SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
63,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At least the woman stayed and waited for my wife to get out of the store.....

·
Registered
216 Posts
yea at least someone waited. Still, a headache to deal with, and on cars this age the worry is the paint won't quiiiite match.

This happened to mine a few weeks back and, while not as bad, is still going to set me back a few hundred (when I have the few hundred to spend on something non-essential like paint). No note, no nothin'.

·
Registered
63,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This needs a new quarter panel and maybe a bumper
Rest of the R is 110%

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
OUCH! Insurance never covers the needed pound of flesh.

·
Registered
63,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sure they will.
Can't straighten it, so it's pretty cut and dry, plus she hit me and admitted it

·
Registered
808 Posts
Sorry to see that, at least black is an easy color to match.

·
Registered
63,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not as easy as you would think.
Black fades like any other color and in 12 years, it's a slightly different black than it used to be.
Shiny, yes, but in the bright sun it's starting to get that slight grey hue to it.
It will have to be blended into the door to be sure

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Why do people have so much trouble with simple parking spaces? (I assume that was the situation): pull straight in, back straight out. My daughter and my wife both had cars clipped like this in the last several years.
The thing that pisses me off with the technique used these days, they want to blend into *everything* and end up painting half the car for a small area. They can't 'scrub' the clear together, so they need a natural division for that.
Fortunately, the beloved brick shape limits how far they need to go here.

·
Registered
63,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
well, it could at least be an excuse for a full new paint job! That part of it won't be covered, i'd imagine, but at least partially subsidized.
It doesn't need it.
The only thing is I may strip the hood and paint it, (stone chips, not many), the rest of the R is near perfect
No dings, no scratches, nothing.
Garaged, extremely shiny and straight.

The thing that pisses me off with the technique used these days, they want to blend into *everything* and end up painting half the car for a small area. They can't 'scrub' the clear together, so they need a natural division for that.
I guess you don't understand auto painting.
Proper blending is the only way to assure a perfect match (or at least one that the eye can't see)
Paint fades, even black and if the quarter panel only was painted it would stand out like a sore thumb.
For a perfect example of this, see the left rear door on the Laser Blue R in the classifieds

·
Registered
63,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I got a Ford Edge Ltd. as a loaner
WHAT A NICE CUV!
It's been quite a while since I've driven anything new, what a difference a few years makes.
Positively makes a 2000 R feel like a piece of junk and my 07XC not far behind! :eek::facepalm:
Earily quiet with 20" wheels, handles well, comfy (although not as much so as a Volvo of course) and is just a really nice car/truck/whatever...

·
Registered
1998 V70 T5 with factory m56h; 18t, Green injectors, 50% e85
2,432 Posts
I'm always happy with my car until I drive something nice and new.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
It doesn't need it.
The only thing is I may strip the hood and paint it, (stone chips, not many), the rest of the R is near perfect
No dings, no scratches, nothing.
Garaged, extremely shiny and straight.

I guess you don't understand auto painting.
Proper blending is the only way to assure a perfect match (or at least one that the eye can't see)
Paint fades, even black and if the quarter panel only was painted it would stand out like a sore thumb.
For a perfect example of this, see the left rear door on the Laser Blue R in the classifieds
I understand auto painting. I guess you're okay with half your car having non-factory paint. And don't tell me how great aftermarket paint is, after years of telling people here how nothing is as good as factory paint.
Guess it's just a sucky situation. Good luck.

·
Registered
63,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My ...FORD...loaner :eek:
Can't believe how nice it drives and how much I would take it in a heartbeat
How it would be at 100K miles, who knows but new, it's super nice.

·
Registered
216 Posts
yea, it's a question of budget. Those START at $28k. For a guy like me with a family of four and an allergy to vans, I feel I'm doing ok with my Volvo. $5k to purchase a clean stage 0 V70R, then another $2k in the last year and a half in repairs, nothing half assed. Compared to $5k down for a new car and probably $4k a year in payments.

But there is no doubt a new car is generally better; a new "R Design" anything is likely to be faster than an old "R". You make a good point about longevity though. The 1999 Subaru I got out of at 155k was rusty, rattly and loud compared to the 1998 Volvo with 156k I got into. She was as trusty as she was rusty; however, the Volvo was nearly twice as expensive when new, and that echoes 14 years later.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
The Edge is going to be the base for a specialized police vehicle in the next year, isn't it? And it shares parts with the Taurus, right?

·
Registered
207 Posts
The Edge is going to be the base for a specialized police vehicle in the next year, isn't it? And it shares parts with the Taurus, right?
Actually, that would be the new Explorer, which shares parts with the Police Interceptor (which is a Taurus.)

Landru

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Ford has really stepped it up lately. I'm anxious to get behind the wheel of a new Ford Escape to see how they've done, considering the last generation was utter crap and around for WAY too long.

Every time I drive something else, it makes my Volvo feel HEAVY and old, even if the entire front end is brand new on mine. I think the electric steering in newer vehicles has a lot to do with this.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts