SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This may help a few people with their Collar Sleeve/Angle Gear Issue as my intent, with the community's help, is to bring some valueable info into this thread. Obviously my question pertains to the the Collar Sleeve/Angle Gear. Shortened version below. The AWD on my XC90 2.5T is not working and I have yet to remove the angle gear to take out the collar sleeve, but I'm 99.99% sure that the sleeve is toast. Where my concern is I'm not sure how long the car has been without AWD, don't really use it in FL and I've only have the car for a few months. With that said I fear that there may be some damge to the input shaft of the angle gear. I will find out this weekend when I actually take the gear out. Now for the heart of the matter. My thoughts are:
A.) If the sleeve needs to replaced and the angle gear has no damage (it's not making any noise or leaking btw), then I'll replace the sleeve and carry on.

B.) Say there is damage to the angle gear, obviously one would want to replace it, but if any of you are like me and want a part that will last a long time, then what are your options. You can either replace the angle gear and collar sleeve with the same original equipment. Rebuild the angle gear and throw in a new collar sleeve. Or possibly use an angle gear/sleeve combo from another model. I'm thinking of using the angle gear/collar sleeve from the 06-07 R's or 06" and newer V8/3.2 units. My problem is I ahve yet to find concrete data in searches whether this will fit into the 5 spd Auto tranny that I have. This is where I would really sppreciate some feedback if some one knows.

I will provide links to reference and some part numbers in this post later today. Update: Pictures of Angle Gear Spline on Post #5

Shortened version:Is the Angle Gear/Collar Sleeve from the XC90 V8/3.2 or the 06-07 S60 R compatiable to the 5spd Auto found in the '05 XC90 2.5T? Update: Answer on Post #4

Will update thread as I gather the info I have and other contribute. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I can offer a little help.

The 3.2 and V8 have the TF80 (6-speed) transmission not the AW50-55 on your engine.

I've never scrutinized the angle gears from a TF80 and AW50 side by side but in being under literally hundreds of these cars, I would they aren't the same. I want to say the angle gear attached to the TF80 has different housing. Where it bolts to the transmission it has a distinct elongated flange that the angle gear on the AW50 lack.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know the tranny's are different and therfore have different splines on the output side of the tranny to go to the collar sleeve. I have read (from adykes) that the angle gear from the XC90 V8's where just modified to accept the number of teeth the collar sleeve had from the TF-80SC. he did also mention that if you use the D5 XC70 collar gear it would mate the two, but I'm not sure how true that is. Now what about the 06-07 R GT's? I know they have the TF-80, but what about that angle gear as it should be the smaller 1000nm version as opposed to the 1500nm found in the XC90 V8. If that doesn't work I'm assuming it's because there is no such collar sleeve that has the correct amount of teeth for the TF-80 output shaft on one side and the other side is for the modified angel gear, correct?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UPDATE: After some digging I've come to find out that the output shaft diameter of the TF-80SC (6 speed tranny) does in fact have a different numbers of splines and on top of that it's slightly larger in diameter. The angle gears on the 06-07 S60 R's were modified to accept the new diameter and spline count. So in order for one to use that angle on the Asin Warner 5 spd auto like mine, you would need to get a custom part made. The tranny side would have to stay the same and the angle gear side would have to have more splines to mate to the new angle gear. Obviously that is little more diffcult to obtain especially if there's a short order of them.

So what I did was I purchased the same collar sleeve as the original (part #9495034) and went at it. I got the angle gear out and looked at the splines on the input shaft of the angle gear and they didn't look that bad actually. I took the new part and test fitted it with the angel gear. the teeth seems to have mated fairly well, there was a little bit of movement, but really not much. I took the oldcollar sleeve out and it was stripped smooth as I suspected. Put the new collar sleeve in and then the angle gear and finish the rest up. I will post some pics of the old sleeve, new sleeve, angle gear spline and new sleeve fitted on the angle gear spline later today. Everything seemed to go in fine, had a little trouble with the ball joint but I got it. Once I had everything buttoned up I spun the passneger side wheel and the driveshaft moved along with it, so I had good feelings.

Fast Forward to today: I've been driving the car around for the past fews days trying to see how the repair went. Well from day one as soon as I give it more than 1/4 throttle in first I get what sounds like grinding from the front like right near the gas pedal which is pretty much the tranny and angle gear are. When that happens it doesn't really accelerate too well almost like the traction control is kicking in even though the light doesn't blink. If I back of the throttle it's ok and once it shifts to second I can go up to around 1/2 throttle before it does the same thing. Doesn't happen on any other gear. So I'm wondering what it could be I have tossed around the idea that maybe the sleeve is slipping over the angle gear spline, but I when I test fitted it seemed to fit pretty good. I'm not saying it fit perfect b/c I know the design is ill-fitting fromt eh factory, but I don't think there's enough room to slip on it at least not for another 50k miles. I'm sure when i post pics I can get some feedback, but otehr than that the only things I thought it could be are, one of the axles (but that would be consistant in all gears), something in the tranny such as the thrust bearing (but again I would think it would do it in all gears as the diff is moving in every gear), the angle gear (same thing in all gears), the haldex could be pulsating on and off (didn't dcome up with any codes). So I can't really seem to find a more logical answer, other than maybe the sleeve is spinnign over the angle gear shaft or the haldex is malfunctioning. I aslo found out that I need an alternator so what I'm going to do is when I swap out the alternator, I'm going to put the whole car on stands and put it in first gear and see if the AWD is working. If it is then I'll poke around and see if I can find the noise, I just hope that it doesn't need the full weight of that car in order to make the noise. Any inout is greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FV-QR

Finally got the pics hosted, here they are. Sorry about the pic trying to show the fitment of the sleeve on the gear. I thought it may have came out better, but it was hard to see on the camera LCD screen.

I don't know about you guys, but I don't think the teeth are worn down that bad.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE: Been a mess dealing with the alternator, still working on it and waiting for a new part to come ine. Anyway back to the AWD. I put her up on stands, put it 1st gear and all four tires were spinning so the AWD is working. I had my dad go through the gears while I took a look and everything seemed to be ok. I didn't hear the same noise that I heard when it's on the road. Nothing had excess vibrations or anything. The only thing that I did notice was when downshifting, the driveshaft would vibrate just a bit where it connects to the Haldex. It kind of resembled the movement when you have a drag prep car and you can see the rear end jump a bit when the car shifts, but far less drastic and that noise was mroe of a small clunk as oppose to a grinding. The only thing I can go off of right now is whatever the nosie is, it must be present with the weight of the car. I'm going to see if maybe I can trip it up on a dirt road or something. It's either that or it's something suspension related. I will let you guys know what happens.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts