SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
K, so about 2 years ago, I start to hear this noise, it was like a (whomp whomp) when i'd drive real slow, which would get louder as I got up to highway speeds... One day, I was making a U-turn, and BOOM!!! I heard this nutty noise, and I lost all control of the gears, and was spilling sh!t all over the road.. called a tow truck, got it to the dealer (at this point was OUT of warrenty). They said that it was an "Angle Gear" that went bad, and needed to reaplace a whole bunch of stuff. It was around 70k miles, and I argued that this was bull ish, and they need to do something for me, cause I wasn't about to pay $3k+, at 70k miles for something like this...

I wound up only paying labor, which was $600, but it ran like new..

Recently, that same (whomp whomp) noise has been coming back, and now its pretty strong. At this point, is it too late to try to save this one? I would like to just check for fluids or whatever myself, and not have to take it to the dealer if I could, or even better have my mechanic do it.

Is there any hope in saving this f-in angle gear, cause i'm sure I can't talk them into buying the parts again!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: I hear this noise, i think its the angle gear (AGAIN) please help... (Dj Schmidty)

Reading on I think i'd also like to do some maintenance and just do all fluids again (Car is at 96k now) i'm hoping someone will tell me that its just low on fluid, and just needs to be filled/changed, but is this something that my mechanic can do, or should I bring it to a dealer?

·
Registered
2005 V70R, Midnight Blue, M66
2,124 Posts
Re: I hear this noise, i think its the angle gear (AGAIN) please help... (Dj Schmidty)

Are you sure they said the first case was an angle gear failure? The typical failure of these is to lose rear wheel drive, not nearly as violent a failure as you describe. Certainly it could fail in the manner you describe, gears would have to jam, breaking the case, spilling fluid etc. It also is not related to turning, the angle gear does not know if the car is turning.

There is not much you can do proactively if you suspect a pending angle gear failure. Checking the fluid as you suggested is important, but unless you have seen some leaking, I doubt that it is too low, assuming it was full 25K miles ago.

The noise you describe on turning sounds more like a CV joint, or perhaps a wheel bearing. I'm hoping that is the case, much cheaper than an angle gear!

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Re: I hear this noise, i think its the angle gear (rogersampson)

Quote, originally posted by rogersampson »
It also is not related to turning, the angle gear does not know if the car is turning.

I think a handfull of R owners have killed their collar gear when making a sharp turn followed by hard accelleration, especially when the road surface is slick. Not saying this would result with any further noise or loss of gears, but a sharp turn does make a difference.

Personally I don't recall anyone losing there AWD at the drag strip yet, but maybe I missed something.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: I hear this noise, i think its the angle gear (FEO)

Thanx man...

Do yo uthink that changing all the fluids may get rid of the noise, and save my drivetrain? it was last changed, around 20k miles ago...

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Re: I hear this noise, i think its the angle gear (Dj Schmidty)

Try to get a hold of those more experienced than me (OceanS60R?)

I am just a computer nerd and know nothing about cars http://********************/smile/emcocktl.gif

·
Registered
107 Posts
Re: I hear this noise, i think its the angle gear (I Roll)

Quote, originally posted by I Roll »

I think a handfull of R owners have killed their collar gear when making a sharp turn followed by hard accelleration, especially when the road surface is slick. Not saying this would result with any further noise or loss of gears, but a sharp turn does make a difference.

I haven't been around in a while, but unfortunately this exact situation happened to me coming home from work Friday. It was raining and I made a left turn from a stop, accelerating hard to merge into traffic. About half way through the turn I hear a bang and feel a big thump. My first thought was that I hit a pothole, but I didn't remember seeing one. Shifting into second I started getting some wheelspin, and put two and two together. I haven't brought it in to the shop yet, so I don't know the extent of the damage. I can say this though, I really prefer the car in AWD mode.

Going through the recent threads, you guys have made impressive efforts to solve this problem. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif http://********************/smile/emthup.gif Keep up the good work. I'll be happy to contribute to the cause.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Re: I hear this noise, i think its the angle gear (OFDM)

New sleeve installed, $579. Interesting that during the FWD only period I noticed my average gas mileage went up about 2 mpg.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts