SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this truck from a friend and her friend of 20+ years is a mechanic.. And he ripped her off so much. The latest repair I did because of him is the front wheel bearings because he charged her for oem parts and he threw in the ebay special gbm that apparently sell for 37 dollars shipped. They lasted 1 year. Sounds about right.

Every few weeks I'm fixing something he touched. Whether it's atf in the power steering, or a broken air box from not aligning the hinges right.

Be careful who works in your car. Every time I replace something, it's something he touched.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Depends on car and year.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mines an 04 xc90. That's what the dealer told me I needed. I wasn't sure but was having problems with the pump whining and thought I had a leak but everything was dry. I flushed the system with some chf and its fine now. Are there xc90s that use atf?

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Other stuff I had to do after he did a few years ago was the sway bar links control arms and tie rod ends that he said he used volvo parts for, and charged her for, but they weren't volvo. I thought that all these parts were original and failing at 145k until I asked her about the wheel bearing brands because they looked new but were failing and she said she paid like 500 a wheel and that sounded outrageous for a job i can do in a parking lot in a half hour, so I Googled the part numbers and came up with ebay listings. One was moog the other was gbm and they were done a few months apart last year. So one of them is just under a year old, the moog.

I guess I'll be doing the rear wheel bearings next because he did those too and I'm guessing they aren't genuine volvo either. I have all the receipts from all the repairs he did and the prices he charged. So at least I knew what to check. It's not like he used other quality parts.. he used the cheapest parts available and charged her for the most expensive.

I was telling her that she should sue him because this is ridiculous.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Man made (synthesized) from a variety of natural elements (including mineral oil, which is a petroleum distillate): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_oil, http://www.synthetic-oil-technology.info/, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fischer–Tropsch_process

For the Audi, looks like CHF 7.1 http://www.pentosin.net/pressreleases/CRP-116_Pentosin_CHF7-1_V2.pdf is recommended, NOT miscible (mixable) with the Volvo approved CHF11 and CHF 202 (which can be mixed among themselves). I've used both 11 and 202 over the years, can't tell the difference.

ATF (Dex) or the like was used in earlier Volvos, can't remember when it got moved to power steering fluid exclusively, maybe late 90s?

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Audi switched to chf11s in like 1990, and recommended mixing 7.1 with 11s. They never even changed the part number of the fluids.

But even after the switch, the power steering cap still says "mineral type fluid", as late as my friends 2012 s4.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

You can see my confusion when calling it mineral oil. In audi land, chf11s is considered mineral oil.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Makes sense.

Still, getting back to your original topic, it's a real shame what this guy did to your "now new" ride. Hopefully over time you'll get everything back to completely right.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
She practically gave me the truck because of how expensive the repairs were and how many repairs he said it needed, that it didn't actually need. I bought it thinking it needed all these repairs and in reality it just needed the repairs she already paid for fixed. I guess the moral is, watch your mechanic like a hawk and be prepared for even a long term friend to be screwing you over.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts