SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title says it all, I have always felt the back was too high compared to the front but its getting more and more on my nerves lately. As you can see in the following pic, it would need to be slightly lowered:

I don't want to drop the hole car as our roads are a disaster, just would like to even it a bit with the front.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Is your car an AWD or FWD? If it's an AWD, get a set of rear R springs. That should level it out a bit while keeping your stock fronts.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Is your car an AWD or FWD? If it's an AWD, get a set of rear R springs. That should level it out a bit while keeping your stock fronts.
Sorry, thats the noobish me or maybe it was because I just woke up, still pissed after looking at that picture for hours last night and google-ing around.

The car is a 2001 2.4T FWD completely stock and in good shape.

Cutting the springs appeared to me as an option; being a 2001 compared to 2008 for my other car and now close to 270 000km on the dash and will keep it until it dies on me (about 170 000miles in US if Im not mistaken).

I know many of you must have had a ''mother of god'' stunned face but I do not mind the cutting for the reasons stated earlier...I need to lower it less then one inch to have a good visual balance but I do not want to do something stupid and dangerous, yet don't mind if it reduces the confort at the back a little bit. Im far from a hellaflush drop here...the wheelgap is horrible for some reason and I want to bring it at the level of the front...at a level of what a stock wheelgap should be....stop laughing I know many of you actually start from that point and lower it haha but that is not in my plans.

Maybe someone can put me on the best path here. Putting a concrete bloc in the trunk is not an option lol :p

·
Registered
877 Posts
Roads are a disaster here too and I have the sport kit with H&R springs with a coil cut in the rear of the H&R springs, lowering the car without the sport kit really isn't as terrible as it may seem especially with a set of eibach springs which dont lower as much as H&R or B&G. I have never scraped frame only thing I scrap is my front lip every once in a while and my 3in exhaust which i'll admit was hung too low by the exhaust shop that installed it. So if your fairly stock you will be fine.

Heres NJgreenbudds thread on installing his eibachs. http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?102718-Installing-Eibach-Springs-in-2002-S60-AWD-Rear-shock-removal-question-Pics-Inside

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did read that thread last night but his setup is too low for me. What bothers me is that the rear end actually looks to be higher that what it should be...Ive seen another s60 2.4t fwd in my area driven by an old lady and it does stand at about the same height as the front...For some reason, mine is sitting higher then it should be. Ive had it for 2 years now and its always been like that. Im starting to believe something may be wrong but it does ride perfectly...

Roads are a disaster here too and I have the sport kit with H&R springs with a coil cut in the rear of the H&R springs, lowering the car without the sport kit really isn't as terrible as it may seem especially with a set of eibach springs which dont lower as much as H&R or B&G. I have never scraped frame only thing I scrap is my front lip every once in a while and my 3in exhaust which i'll admit was hung too low by the exhaust shop that installed it. So if your fairly stock you will be fine.

Heres NJgreenbudds thread on installing his eibachs. http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?102718-Installing-Eibach-Springs-in-2002-S60-AWD-Rear-shock-removal-question-Pics-Inside

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
You could always add 4-6 50 pound bags of sand to the trunk.

It will be hard to find a set of rear springs (only) to get where you want to be; so you may have to buy a set of H&R's and only instal the rears.
I am not a big fan of cutting springs - but others have done it. It's the most cost effective thing to try.

BTW I am running with B&G sport springs all around and have a pretty level ride... They advertised 1.6" drop all around which is about right for me.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Since you dont want to be low how bout get a set of eibach springs and put in only the rear springs and then get the IPD springs adjusters to raise it so it would likely be level with the front, itd be interesting to see if this worked for levelness from the front. http://www.ipdusa.com/products/9427/120730-rear-spring-adjuster-kit

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
:thumbup:

DMac0013's suggestion is likely to be a good ''There I fixed it'' method. I just happened to have a 60 pounds sand bag and another half of the same sand bag (for the ice on the stairs). Placed them inside the spare tire compartment...tadaaaa!!! lowered the car enough so its even with the front height.

I know many will still say ''yuck wheelgap'' but what I wanted is it sitting even. I cannot lower it due to our legendary potholes. I am still looking around to see if that has been done and have been an issue on the suspensions...90lbs is not that much, I do not feel any difference in the driving. Ive actually read around that many RWD drivers use one or two sand bags to put weight on the wheels to help the traction under wet conditions so that should even help for the grip as long as not too much weight is put in the back wich will hurt the steering capability of the car.

The sand even could be usefull too lol...now if I ever need sand to get my car out of a ditch or to extinguish a small fire, I have it lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts