SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two weeks ago on Saturday I was at Wal Mart and a lady in a SUV backed into the left rear door of my R caR. It scratched the door once above and once below the rubber trim, small scratches about two inches long. <br>I thought the scratches would buff out, but the body shop said they were too deep and the would have to repaint the door. The owner of the body shop said they would have to remove everything from the door as they would have to completely re spray the clear-coat or it would peel. Total of the estimate was $432.44, I got the estimate monday after work.<br>Later that night I called the lady who backed into my car and she agreed to pay the body shop the full amount on Tuesday, as she had a $500.00 deductible.<br>Tuesday after work I called the body shop to see if she had paid them and she had. My lucky day. So I arranged for the work to be done this week. <br>Last weekend I noticed two more minor places in the door, but I figured since they had to strip the entire door to clear-coat the door they would fix these as well.<br>Monday night I dropped the caR of at the body shop for repairs. Last night I picked up the caR. Today after work I took the caR back because I had questions about the job they had done.<br>First thing I asked them about was the front left doors rear edge was all rough and had something of a slightly different color on it. There response was it was touch-up paint, and they often as a courtesy touch up chips in the caR. Then i noticed touch-up paint on the outer rear portion of the same door. Then I asked about the scratches in the rear inch of the rubber trim on that door. None of these chips or scratches were there before. It appears as if the scratches were caused by them sanding the left rear door, and I have no clue how they chipped the paint on that door.<br>The left rear door which they repainted also had touch up paint on its rear edge, WTF. The two minor places are still there, they clear-coated over them. The scratches are fixed. The inner door panel is missing a color coordinated push-pin fastener. The window is still covered with there finger prints, and there are tool marks on the door panel.<br>The owner of the body shop said they would have to repaint the left rear door to fix the minor scratches, and they would have to repaint the front door to fix the damage to it. <br>WTF, Now both doors need to be repainted? How the f**k do these places stay in business? What should I do now? I am tempted to go to another body shop and get another estimate. The shop that done the work wants me to bring it back next week so they can try buffing and more touchup paint to make it look better. They will probably make it worse. What should I do now?<br>__________________

·
Registered
16,965 Posts
RUN

·
Registered
180 Posts
Re: I Hate Body Shops (vlvman)

Man I have asked myself the same question how the F do they stay in business, I had a high end complete strip and paint of a classic and it was and is the biggest nightmare!! I too hate body shops with a passion!!!

·
Registered
973 Posts
Re: I Hate Body Shops (vlvman)

vlman im sorry to hear about your run in with this body shop. It happenes all the time to good people. If this body shop is a respectable business they will take your car back and repair it to the original look before the accident. Since you didnt go throught your insurance you dont have any 3rd party recourse to help mediate but the body shot should fix it. That whole touch up paint stuff is just crazy. <br>Did you pick this place or did she pick this place. I usually go to body shops that are referred from my insurance company (even if i dont make a claim) or I have noticed that yelp has been an awesome way to research a business before i work with them..<p>Good luck and let us know what comes of this!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: I Hate Body Shops (Token Blk Guy)

I picked the shop. The shop I was using (shop 1) I started having problems with them. The new shop (shop 2) owner was a previous employ at shop 1 and he started shop 2 about 6-7 years ago.

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
I've learned that they stay in business because a vast majority of the public never looks at their car from less than 10 feet away. Those of us that notice these details are about .1% of the population it seems.<p>When I had my C70 painted, the shop painted over the rock chips in the hood without sanding them out or filling them. I'm willing to bet that they do that all the time, and I'm one of very few customers that called them out on it.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
This is why I chose to replace my two driver's side doors with same color doors from Erie VoVo with some slight paint damage over having a body shop install two mismatched doors and paint the whole side of the car... I'm sure that would have just been a nightmare waiting to happen a few years down the road!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts