SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I just traded my wife's Sentra for a S40. I think her CVT was going out, and didn't want to mess with it, and wanted to trade before it lost value as a result. I absolutely love it. The build quality is awesome. Things close tightly, as if they were cut out of the same piece of stone, no gaps like I'm used to in lower level vehicles. I'm excited to do a few minor modifications to it for her comfort and such. I'm already getting some tint and front Weathertech rain guards. Not sure where to mount her TomTom yet. Might do it on that screen in the center of the dash unless anyone has any bright ideas. It is just a black stock 2.4i, but am very glad to have it for her daily driver.

My own car is a 3.5L Accord Coupe, with a lot of modifications made to it. It even has a Facebook page with 500+ likes :p http://facebook.com/J35Z2

While the S40 will be her car, I do plan on making it nicer and doing maintenance, so that's why I joined. I'll be asking questions when needed, and doing searches before I ask :D

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Welcome, I hope you find this site as helpful as I have.:beer:

·
Super Moderator
15,145 Posts
and doing searches before I ask :D
Thank you! And welcome to the SwedeSpeed family!

Of course, we need to see some pictures of the car; stock or modded, we love pictures here.

I put my Garmin on the windshield in the center of the dash (it seemed like the most logical spot, as that's where the actual Volvo GPS goes too)

wires are hidden under the dash

If you put it by the A-pillar, be sure to put it closer to the steering column, because there's an airbag in the A-pillar that could send the GPS flying upon deployment.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't think about mounting it on the window. Mine has a thing that you can stick do the dash and suction it on there. On the windshield MIGHT be too far to reach, but I'll check that out. I'll post pictures this weekend after I get the tint. The weathertechs seem like they'll be another week to arrive.

I was tempted to put the same coilovers I have in my primary car, the BC Racing, haha, and get that awesome scrape plate thing for the bottom of the car. I resisted that temptation as this will be my wife's ride.

·
Super Moderator
15,145 Posts
I have one of those things for the dash too, but because of the foamy squish and texture of the dash, I had a hard time getting it to stick.

For easier access, a few people have stuck their GPS's on the windshield above the driver side air vent, just far enough away from the A-pillar.

For me personally, I put the GPS in the center so that my passengers can punch in info while I'm driving. Rarely do I need the GPS when I'm driving solo.

·
Super Moderator
15,145 Posts
Looks like my power is out, the cigarette lighters are not providing juice to my stuff...
Most likely just a blown fuse, the 12 volt outlets go pretty easily. Check the owners manual for what type of fuse you need, it should be the fuse box under the glove box.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
yup, there are spares available.
post pix!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I still haven't fixed the fuse for the accessory/lighter plug, but I ordered some Amsoil. Half and half 0w30 Signature and the 5w30 European. Already have plenty of the ATF handy.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Your S40 is Sexy, where did you get the neon?? what year??

Thank you! And welcome to the SwedeSpeed family!

Of course, we need to see some pictures of the car; stock or modded, we love pictures here.

I put my Garmin on the windshield in the center of the dash (it seemed like the most logical spot, as that's where the actual Volvo GPS goes too)

wires are hidden under the dash

If you put it by the A-pillar, be sure to put it closer to the steering column, because there's an airbag in the A-pillar that could send the GPS flying upon deployment.

·
Super Moderator
15,145 Posts
Thanks! It's still a work in progress.

That's not neon, I just replaced the footwell lights 5 cluster LED bulbs; $5 off Amazon. I like it, because the footwells glow when I open the door, but otherwise they're off when I'm driving.

And it's a 2004.5

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I suspect my car has the option of the HID, it has most of the options it seems. Any way I can confirm this? And pics as requested:

·
Super Moderator
15,145 Posts
Looks like you have halogens. Xenons have bluer projectors. Just pop out the bulb and see what you have, that's the easiest way to tell.

Nice looking S40!

·
Super Moderator
15,145 Posts
Thanks. I'll order some Morimotos for.. H11? I'll look it up.
Double check to make sure you don't have xenons first. The angle of that picture may just be messing with me.

I just don't want to lead you down the wrong path. :) Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
7,242 Posts
Could you get xenons in a 2.4i as an option?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm pretty sure they're halogen because of the color being so orange, and yes it was an option, but the car has nearly every other option on it. Good thing an add-on set is so cheap.

·
Super Moderator
15,145 Posts
Sound like Halogen then, it's easy to check.

And yes, HID conversion kits are cheap now. Having HIDs back in 2004 was pricey though :p

1 - 20 of 25 Posts