SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As many of you know, I have had many issues with the car, whether it be issues with the software, mostly things that other people have complained about, or leaking issues in the rear of the car. We've had the car for 2-3 months and it's been in the shop for several weeks in total.

After being in service for a week and a half, the leak was proclaimed 'fixed'. They had a Volvo field tech come out specifically to look at my car (he flew in for all I know), and he found that during the manufacturing/assembly process the sunroof drain was installed incorrectly so that it was pinched, making it overflow and the leak possible. I was shown pictures of this, and even to the untrained eye it appeared that they had solved the problem. After completely replacing the headliner my car was given back.

After this occurred, I called Volvo and they agreed to extend my 4 year warranty to 7. Excellent. Fast forward to today. We had heavy rains last night, and the car was left out in the driveway. You'll likely recognize the picture below, as I had posted a very similar one a month ago when the first leak occurred. Oh and when I opened the rear driver side door, a deluge of water spilled out and got all over my boots, much like it had when the first leak occurred. I know that a few of you have gone through the process of selling your car back to Volvo, if anyone could chime in and/or PM me I would appreciate it, as I am going to begin this process. Oh, and my brakes are now screeching at 3,000 miles. Man I love this car.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have seen a few people get upset at other users on this forum that post mainly negative things, and I am one of those people that posts mainly negative things. All I can say is, trust me, you have no room to bash someone for predominately coming off as negative on this forum until you yourself have been there and done that.

I spent countless hours from the very beginning of the pre-order process, being very very patient with Volvo, a company that CLEARLY did not have ANYTHING figured out from the beginning. And I am VERY patient, up to a point. So I gave them the benefit of the doubt for so long. But after all of those hours, the delay, etc, the car finally got to us. And now this happens. It's almost perfect.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have seen a few people get upset at other users on this forum that post mainly negative things, and I am one of those people that posts mainly negative things. All I can say is, trust me, you have no room to bash someone for predominately coming off as negative on this forum until you yourself have been there and done that.

I spent countless hours from the very beginning of the pre-order process, being very very patient with Volvo, a company that CLEARLY did not have ANYTHING figured out from the beginning. And I am VERY patient, up to a point. So I gave them the benefit of the doubt for so long. But after all of those hours, the delay, etc, the car finally got to us. And now this happens. It's almost perfect.
Wow
I would look into your states lemon law. You may be able to force them to replace your car.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sorry to hear about your issues. In regards to the brakes it was happening to me too and they replaced the front rotors due to a bulletin that's out about it. They replaced the rotors at the same time they did the software update

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry to hear about your issues. In regards to the brakes it was happening to me too and they replaced the front rotors due to a bulletin that's out about it. They replaced the rotors at the same time they did the software update

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Yea, you might be scratching your head trying to find something on this car that does not have a bulletin. Wouldn't you know, it's my rear brakes squealing.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
But hey let's look on the bright side, at least the second headliner hasn't started showing water stains yet!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am about to begin that process as well. Would love feedback from others who have gone through the process. Our car is going on 5 weeks in the shop. Extremely disappointed because we love the car; but a $55k paper weight does us no good.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
So now we are back to square one with a comment I made when the leak originally showed up. Each time the leak has shown up, it's been in very heavy rain overnight on an incline. We are talking 2-4 inches of rain each time. The only reason that I ever discovered it was because the water migrated down from the back of the sunroof to the rear pillars, where it seeped out. I then was able to notice the subtle water stains on the headliner, but not until I saw it coming out of the pillars and pooling in the plastic rear compartment.

We are back to square one because we still do not know what's causing it, but it wasn't what the Volvo field tech that came out thought it was. We all thought that it was a one-off assembly issue, ok, fine I can live with that. But now we do not know what it is. What if thousands of cars have this design flaw and it is yet to be discovered because the specific constraints of sustained, overnight heavy rain parked on an incline has only happened in my case? If I had to put money on it, I'd bet that this isn't widespread design flaw.. But who knows???

·
Registered
79 Posts
I bet they will take years to figure it out. I was never impressed the Volvo "engineers" that flew in. I was able to get a full refund because I was willing to drive their loaner for a year if need be. The local lemon law can be instituted at the one year mark and requires Volvo to change the title to a lemon title. They wanted to keep that from happening so they could sell my piece of crap to some poor unassuming bastard. They first wanted to give me a replacement but I held firm and was willing to wait closer to the one year mark. Plus Volvo is required by law to pay your attorney fees incurred in Oklahoma. They knew I had them over a barrel.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
When parked in the incline, was front of the car higher than the rear or the rear higher than the front?

I only ask because whenever I wash my car it is on an incline in my driver with the front higher and the rear lower. Washing my car is a ritual for me, lol, so it takes a while and I use a lot of water rinsing. I've never had water inside bolinp78.

I truly feel for you, water getting into places it shouldn't is absolutely no good.

·
Registered
419 Posts
So now we are back to square one with a comment I made when the leak originally showed up. Each time the leak has shown up, it's been in very heavy rain overnight on an incline. We are talking 2-4 inches of rain each time. The only reason that I ever discovered it was because the water migrated down from the back of the sunroof to the rear pillars, where it seeped out. I then was able to notice the subtle water stains on the headliner, but not until I saw it coming out of the pillars and pooling in the plastic rear compartment.

We are back to square one because we still do not know what's causing it, but it wasn't what the Volvo field tech that came out thought it was. We all thought that it was a one-off assembly issue, ok, fine I can live with that. But now we do not know what it is. What if thousands of cars have this design flaw and it is yet to be discovered because the specific constraints of sustained, overnight heavy rain parked on an incline has only happened in my case? If I had to put money on it, I'd bet that this isn't widespread design flaw.. But who knows???
A negative post is a post without basis. A constructive criticism and complaint is a post with a basis. Yours is clearly the latter. People should not be trying to push you off or minimize your issue. Water should not be leaking into the XC 90.

Field techs are generally good, but not universally so. The time has come to give the dealer the SUV to be stored under cover and have Volvo send in someone who can handle the issue. It may not be widespread, but I doubt you are the only one. Volvo needs to give you an appropriate loaner, not charge you for the fuel, and work on the SUV until they have solved the problem. It may be a pain but its much better if Volvo has the vehicle -- their can't be an excuses that the SUV was not there when they needed it to be there.

Be strong! Good luck.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It just all goes to show you that sometimes no matter how many awards a car wins, no matter how damn comfortable the front seats are (you won't want to leave the vehicle they are so damn comfortable), no matter how "brand defining" the car is, no matter how impressed and jealous your wife's stay at home mom friends are, this CAN and DOES become completely nullified and thrown in the mud. This process has actually been eye opening for me and I have learned a lot.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
When parked in the incline, was front of the car higher than the rear or the rear higher than the front?

I only ask because whenever I wash my car it is on an incline in my driver with the front higher and the rear lower. Washing my car is a ritual for me, lol, so it takes a while and I use a lot of water rinsing. I've never had water inside bolinp78.

I truly feel for you, water getting into places it shouldn't is absolutely no good.
The front is higher; As I said, the water migrated from the rear of the sunroof to the rear pillars and seeped out. The dealership said the same thing that you did. That's how they tested it, they ran it through the wash and of course, they could not reproduce the issue. Well, to me whether you're running it through the auto wash or using the hose, it's completely different than the car sitting in a sustained heavy rain overnight, where the car is saturated for hours and hours and also does not move for hours and hours (12-24 hours, rain lasting all night each time). The kind of rain that keeps you up at night it's so loud. Completely different situation.

Sorry but I will not be convinced that there are a whole lot of 2016 XC90 owners that have had their cars on inclines for 12-24 hours in heavy rain of 2-4 inches that has literally subsisted overnight.

·
Registered
79 Posts
It just all goes to show you that sometimes no matter how many awards a car wins, no matter how damn comfortable the front seats are (you won't want to leave the vehicle they are so damn comfortable), no matter how "brand defining" the car is, no matter how impressed and jealous your wife's stay at home mom friends are, this CAN and DOES become completely nullified and thrown in the mud. This process has actually been eye opening for me and I have learned a lot.
I concur 100%

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
A negative post is a post without basis. A constructive criticism and complaint is a post with a basis. Yours is clearly the latter. People should not be trying to push you off or minimize your issue. Water should not be leaking into the XC 90.

Field techs are generally good, but not universally so. The time has come to give the dealer the SUV to be stored under cover and have Volvo send in someone who can handle the issue. It may not be widespread, but I doubt you are the only one. Volvo needs to give you an appropriate loaner, not charge you for the fuel, and work on the SUV until they have solved the problem. It may be a pain but its much better if Volvo has the vehicle -- their can't be an excuses that the SUV was not there when they needed it to be there.

Be strong! Good luck.
My headliner has now been saturated twice. I do not know the inner workings of the speakers and how they are integrated under the headliner, but to me it's a miracle that there hasn't been any damage to them since the headliner has been saturated around them each time. Water has seeped through both pillars and saturated the rear carpet. Now that this has happened a second time, coupled with the water aggregating in the door footwells and spilling out when I open the doors, I will not look at this car the same again. It's just a defective product to me now. I like to think that I do not become attached to "things" when I purchase them but then I'd be lying, especially when plunking down a check for over $60,000. If we had leased this car for 3 years, I'd be laughing it off. And yea, they gave me 3 more years on the warranty which was nice, but that does not undo what has been done.

And let's not even think about bringing up the dreaded "S" word in this thread.. Software. shhhhhh

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Why on earth would someone fall for the lure of being "first" for an all new car, with all new platform & architecture, from a firm emerging from a near-death experience?

Of course, I've bought first year cars twice, Eclipse was love at first sight in a car rag, Sienna was as we counted the days until twins arrived. In both cases, had to do it.

I'll never do first year again, except of course until I do because I can't help myself.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Why on earth would someone fall for the lure of being "first" for an all new car, with all new platform & architecture, from a firm emerging from a near-death experience?

Of course, I've bought first year cars twice, Eclipse was love at first sight in a car rag, Sienna was as we counted the days until twins arrived. In both cases, had to do it.

I'll never do first year again, except of course until I do because I can't help myself.
Timing. Wife's car. Trusting the process and the longtime manufacturer.

·
Registered
478 Posts
There can't be a "second" without a "first." Plus, my 740 is almost 25 years old, with lots of miles on it, no heat, and barely any AC.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Timing. Wife's car. Trusting the process and the longtime manufacturer.
Yeah I get it. When I graduated from college I didn't even have a bike. Hence the Eclipse. Twins were kids 2 & 3, hence Sienna.

I vow to never do first year again, but if the XC Coupe ever happens I'll probably be the first in line.

·
Banned
763 Posts
As many of you know, I have had many issues with the car, whether it be issues with the software, mostly things that other people have complained about, or leaking issues in the rear of the car. We've had the car for 2-3 months and it's been in the shop for several weeks in total.

After being in service for a week and a half, the leak was proclaimed 'fixed'. They had a Volvo field tech come out specifically to look at my car (he flew in for all I know), and he found that during the manufacturing/assembly process the sunroof drain was installed incorrectly so that it was pinched, making it overflow and the leak possible. I was shown pictures of this, and even to the untrained eye it appeared that they had solved the problem. After completely replacing the headliner my car was given back.

After this occurred, I called Volvo and they agreed to extend my 4 year warranty to 7. Excellent. Fast forward to today. We had heavy rains last night, and the car was left out in the driveway. You'll likely recognize the picture below, as I had posted a very similar one a month ago when the first leak occurred. Oh and when I opened the rear driver side door, a deluge of water spilled out and got all over my boots, much like it had when the first leak occurred. I know that a few of you have gone through the process of selling your car back to Volvo, if anyone could chime in and/or PM me I would appreciate it, as I am going to begin this process. Oh, and my brakes are now screeching at 3,000 miles. Man I love this car.

I am about to begin that process as well. Would love feedback from others who have gone through the process. Our car is going on 5 weeks in the shop. Extremely disappointed because we love the car; but a $55k paper weight does us no good.
I bet they will take years to figure it out. I was never impressed the Volvo "engineers" that flew in. I was able to get a full refund because I was willing to drive their loaner for a year if need be. The local lemon law can be instituted at the one year mark and requires Volvo to change the title to a lemon title. They wanted to keep that from happening so they could sell my piece of crap to some poor unassuming bastard. They first wanted to give me a replacement but I held firm and was willing to wait closer to the one year mark. Plus Volvo is required by law to pay your attorney fees incurred in Oklahoma. They knew I had them over a barrel.
Wow...three people who either have returned their XC90s or are planning to in one thread. You don't see that every day.

1 - 20 of 178 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.