SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the A/C evaporator gave out on my 1994 855 turbo, it was time to get a new family hauler, and I found a 2000 XC nearby, and bought it. It's been treated well, has a lot fewer clunks and rattles, and the AC blows ice cold.<p>Thing is, it's no 855 turbo. I miss the sport mode downshifts, and the way that turbo could move that wagon out faster than you'd expect. It was surprisingly quick and pretty fun to drive, while the XC is just... adequate. I still have the 855, and as long as it's not hot out, I'd rather drive it. She clanks and rattles along, but when I ask her to go, she goes. The XC just feels like it's working a lot harder for notably less return.<p>So I've read the claims on the IPD chip, and the numbers look good for a simple (though not cheap) upgrade. But in the real world does it feel as responsive as the 855 did? My use is standard suburban dad stuff- 4 miles to school, a few highway miles to take the kids to grandma and grandpa- interstate trips are for weekend events and holidays only. <p>Can I expect a chipped V70XC to feel more like my 855... or even better?<p>

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: I liked my 855 more... IPD chip? (yuri1419)

Chipped XC vs a non chipped 1994 854?<br>Pretty close, different but yet you will get a rush.<br>More low end power with a chiiped LPT, fun for real world driving.<br>Not as much top end (over 70) but around town it will be quicker and more flexible and great off the line

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: I liked my 855 more... IPD chip? (JRL)

I figured you'd know, Jim. Thanks.<p>I don't push it over 70 that often... though the 855's ability to jump from 50 to 75 to pass on a 2 lane road has always given me a smile. But I really only have opportunity to do that on a couple of trips a year to visit family, so it's no great loss.<p>"Great off the line" is what I'm hoping for. <p>I know IPD's not the only game in town, but they're well respected. Are any of the others worth considering? I'd like to just drop it in and get overall decent results... I don't have the time or inclination to tweak a tune.

·
Registered
744 Posts
alternatively, you could upgrade your XC's TD04HL-13T turbo to a TD04HL-15G or a TD0HL-16T turbo and get an appropriate tune for it. <p>now THAT would make it feel more like your 855... or even better.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Yeah, I would get a 15G/16T turbo, T5 tune, and white injectors. It would be cheaper then getting the IPD chip too.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (greekone)

Cheaper even with shop time to install and tune? I have neither the tools nor knowledge to do this upgrade myself.<p>Pull an ECU, ship it and drop it in... yes.<p>Where does one source the turbos and injectors from? I didn't find them on a quick search at ipd or fcpgroton....<br>

·
Registered
1998 V70 T5 with factory m56h; 18t, Green injectors, 50% e85
2,436 Posts
Re: (yuri1419)

Turbo, injectors and appropriate stock tune will cost MUCH more than an IPD tune if you were to source them new. You can find used ones if you want to monitor the "for sale" sections of various Volvo boards, which I suspect is not where you are coming from.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts