SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as some of you know, I traded the R in last weekend for a 2011 Mazdaspeed3 with tech package. At almost 135k, the issues were only going to get worse and as much as I loved it, I wasn't willing to throw more money at it.

I know I'm gonna get alot of flame from everyone here, but please just go testdrive one and you'll see what I mean when I say that the handling is incredible and so is the acceleration. I definitely miss the soft seats and the ability to go from comfort to advanced instead of always being in bone jarring hard suspension, but I do like nonexistent body roll.

I'm still gonna be on SS because this forum is awesome! I so wanna stick a prancing moose on the back of this car, but I guess that would be weird.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Congrats on the new car.. I just wish they offered awd.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
So as some of you know, I traded the R in last weekend for a 2011 Mazdaspeed3 with tech package. At almost 135k, the issues were only going to get worse and as much as I loved it, I wasn't willing to throw more money at it.

I know I'm gonna get alot of flame from everyone here, but please just go testdrive one and you'll see what I mean when I say that the handling is incredible and so is the acceleration. I definitely miss the soft seats and the ability to go from comfort to advanced instead of always being in bone jarring hard suspension, but I do like nonexistent body roll.

I'm still gonna be on SS because this forum is awesome! I so wanna stick a prancing moose on the back of this car, but I guess that would be weird.
First, I'm still here a few years later so yeah, this forum is cool.

Second, those must be WAY better than the first gens because I hated the one I drove when thinking about selling the R.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I mean congrats on the new car, but sorry about FWD

Why didnt you go with a WRX at least?
I had an 03 wrx and I wasn't a fan. I hated FWD cars until I testdrove this and the Focus St.. Yeah, the grip in 1st gear isn't there, but after that, its just amazing. Here are some numbers:

Slalom for MS3: 72.4 mph For the R: 67.2 mph -- Note, that's better than the M3 and Cayman S... Only 1mph short of the 2013 GT-R...
Skidpad for MS3: .91g for the R: .88g --- Better than most performance cars

The grip is amazing, so I'm not sure what I can hate about the FWD. The understeer is not bad at all compared to the R. In fact it seems a little tail happy due to weight distribution. I'm obviously not hating on the R, but I'm trying to show that just because its fwd, it doesn't automatically mean bad handling.

First, I'm still here a few years later so yeah, this forum is cool.

Second, those must be WAY better than the first gens because I hated the one I drove when thinking about selling the R.
Yeah they tweaked the whole car. Less torque steer and 4mph better in the slaloms than the 1st gen, so yeah it's a completely new car.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Zoom zoom with a big smiley face? Something with that car's design just doesn't do it for me.

LOL Anyway good luck Giorgi, I still think your R wasn't going to be the money pit leech that you were thinking. But I don't blame you since you don't work on your car as much as some others do on this forum and walked away from mechanic work and labor costs.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Congrats on the purchase man! The cars a nice on paper but I never liked that front bumper - naturally the can be cured/changed by a different front bumper/body kit, but most body kits for this car is, well, too 'young' IMO. :)

But it is a nice car, my exwife has one and I drove it and worked on it a few times, fun cars and practical.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Zoom zoom with a big smiley face? Something with that car's design just doesn't do it for me.

LOL Anyway good luck Giorgi, I still think your R wasn't going to be the money pit leech that you were thinking. But I don't blame you since you don't work on your car as much as some others do on this forum and walked away from mechanic work and labor costs.
Thanks man. Yeah I try to do my best on working on cars. I changed oil replaced endlinks tie rods etc... but I couldn't replace the angle gear myself becaues I don't have a lift. The 100k bumper to bumper warranty is awesome to have now.

Congrats on the purchase man! The cars a nice on paper but I never liked that front bumper - naturally the can be cured/changed by a different front bumper/body kit, but most body kits for this car is, well, too 'young' IMO. :)

But it is a nice car, my exwife has one and I drove it and worked on it a few times, fun cars and practical.

Haha the smile is a little weird, but it's growing on me, plus I don't see if from the drivers seat :p
Also its not really noticeable on black. It sure is a fun car to drive. Back roads are amazing.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I love them, congrats on the new car!

·
6,436 Posts
having a FWD car would make me miss doing donuts in the snow too much :)

no but seriously congrats - a new car is a new car and should make you happy for a few weeks

·
Registered
686 Posts
Hey man I'm happy you got what you want and you had fun in your R while you had it..

That being said ummmmm good luck! What's that cost new 30,000?

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey man I'm happy you got what you want and you had fun in your R while you had it..

That being said ummmmm good luck! What's that cost new 30,000?
They start at $23,000. This has the tech package with Bose speakers and subwoofer, navigation, and keyless entry and start, some advanced anti theft bs and so on haha. It cost me total of $20200 with the 100k mile bumper to bumper warranty I bought.

·
Registered
2005 S60R, 2021 XC60 T6 Inscription AWD
1,416 Posts
my buddy has one. great handling car out of the box and can sound pretty good. I cant stand the torque steer in it though even with the solid mounts

Yeah they tweaked the whole car. Less torque steer and 4mph better in the slaloms than the 1st gen, so yeah it's a completely new car.
thats not really true. most of the changes were cosmetic.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
my buddy has one. great handling car out of the box and can sound pretty good. I cant stand the torque steer in it though even with the solid mounts

thats not really true. most of the changes were cosmetic.
Quote from edmunds: "Glad To Meet You Again
Our first clue about where Mazda has been spending the brunt of its engineering resources came to us when the 2010 Mazdaspeed 3 threaded our slalom cones fully 4.6 mph faster than the outgoing car."

And solid mounts aren't for torque steer. They're to reduce the engine rocking back and fourth during hard shifts. The stock rear engine mounts are soooo flexible. I gotta get the inserts.

The new car is slower to 60 than the old because of the torque reduction to limit the torque steer and not let you beat on the drive train as much. But it's faster in the 1/4 mile. So I'd say it's a pretty different car.

·
Registered
2005 S60R, 2021 XC60 T6 Inscription AWD
1,416 Posts
Quote from edmunds: "Glad To Meet You Again
Our first clue about where Mazda has been spending the brunt of its engineering resources came to us when the 2010 Mazdaspeed 3 threaded our slalom cones fully 4.6 mph faster than the outgoing car."

And solid mounts aren't for torque steer. They're to reduce the engine rocking back and fourth during hard shifts. The stock rear engine mounts are soooo flexible. I gotta get the inserts.

The new car is slower to 60 than the old because of the torque reduction to limit the torque steer and not let you beat on the drive train as much. But it's faster in the 1/4 mile. So I'd say it's a pretty different car.
I guess I went to quickly and worded things incorrectly.

First let me say in no way am I trying to put down your new purchase! They are great cars in most every aspect! I really enjoy my friend's for the most part.

What I mean to say is there are actually very few tweaks to the entire car between gen1 and 2 aside from cosmetic changes interior and exterior. The gen 2 did get suspension upgrades in stiffer dampers, longer gear ratios, the electronic differential lock (which you noted to help eliminate the torque steer), and i believe the steering rack was changed. The stock tires are also wider.

The solid mounts also help to reduce the torque steer because there is less movement in the engine and transmission.

The new car looks great and the tech package is nice. my friend also has it. I am sure you will enjoy the car!

(anyone remember when I posted my friends after a detail and got flamed?)

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I guess I went to quickly and worded things incorrectly.

First let me say in no way am I trying to put down your new purchase! They are great cars in most every aspect! I really enjoy my friend's for the most part.

What I mean to say is there are actually very few tweaks to the entire car between gen1 and 2 aside from cosmetic changes interior and exterior. The gen 2 did get suspension upgrades in stiffer dampers, longer gear ratios, the electronic differential lock (which you noted to help eliminate the torque steer), and i believe the steering rack was changed. The stock tires are also wider.

The solid mounts also help to reduce the torque steer because there is less movement in the engine and transmission.

The new car looks great and the tech package is nice. my friend also has it. I am sure you will enjoy the car!

(anyone remember when I posted my friends after a detail and got flamed?)
No worries man, I wasn't trying to be defensive. :)

·
Registered
520 Posts
Congrats!
I went from a 2007 Speed 3 to my VR.
I do miss the Speed 3 a lot of the time. TONS of mods available for it. Even stock, it sounded great. At the time we needed something a little bigger, and all wheel drive.
The handling of the Speed 3 was amazing, and the ride was firm but not tooth-chattering jarring by any means.
It was extremely reliable for me too.
I'm not a fan of the smiley face or the buck-tooth beaver face of the new steering wheel.
If they put in awd, I'd reconsider one for sure though!
Now, go explore CP-e and COBB options for it and report back!
Cheers.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts