SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. i just bought a 1997 850R wagon thinking it had a burnt valve. Now that the head is off piston #3 is chipped:mad:. Compression test showed 115-120 for pistons 1-2-4-5 but #3 was completely dead. Now should I buy another engine altogether I have a few options for $500-$800 or should I fix mine:confused:. The car has 118K miles and it is a white wagon. I live in the Portland area if anyone has a spare motor for less.
-
Thanks for your help.
-
Eddy

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

· Registered
1,004 Posts
I wonder if that motor had a valve contact it. Those compression numbers are real low. I'm not surprised due to the abuse that the R's get from the young. I'd try to get another motor from a wrecked car, but check the compression first. I just did a compression test on my car and my numbers were 178/175/179/175/175, and my car has 204,500 miles. The numbers should be 156 - 185.

Rebuilding a motor is a lot of work. Hope the rest of the car is nice. Post a few pics.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advise. I also had a 2000 V70R parts car that had a good block. I ended up doing new piston rings and rod bearings along with all new seals on the 2000 block with the 850R head. I just got the motor reassembled and installed. I will have pictures soon of the reassembly. I upgraded to blue injectors, 19T and performance down pipe. I am now looking into lowering it. Whats the lowest I can go without rubbing? I can do spacers if that helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.