SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just recently graduated college and decided to purchase my first car as an adult, it was a 2015.5 Volvo s60 T6 Plantinum.

The car has been great in every Respect! However, I am still getting used to the whole technology side of modern cars.

As far as I understand, the oil level reader is an electronic device that will indicate something along the lines of :
Full = "Ok"
When car is either not parked on even surface or engine is not off for more than 5 minutes ="Not Available"

What happens if you get a "Low" only without any indication on the e dip stick where the oil low level is?

https://imgur.com/a/BOyxMch

I added about 3/4 of a quart of Castrol and let the engine run a bit, and the sensor then read that the oil level was "ok" with the white bars in the middle fill in.

https://imgur.com/a/i0lzeO

What is going on? According to my dealership they changed the oil at 56.7k miles. It is now at 59.5kmiles. how could I burn through that much oil in such a small amount of time? I drive this thing rather sensibly, so I'm worried something is up with the engine. Any ideas?

Would be greatly appreciated if you could please let me know.

I am happy to be finally a proud Volvo owner, so I want to take as best care of this car as possible!

·
Registered
13,452 Posts
https://forums.swedespeed.com/showt...Consumption-Saga-is-Over-(2015-5-V60-Drive-E)

Welcome to swedespeed and congrats on the new to you S60!

Regarding oil burning, there is a known issue on certain '15.5 Drive E motors better described in the thread I've attached above. If you bought it from a Volvo dealer I would take your car back to them immediately and begin the process of diagnosing this oil consumption issue. According to Volvo and most other manufacturers burning 3/4 of a quart in 2,800 miles is within normal tolerances but if your car has this widely reported oil burning issue then it will only get worse. Best to get this documented with Volvo quickly because if your car needs the recommended ring replacement it will be an expensive repair.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
https://forums.swedespeed.com/showt...Consumption-Saga-is-Over-(2015-5-V60-Drive-E)

Welcome to swedespeed and congrats on the new to you S60!

Regarding oil burning, there is a known issue on certain '15.5 Drive E motors better described in the thread I've attached above. If you bought it from a Volvo dealer I would take your car back to them immediately and begin the process of diagnosing this oil consumption issue. According to Volvo and most other manufacturers burning 3/4 of a quart in 2,800 miles is within normal tolerances but if your car has this widely reported oil burning issue then it will only get worse. Best to get this documented with Volvo quickly because if your car needs the recommended ring replacement it will be an expensive repair.

Thank you!

I contacted a Volvo dealership (I bought my car at an Acura dealership, out of warranty of course) and they said 1 quart per 2-3k miles is also normal. However, I am a bit worried as to why that is "normal." Engines should not really be burning oil that much unless something isn't sealing right, correct?

I think I'll do an oil consumption test myself and then see how much it's actually burning at intervals. Can anyone else here tell me if they've experienced any sort of similar issues?

PS:

No oil leaks are visible, underside of car is dry, also no oil leaking in engine bay or from valve cover gasket.

Thank you!

·
Registered
13,452 Posts
You won't see any leaks - the car is burning the oil, but not to the extent that you would see a blue trail of smoke behind you as you drive. Some cars do burn a little oil and it's normal for that particular engine. For the Drive E the oil consumption issues are pretty well documented if you search the forums here.

The problem is most likely with the rings - oil is getting past the rings and is being burned through combustion. Dealership may also recommend a PCV replacement as that sometimes causes oil consumption issues but unfortunately most times it's the rings or if it's worse than that the piston walls are scored which would pretty much necessitate a new motor. But it's much too early to worry about that - just start watching oil consumption carefully.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You won't see any leaks - the car is burning the oil, but not to the extent that you would see a blue trail of smoke behind you as you drive. Some cars do burn a little oil and it's normal for that particular engine. For the Drive E the oil consumption issues are pretty well documented if you search the forums here's
The problem is most likely with the rings - oil is getting past the rings and is being burned through combustion. Dealership may also recommend a PCV replacement as that sometimes causes oil consumption issues but unfortunately most times it's the rings or if it's worse than that the piston walls are scored which would pretty much necessitate a new motor. But it's much too early to worry about that - just start watching oil consumption carefully.
Thanks Wayne, that helped put my mind at ease. I'll start checking the oil every few thousand miles to see where it is and I'll do a couple of fun oil changes every 5000 miles to see how much is being lost.

Hopefully this is completely within the normal operating range of the engine, or that Volvo will offer some sort of service bulletin for this.

I will update this thread when I have done so, and hopefully come back with good results.

I could do a pcv valve change myself..think that wouldn't hurt!

·
Registered
13,452 Posts
Typically a plugged PCV will be accompanied by a whistling sound. If your car doesn't exhibit this then the PCV is probably fine. That said, it is much easier to change on the newer motors than on the older ones.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
There's already a couple bulletins on it.

Does the place you bought it from offer any sort of warranty or option to get out of the car?

Given the potential that it needs rings or an engine and Goodwill repairs are case by case, it might be best in your case to get out of the car if you can. I assume that's not an option. PM me your VIN and I can see if your PCV was the old design that may be the culprit.

·
Registered
13,452 Posts
I was going to suggest that too. Sometimes they give you 90 days but it may be a little tricky to prove that you have an issue as consumption is still within the "acceptable" range. Maybe just put them on notice.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
He sent me his VIN and I'm posting my reply here as well as via PM so that future searchers can hopefully find it and compare their serial numbers.

Well both bulletins apply to your engine, which means it has the outdated breather box and the pistons that had problems.

So the first step would be TJ30087, which says that if there are no external leaks and the engine serial number is before 001171576 (yours is 001131545), the ECM software should be updated and the breather box replaced with part number 31430923. Your ECM software is up to date so all you'll need is a breather box. I would also change the oil at the same time so you have a known good starting point to monitor consumption. Be sure to use the correct oil.

If consumption continues, TJ31216 should be followed, which says the pistons and rings should be replaced with updated ones. Engines from 1501327 have the updated rings from the factory.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
He sent me his VIN and I'm posting my reply here as well as via PM so that future searchers can hopefully find it and compare their serial numbers.

Well both bulletins apply to your engine, which means it has the outdated breather box and the pistons that had problems.

So the first step would be TJ30087, which says that if there are no external leaks and the engine serial number is before 001171576 (yours is 001131545), the ECM software should be updated and the breather box replaced with part number 31430923. Your ECM software is up to date so all you'll need is a breather box. I would also change the oil at the same time so you have a known good starting point to monitor consumption. Be sure to use the correct oil.

If consumption continues, TJ31216 should be followed, which says the pistons and rings should be replaced with updated ones. Engines from 1501327 have the updated rings from the factory.
Thanks a lot for doing that research into it. I will go ahead and try to find the part and order and install it either myself or a trusty mechanic.

Just out of curiosity, if I bought an extended warranty (power train) from a Volvo dealership and it turns out I needed the Piston and heads replaced, would they honor that work and parts? I think aftermarket warranties are all insurance based..

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update:

I have contacted Volvo Cars North America and opened a case with them.

I have set up an appointment with a Volvo dealership and explained my situation, hopefully this is something small and cheap but if it ends up being the rings then I will be interested to see how this turns out.

Needless to say I was pretty worried when I discovered this. I read through all of Meade18's posts and it seems his situation was similar but far worse. Luckily Volvo took care of the situation.

Hopefully if it comes down to that, I have a similar experience...the car is only sitting at 59.7k miles so maybe that will help that decision.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
From what I've seen with goodwill repairs, it doesn't help your case being you are not the original owner and just purchased it from a non-Volvo dealership.

They should recommend the breather box and oil change so they can then start a consumption test. Chances are you'll need to pay for that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
From what I've seen with goodwill repairs, it doesn't help your case being you are not the original owner and just purchased it from a non-Volvo dealership.

They should recommend the breather box and oil change so they can then start a consumption test. Chances are you'll need to pay for that.
I am certainly expecting to pay for the breather box and oil change. Unfortunately, that alone will probably end up costing me somewhere around $600-700 together. According to the CarFax report, this vehicle has not missed any maintenance intervals and has been serviced at a Volvo dealership every 10,000 miles.
Similarly, it looks as if the spark plugs were replaced at 47k miles. I'm not sure as to why because the service interval for spark plugs should have been around 60-70k miles.

Regardless, even if the previous owner knew about this issue, it was not taken care of under the warranty and now it seems as if I'm stuck with this issue. I'm not sure what would be my best option if worst came to worst... I paid around $15,000 for this car and selling it immediately after purchasing seems like a terrible decision...these T6 models are seldom found and definitely not at that price. If I needed a new engine, I do not think I could justify spending that kind of money, because I simply do not have it. What would you do?

I should know more next week and keep you updated, thank you for the help so far.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
The breather box part is around $190 (prices can vary from dealer to dealer). Labor is only a half hour but they might charge an hour.

The breather box plus oil change should be under $600.

The plugs were done as part of a recall.

Your services were done a bit weird. The 10k was done 12/29/15 at 10021 miles. Then another 10k was claimed 6/9/16 at 10628 miles. Then the 20k on 9/29/16 at 21022 miles.

Perhaps it changed owners after the first 10k and the second owner didn't know the 10k was done. The second 10k was done at the same dealer, so the advisor obviously didn't check the service history and neither did the technician.

No free 30k was done because 3 services were already claimed.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?partner=DLR_3&vin=YV149MFK9F2353173

According to this, the second owner did not pick up the vehicle until past 20k miles. It is indeed odd that 2 services would have gone back to back in a 400 mile timespan with the same owner. Are there any notes associated with the servicing?

https://www.volvooempartsdirect.com/oem-parts/volvo-oil-trap-32242753?c=cT0zMTQzMDkyMw==

Similarly, would a volvo dealership accept me bringing my own part? It seems I can get this part for a discount, and if we are looking at an hour labor (~125/hr) plus $150-$190 for this part, then this repair should be somewhere around $300 correct?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Carfax is almost worthless.

If you look closely, it has it being sold under owner 1 on 1/13/16 with a SC vehicle purchase reported 1/29/16.

So it looks like you are the 4th owner.

[Edit: found the in service date to be 11/2/15. Strange the in service date is more than 2 months before the first sale according to Carfax. Not really sure what's going on here]

The dealer should be okay bringing your own parts but it's up to them. Or see if they can match it.

And yes, if you get the part for $150 and labor is $125 an hour then your cost should be $275 (or less if they charge .5). Plus the oil change.

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
I am certainly expecting to pay for the breather box and oil change. Unfortunately, that alone will probably end up costing me somewhere around $600-700 together. According to the CarFax report, this vehicle has not missed any maintenance intervals and has been serviced at a Volvo dealership every 10,000 miles.
Similarly, it looks as if the spark plugs were replaced at 47k miles. I'm not sure as to why because the service interval for spark plugs should have been around 60-70k miles.

Regardless, even if the previous owner knew about this issue, it was not taken care of under the warranty and now it seems as if I'm stuck with this issue. I'm not sure what would be my best option if worst came to worst... I paid around $15,000 for this car and selling it immediately after purchasing seems like a terrible decision...these T6 models are seldom found and definitely not at that price. If I needed a new engine, I do not think I could justify spending that kind of money, because I simply do not have it. What would you do?

I should know more next week and keep you updated, thank you for the help so far.
The $15,000 price tag might have been a red flag. Seems a bit on the cheaper end of the spectrum for a for a 2015.5 T6 FWD Platinum with 59,000 miles.

You are now in a pickle:

1. If dealer that sold you has a 30 day warranty or what not on used cars, it might be worth returning car. A new Engine isn't cheap.

2. If no warranty, I'm not sure this would fall under an "unsafe car" so not sure what else would apply. As this isn't a life threatening mechanical issue.

3. Buy an extended warranty might have been the best bet, if one was available through Volvo (Fidelity). And then a few thousand miles down the road feign ignorance that the issue arose.

Now that Volvo is on notice, you can't feign ignorance. So let's hope they good will this repair.

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
The breather box part is around $190 (prices can vary from dealer to dealer). Labor is only a half hour but they might charge an hour.

The breather box plus oil change should be under $600.

The plugs were done as part of a recall.

Your services were done a bit weird. The 10k was done 12/29/15 at 10021 miles. Then another 10k was claimed 6/9/16 at 10628 miles. Then the 20k on 9/29/16 at 21022 miles.

Perhaps it changed owners after the first 10k and the second owner didn't know the 10k was done. The second 10k was done at the same dealer, so the advisor obviously didn't check the service history and neither did the technician.

No free 30k was done because 3 services were already claimed.
Explanation is far more simple.

Car Manufacturered on 11/19/14

It sat for sale for 1 year (Services are 10,000 miles or 1 year). So on 12/30/15 the 10,000 mile service was performed by Gerald Jones Volvo. Vehicle got sold on 1/29/16 to the first owner with 291 miles on Odemeter.

First owner, probably never knowing the car sat for 1 yr and had 10K service already performed, went ahead and drove like nothing was wrong. So when he did hit the 10K on 6/9/16, Gerald Volvo didn't pay attention and performed a second 10K.

Where as honestly, Gerald should have simply serviced at 10K, and listed "serviced", without consuming one of the free services in the 10, 20, and 30K cycle.

So Gerald screwed up here....

Which brings us to the 20K done on 10/3/16 at 21,022 miles.

Owner number 2, probably being told no free services remained, kept driving without a care in the world... and 17,000 miles later at 38,407 did an oil change.

Which is BIG PROBLEM #2....While the engine clearly didn't seize, I can't imagine driving 17,000 miles without filling the oil didn't do some major harm

Owner number 2 then waits another 10K and does a change at Tom Wood Jaguar (Volvo) at 48,780 on 4/11/18.

Maybe this is when Owner #2 realized the car had troubles and offloaded it ASAP. Because sometime before 57,091 miles the car was traded in to dealer and Sold again.

That 17,000 mile gap is REALLY going to hurt owner's chances of getting good will. At least my 2 cents.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
I don't know why you always have to do this. Things were going just fine. I already posted the service history. You even quoted the exact post. I'll stick with the warranty claims. You can stick with Carfax, which I've seen wrong plenty of tines.

Furthermore, the clock doesn't start for the services until the car is sold. So it can did for a year and then be sold and the 1 year timeframe to claim the first service starts then. I'll double check the in service date later.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts