SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to "line flush" (let some of the old automatic trans fluid out) and I need a general idea of where this happens, when the trans connects to the radiator. Passenger side? Driver side ? Etc.. What do I need to remove? I will buy ramps. What size crescent wrench?

I should be able to take it from there. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
I'd advise against it. With simple drain-and-fill fluid changes, these transmissions last very long. If they do fail, it's often not fluid related either...Usually solenoid problems.

The fittings are proprietary quick connect lines that plug into the radiator. Remove the air intake tube you removed to get to the transmission dipstick, and you'll see the lines come off of the trans and into the radiator.

The green clips that hold the lines into the radiator will break, so don't touch them. No need to touch these lines unless they are leaking, otherwise you need to buy the $8 clips from Volvo. They're horrendously overpriced.

Instead, get a 24mm socket and extension (or crescent wrench), pop off the drain plug on the transmission, drain the 3-4qts that comes out, and refill it. Do this 2-3 times. You can do it 4 times for an almost complete exchange, but you may deem it a waste of money at that point. Once the fluid looks good to you on the dipstick, stop the fluid exchanges.

A simple drain and fill every 10k isn't a bad way to keep the fluid fresh. A gallon of trans fluid is $14 at Walmart last time I checked, maybe even $11, can't remember. Supertech Dexron/Mercon will work fine. Needs to meet GM Dexron III specs. Don't go fancy on the fluid, the transmission doesn't care.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Woweee, I am at a lost for words. The trans lines that go into the radiator are so somple to get out my 8year old "helper" did it on my 05 VR a few weeks ago. its as simple as push it back into radiator and press together the two green tabs and pull it out.

I will also give you a link to where you can follow DIY directions to flush yourself. Here is another usefull tip....Valvoline VV324 Maxlife trans fluid... $7 or Toyota type iv
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8767

I have used this guide for my 99 XC70, shown below, my 03 xc90, my 05 V70R and my buddies 01 S60

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
its as simple as push it back into radiator and press together the two green tabs and pull it out.
If you're lucky :D

All I had to do was TOUCH mine and they cracked. The heat must have not been good to the plastic over the years. For a beginner just starting to work on their XC, it may be advisable to avoid the lines altogether as a "just in case," so they aren't stranded waiting for an FCP order of clips to arrive while the car is down.

Regardless, the end result is the same no matter which method you use.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Or you buy a few clips before you begin. But either way works.

·
Registered
281 Posts
the 98s have metal fittings and metal clips which do not need to be replaced. a simple worm clamp around the fitting will give you peace of mind regarding the clip somehow coming loose.

i have done the "flush" method of changing my transmission fluid every 20-25k and have had no issue and my transmission shifts great. i have also used this method on my brother's 240 with no issues.
http://www.ipdusa.com/products/4808/107945-automatic-transmission-flush-hose-kit

you do not need to buy ipd's kit for this, you can buy your own hose for ~$5 at a local hardware store.

do whatever method you feel comfortable with, just giving my 2 cents.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts