SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
random question

has anybody on here ever "seafoamed" their car?

I've done it with plenty of cars Japanese, domestic & British LOL!! but never anything that was turbocharged I'd like to assume it wouldn't hurt the turbo but was interested to see what input will I get.

it works amazing on cleaning the carbon buildup on N/A cars I want to do it but don't wanted to see if there was anybody that has done it before!

thanks everybody

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I have used Sea Foam regularly on my 2009 C70 T5, both the 1oz per quart into the engine oil a couple of hundred before each oil change, and a full bottle into the gas tank before fill up a couple of times a year, and did the oil thing with my comparatively new to me S60 T6 prior to the only oil change I have done on it so far - no ill effects, have used it on most of my previous cars for many years and never heard that turbo/NA is a factor.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
I don't understand the Seafoam craze. There so many videos of people shoving it in their brake booster or other vacuum line and saying and claiming all that white smoke is carbon... in actually it's mostly just the oil in Seafoam being burned off, so yeah it's carbon (just not the carbon you were trying to burn off).

If you really need to clean the engine and remove deposits, stick with a product that has polyetheramine (Techron, Redline SI-1, Gumout Regane). Also, buy good gas, most of them already have these distillates and detergents in them.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I don't understand the Seafoam craze. There so many videos of people shoving it in their brake booster or other vacuum line and saying and claiming all that white smoke is carbon... in actually it's mostly just the oil in Seafoam being burned off, so yeah it's carbon (just not the carbon you were trying to burn off).

If you really need to clean the engine and remove deposits, stick with a product that has polyetheramine (Techron, Redline SI-1, Gumout Regane). Also, buy good gas, most of them already have these distillates and detergents in them.
Also I’ve heard that seafoam barely makes a dent in removing carbon. That ish is super sticky and super stubborn, as I’ve witnessed firsthand from having my valves cleaned on my old FSI GTI where seafoam was applied before attempting to scrape off the carbon barnacles. Seafoam barely softened the carbon which still required lots of manual scraping with actual tools. I also read that seafoam does bad things to the lubricity of oil or can contaminate bearings with dislodged gunk circulating in the oil which can lead to spun bearings, so I would not add it to oil. In fact, most recommendations tell you to change the oil after running seafoam through the intake manifold because any blowby containing seafoam or contaminants from the “cleaning” would risk damaging bearings and other metal on metal parts. Furthermore, because Seafoam was found to be so ineffective at cleaning carbon, most people in the VW community have switched over to valve cleanings with walnut shell sandblasting or something like that. Whether that has any applicability to the Volvo scene is beyond my scope of experience, but my takeaway from all this jibberjabber is Seafoam probably isn’t what you need.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Agree with the above two posts. The soft-media blast is really only approved way, and the dealerships are well-equipped to do it properly. The two downsides are that it's expensive and you can't do it in your driveway with an aerosol can in one hand and a beer can in the other.

·
Registered
504 Posts
google project farm....and/or sea foam vs techron...I like this guy and feel he does good, unbiased tests. Check him out, make your own decisions.

·
Registered
753 Posts
p.rico;7312555 If you really need to clean the engine and remove deposits said:
Sounds good, about to go to PepBoys and check out some of those products. Either that or Home Depot which now carries some and motor oil now..slick move by Home Depot..their car products section. That's an advantage as far as buying mulch, salt for the water softener and light bulbs and then car products all under the same roof. Walmart too. Driving from one place to another wastes gas and time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts