SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my '67 122 I have a b20 with twin SU carbs. I parked it a yesterday and it won't start today. It was running fine up until now. I checked and it is getting spark at the sparkplugs and fuel to the carbs. I cleaned up the spark plugs but that didn't do anything. There is not even a hint of catching. I can't see how anything like the timing would be off since it ran perfect when parked. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Devin;

I have to believe you when you say you have fuel and spark...

Even in the summer, a little enrichment (choke) is necessary to help starting. Jets should drop some when pulling choke control.

Good Hunting!

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
My guess is that the fuel is fooling you.

Some quick tests: Try some starter fluid, or just pour a tiny bit of gas into the manifold. If it catches and dies, the fuel is fooling you.

You could check timing also.

An engine needs only a few things to run: spark (on time), fuel, and compression. Be sure you have all of them.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
If you have access to an ignition timing light, that is a really quick way of confirming that the ignition timing is correct. I won't speculate on why the timing might have changed overnight other than s**t happens. You have already confirmed that spark is occurring. Once you confirm that the timing is correct then you can focus on the other primary requirement of fuel.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A while ago, and probably fixed by now, but was wonder what your fix was. I have '66 122s B18D and had a similar situation and turned out that valve in fuel pump lost a gasket. Replaced fuel pump and back in business.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts