SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 XC70 and it seems to die without warning. I was driving along and the car just died completely. The only thing that seems to work is the dome light and the radio when I turn the key on. I also hear random clicking in the engine compartment. I check all the fuses and they all have power. But I find if I disconnect the battery for an hour or two and short out the batt terminals it will fire right up. I repeat nothing works including door locks. Any input would be great.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
How old is your battery?

·
Registered
897 Posts
I'm with Jim^^^^, check the battery with a carbon pile load tester and inspect your cables VERY well. Bad cables and a bad ground will give you fits.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Helps to post details like mileage and battery newness etc

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Battery is nearly new, cables are in great shape and when it is running the alternator is putting the required voltage. The car is a 2001 XC70 with 279,000 km. I have taken off the ground cables and cleaned the contact points. Same as the pos side. When it does die there is plenty of juice in the battery. I just have to leave the car for about an hour with the batt disconnected short the cables to reset and everything comes back to life.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts