with Ford would be fine as far as I'm concerned. Maybe Bill Ford finally gets it after floating the idea of a sale, that buying high (6+ billion) and selling low (1+ billion) makes no sense unless the demise of the business is imminent and unavoidable. In fact, Bill keeps telling Larry King on CNN that Ford is nowhere near demise.

Modified by madvolvo at 6:39 PM 4-24-2009

·
Premium Member
1,946 Posts
Re: I new It..Chinese Too Small To take over Volvo (MagoonR)

Geely is said to have put in a bid for Saab today so that would take them out of the running for Volvo if they were ever in the running.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Changan already work with volvo so there is some familarity there already. They dont have a reputation for questionable behaviour in the past either. In terms of volume, capital etc Chery is probably a better bet especially given the current planned consolidation in the chinese marketplace. But,Changan arent tiny, they just arent the biggest. My gut feeling is that they are probably the best buygs to but volvo with volvo AB taking a 10% stake as they have previously outlined and proposed.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Re: (stev vanveit)

Quote, originally posted by stev vanveit »
Here's a good one... that I can see happening.

"Changan, the company that makes Ford and Mazda's for Ford in China buys SAAB at fire sale price - new SAAB hybrid for 2010."

Is this another rumor you made up?

The media has been fairly consistent in reporting that there are three bidders left for Saab: Geely, Fiat, and a German investment bank (see, for example, http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/...urope).

My read of Swedish politics is that a sale to a Chinese firm will not happen. This holds for both Saab and Volvo.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Re: (Munin)

No, no I wouldn't think of starting a rumor... chuckle chuckle.

However, it seems that various bidders are throwing their hats into the ring one day and then pulling out. It's becoming hard to believe what's what. So as you say no Chinese buyers and Fiat well I can't see it.

Here's a rumor for you VW is interested in SAAB because of Biogaz development in Sweden, Germany and through Europe. VW can develop quite quickly a SAAB Ecofuel car. In addition biogaz stations are starting to pop-up all over.

Maybe VW will be the new secret owner of SAAB?

Modified by stev vanveit at 11:39 AM 5-24-2009

1 - 20 of 35 Posts